Ontario's Provincial Fishing Strategy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ontario's Provincial Fishing Strategy

Post by smitty55 »

With the recent discussions on stocking programs this has come up at a good time. The MNR has a draft Provincial Fish Strategy on the EBR registry. I haven't read it yet, over 300 pages, but if anyone wants to, you have until May 21 to submit comments. How much attention politicians with pay to the average guy is another question. Hopefully they will to some degree.

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Craig S
Participant
Participant

Re: Ontario's Provincial Fishing Strategy

Post by Craig S »

Thanks for posting that, Smitty. I suspect that the reading may get a little dense and bureaucratic, but if this is the future then it pays to be informed.

Craig
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Yes that is fairly heavy going and for the most part I am not really happy with what I see. There is one thing that comes through VERY loud and clear, and that is the MNR's emphasis on Aboriginal issues, whether treaty-based or otherwise. Here is an interesting snippet that pretty much sums up what many pages are describing:

Objective 2.2: Allocate fish resources considering the needs and interests of all users
Allocation is a process that divides the resource or access to it amongst resource users, determining who, how and when users will harvest the resource. Conservation of the resource is the first priority. After conservation, existing Aboriginal and treaty rights take priority over other uses. Remaining available fish are managed for the benefit of recreational, commercial food and bait fisheries.

Translation: if you do not happen to be an Aboriginal person, you are the tail end Charlie. The newspeak does not only consider the legal rights recognized in treaties; it creates an entirely new set of "Aboriginal rights" which, by the language (Aboriginal and treaty rights) apparently sets up a new set of NON-TREATY Aboriginal rights. Welcome to second-class citizen status. I don't think anybody objects to treaty rights, which have an historical basis. But creating NEW "RIGHTS" for one class of Ontario citizens is just plain wrong, in my view.

McWynnety Lieberals at it again.......... :evil:
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Unfortunately I think you may be right there Doug. Don't forget that when it comes to aboriginal matters the Feds usually have some input as well. It's a real shame when politics become involved and the rights of a minority takes precedent over the majority of people whose taxes support government programs. I have absolutely nothing against natives but all people should be treated equally. This government has a horrible track record when it comes to dealing with native issues as they don't have the balls to act in the favor of most citizens because it might make them look bad in the eyes of the left leaning world.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter