Italo Labignan

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Italo Labignan

Post by TheDon »

With the statistics of fish mortality based on handling practices, I can't believe that this is the man that is teaching people how to handle fish. Am I crazy, or is every fish he catches probably going to die? It upsets me that he makes money off of promoting conservation when he's killing almost every fish he catches. Here's the video that upset me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybwbOF2u9Es . He's fishing private water, I feel bad for the owners that gave him permission to fish it.

*Fixed video* -TBA
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Italo Labignan

Post by cprince »

Thanks for the video. I am not certain what is wrong with how they are handling the fish...? What am I missing? It looks like they are being released quickly and they are not handling them...

So... what *should* they be doing to maximize their likelihood of survival? Short of not fishing at all, I think they are being as careful as I would be should I want to return a perfectly edible fish to the water.

Craig
TheDon
Participant
Participant

Post by TheDon »

cprince wrote:Thanks for the video. I am not certain what is wrong with how they are handling the fish...? What am I missing? It looks like they are being released quickly and they are not handling them...

So... what *should* they be doing to maximize their likelihood of survival? Short of not fishing at all, I think they are being as careful as I would be should I want to return a perfectly edible fish to the water.

Craig
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. Firstly, they should keep the net in the water. As you can see with the fish flipping on the snow and into the net, lots of slime is removed. Secondly, which Is likely in cold temperatures, they shouldn't be keeping the fish out of water as long as they are doing. Thirdly, at times the hold them vertically and by the gills. That is probably the easiest way to kill a fish. Fourthly, they make no effort to hold the tail to revive the fish, and instead poke them with the net to hide the fact that the fish are belly up, which works as the visibility is poor. I'm all for catch and release fishing, but if it's done it should be done right.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

cprince wrote:I think they are being as careful as I would.....
In a softly moderated manner, I chuckled.... :wink:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

OH NO not the fish hawk police ......run for your livessssssssssssssssssssssss :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

fishin mission wrote:OH NO not the fish hawk police ......run for your livessssssssssssssssssssssss :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:laughing-rolling:
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Does Italo creep anyone else out???
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Not to cut the guy down BUT

Both Italo and Wazchuck have been fined numerous times for fishing infractions.
Body hooking, fishing-out-of season, poaching, fishing in sanctuaries etc.

These charges stem back to 1999.

The last complaint I'd have is him teaching handling.....how about following regulations!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

biggs wrote:Does Italo creep anyone else out???
:| Yes..

Thing is a lot of people, like the OP, seem to stress a lot about the catch and release.
Fish survive a lot of things, yes we should be careful when handling them even more so if you don't plan on eating it.

How many here have caught a fish with a missing eye, partial fins missing or wounded?

I think he did a pretty good job.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Not to cut the guy down BUT

Both Italo and Wazchuck have been fined numerous times for fishing infractions.
Body hooking, fishing-out-of season, poaching, fishing in sanctuaries etc.

These charges stem back to 1999.

The last complaint I'd have is him teaching handling.....how about following regulations!
So if your intent was not to cut a guy down for something that he probably regrets doing 15 years ago. What was the intent by bringing it up?

Has he been caught doing it since then?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well MLR good point.

I find it odd that two individuals who have shows about fishing have been known and convicted of breaking the law when it regards fishing regulations.
Why would you reward them? Irrelevant if they haven't done anything recently. They have a documented past of breaking the rules and being found guilty.

So why would I want to listen to someone tell me how to handle fish when they cannot follow rules?

Kinda like Superman telling me to return my library books on time while he sleeps with Lois Lane and WonderWoman..... :?
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Kinda like Superman telling me to return my library books on time while he sleeps with Lois Lane and WonderWoman..... :?
Wait whattt??? :shock:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
bassman
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman »

I'm not a fan of either Italo or Wazchuk, since the days of all their charges and convictions and the fact that they don't take ownership in all the wrong they did. I have tuned them out, I have not watched a single show and never stop to listen to them if they are speaking at a fishing show.

Bassman
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

ShawnD wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Kinda like Superman telling me to return my library books on time while he sleeps with Lois Lane and WonderWoman..... :?
Wait whattt??? :shock:
That's my point.
I fail to see why I should be listening to or following someone's advice when they themselves aren't being 100% kosher.

Don't tell me how to handle fish when you've been caught poaching them (a few times).

I'm not calling him creepy etc I am basing my opinion on fact.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Didnt really see anything worse than whats on every other fishing show, yes ideally have the fish in the water the whole time and the other precautions you mentioned but they also have a job to do and they need to show the fish for tv.
As for all the stuff with the fines that happened years ago, more than 20 I beleive. Yes it was a bonehead move and wanting to get a show on film made them do some unethical things but sadly this sort of thing happens all the time. How they got caught was that an employee that was pee pee at them for an unrelated matter gave unused footage to the MNR to get them in crap. I have heard similar stories of rehooking fish for tv and worse from a number of different shows. I suspect if you dug through unedited footage from any fishing show you would find stuff that would not be legal. Hell I have even seen one of my favourite tv host air a scene where he openly violated a slot limit! Of course just because it happens alot doesnt make it right, just trying to provide some context.

edit Just noticed how the site automatically edits certain words, classic. guess I have a bit of a potty mouth.