Hello and A Request

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Hello and A Request

Post by Bobber »

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been involved in the site...and fishing in general due to my need to take a little break from it all, and I do appreciate your understanding in this manner. I'd also like to thanks the moderators, and the community in general for keeping things running during my absence. Fish-Hawk's been around for a while, and I had thought of just shutting it down, however after talking with a few people, I've come to realize that there are a lot who really enjoy the site and being able to converse about this great sport. For that reason, I can't push myself to just let it go.....I will continue to run and maintain the site, with of course the great help of the community and moderators. I will get back into the swing of things...just taking me a little longer than I had anticipated.

In any case, I hope everyone's winter is going well and you're getting out on the ice for some hard water fishing.

My request: As you know, the site was down for a while in the past couple of weeks due to a HUGE amount of e-mail that was sent from the site. I had thought it was SPAMMERS from overseas, however I believe I have found the problem. Someone from the site, a user, sent multiple Private Messages and copied EVERYONE....over 6000 members. I don't think it was intentional or this person was aware of the impact their message would have, but that generated a HUGE amount of notifications via e-mail, and hence the site was suspended for abusing the mail system. It's been corrected now, however I've had to limit the number of recipients of PM's. I've chosen 10, as I don't think anyone has any reason to sent PM's to more than 10 people at the same time. So......please make sure that when you sent PM's, they are destined for people who would be expecting to receive a PM from you, or you have particular business with....that will avoid any problems in the future...but the limitation will help as well.

Anyway...have a great winter. I'm starting to get back into things now, and hopefully by the time the soft water hits, I'll be back in full swing. You don't need me anyway...the site runs itself for the most part....with your help of course.

Thanks and cheers.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hello and A Request

Post by smitty55 »

Hello Rob. It is us who should be thanking you, as otherwise we wouldn't have this site to use for our enjoyment. So thanks for keeping it going and good luck with everything.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

smitty55 wrote:Hello Rob. It is us who should be thanking you, as otherwise we wouldn't have this site to use for our enjoyment. So thanks for keeping it going and good luck with everything.

Cheers

What he said. Too bad you had to waste your time on that.

Stay healthy Rob!

Doug
Last edited by Doug on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Thanks guys...will do.

I'm not sure if you can call it stupidity.....cause that might have been on my part leaving it open and unlimited....oops. The message sent was actually a valid message, just done in the wrong way...like it was meant to be a post, and was like they did it....didn't see the post (cause it's a private message), and thought they'd try it again. There are many who may not be as versed in Message Boards as others and are still learning.....it was a one time thing and I hold nothing against the act or the person who did it....it's all good...just a little hiccup that resulted in some further tweaks. :) No problems....
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

That "guy" did apologize and mentioned it was an accident. He's a new member on Fish-Hawk.
Last edited by TheMaverick on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Daboss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Daboss »

I've looked at many fishing sites for eastern Ontario area...this is the best!
Losing it would be hard to take. :cry:
Damn right I'm good in the sack...I can sleep for hours!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I don't comment as much as I used too, but this site is awesome.

Fish Hawk and BBC are my favorite sites.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

thanks Rob for keeping this site going many of us at capital dodge enjoy the content all of it .lets get a day on the water again youve got my number .

neil :tacklebox:
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Ya, thanks Bobber for keeping this puppy running.

I might forget about it during the winter, but come soft water, I'm on this thing every lunch hour.

Thanks,

E
Hank Jr
Participant
Participant

Post by Hank Jr »

Great site have been coming here a lot of years and learned a lot . Thanks for a good job
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

Been away for a few years but happy to see this site still active. Will be participating more actively . Take care and a big thank you for what you have done here.
Life goes on