Muskie Guys -- NEED your opinion

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Muskie Guys -- NEED your opinion

Post by lapointeric »

I need 2 opinions actually...

1.) Who do you recommend for reproductions (high quality / reasonable cost)? I know LAX does an amazing job, but anyone local do as good of a job? Lowery?

2.) I never measured her, but I did get her weight...

Do you think this is fairly accurate?

Other photos for reference:

Thanks,

E
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Muskie Guys -- NEED your opinion

Post by jona38 »

I would say your estimates are accurate. Based on the Muskies Canada weight calculator a 51''x18'' would weight around 21lbs. Photos can be tricky to judge but it sure does look long and slim. I wouldn't argue with you over it. Nice catch regardless, to bad you didn't get her in Nov. Jon
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Sorry man, but I do not think your measurements are accurate. What if your hands are actually 22 inches apart? Far from an exact science.

I would ballpark that fish at around 46-47 inches with a 16 inch girth. Measurements are always over estimated, especially girth. If I were you I wouldn't bother with a repro of that fish... I would go catch a bigger one, get actual accurate measurements and get a replica of that fish.

Advanced Taxidermy?

I personally don't feel that I have seen very many reproduced muskies in person that looked all that great.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I tend to agree with Relic on this one...
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Relic wrote:Sorry man, but I do not think your measurements are accurate. What if your hands are actually 22 inches apart? Far from an exact science.

I would ballpark that fish at around 46-47 inches with a 16 inch girth. Measurements are always over estimated, especially girth. If I were you I wouldn't bother with a repro of that fish... I would go catch a bigger one, get actual accurate measurements and get a replica of that fish.

Advanced Taxidermy?

I personally don't feel that I have seen very many reproduced muskies in person that looked all that great.

Fair enough, and that's why I asked for opinions.

BUT, the 24" distance is actually a super modest estimate, it's probably closer to 25"-26". And, if I punch in your estimate of a 46" x 16" fish here (http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/weighit.asp) I get a 14.75 lb fish. When I know for sure it was a 20.5lb fish.

I have great pics, and approximate sizes, why the heck not get a beauty replica for the man cave.

E
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

How about measuring the width of your four fingers and seeing how many of those you get a cross the length of the fish?
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

zippyfx wrote:How about measuring the width of your four fingers and seeing how many of those you get a cross the length of the fish?
I agree, right now it looks like your fingers are one inch each with that ruler...Again it still ends up being guess work cause a half inch will make a huge difference in end.

Beauty fish my friend, go back to same spot next year and she'll be bigger!!
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Eric. It's a long fish and a great catch for ya dood. Never saw that one before. Not going to guess its size but am going to say that if it's one you really want for your wall, then do it. You will catch an even bigger fish one day I believe though... and so think about that and the costs for now.

A 7 1/2 pound walleye is above my head now, a fish that took plenty time to find up north, and a benchmark set to catch one over 5 pounds. Sometimes it's not the giant that has to hit the wall, but a goal met with a certain fish or, a fish you're just really proud of. The mount was cheap though, and well done too. If doing a 51-inch muskie you should have someone do it right... and that's gonna cost ya. Go Advanced and you'll be happy... but at about $20 per inch, plus shipping costs and taxes later. :)
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

zippyfx wrote:How about measuring the width of your four fingers and seeing how many of those you get a cross the length of the fish?
Good point! I'll look at that.

rex.stpierre wrote:Beauty fish my friend, go back to same spot next year and she'll be bigger!!
Thanks. And I'll make sure to go back in the fall!

Moosebunk wrote:Sometimes it's not the giant that has to hit the wall, but ... a fish you're just really proud of.
Nailed it.

Where'd you get the "cheap" one done?

Thanks All.

E
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Another update. Spoke to a nice fella at Lowery Taxidermy, he said that he literally couldn't find a mould for a fish this long and this skinny. Had a good laugh at that....

E
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Did you ask if he's ever done any small pythons? :D

The one pic of you pulling it out of the water does give a glimpse of how thick it could have been, but in the others it does kinda look like a snake compared to other fish of that size.

No offence intended, still a great catch.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

BigC wrote:Did you ask if he's ever done any small pythons? :D

The one pic of you pulling it out of the water does give a glimpse of how thick it could have been, but in the others it does kinda look like a snake compared to other fish of that size.

No offence intended, still a great catch.

No worries, skinny fish deserves to be made fun of. And I didn't even realize it until I looked at the pics how thin she was.

I asked him if he could saw the head off of two 25" fish and glue them together.

E
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

Advanced. Taxidermy in Oshawa area is pretty good to be honest I'd get a blown up picture and use that as your replica lol I priced out a 51" myself I caught and it was gonna be 1000$ just the fish replicated not including a mount or some wood with it... Wait till you get a monster not a 20 pounder you will catch another