Ice Reports - Ottawa River - Shirley's Bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ice Reports - Ottawa River - Shirley's Bay

Post by CCLad »

Thanks MLR, looks like we will give it a go next weekend. We will get it out there......
lafontaineshawn91
Participant
Participant

Post by lafontaineshawn91 »

Hey all
new user first time post..

I am just looking for a report from anyone who has been out to shirleys bay within the last week or so I am looking to go out on January First and was just wondering if anybody had an update on how much ice is out there

Thanks
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

---/-
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Hiya Shawn. Welcome to the site. As reported in the first post, on Dec 21 there was 6-8" of good black ice. Since then we had a big dump of snow. With this warm spell now who knows what that will do. Hopefully the snow will settle down and harden up with the upcoming cold snap. But the ice is plenty thick for fishing. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

------
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
mmason
Participant
Participant

Post by mmason »

We were out this afternoon (ended up off to the right of the launch area as seen when facing the river) and were a bit surprised to find quite a bit of slush on the ice. We were even more surprised to drill a couple of holes and discover water over topping them by well over an inch - what causes this?

The ice looked at least 6" thick (I gotta start carrying a tape), was clear and solid, and wasn't making any odd noises or cracking/spidering, but it was really wet fishing so we didn't stay long.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

mmason wrote:We were out this afternoon (ended up off to the right of the launch area as seen when facing the river) and were a bit surprised to find quite a bit of slush on the ice. We were even more surprised to drill a couple of holes and discover water over topping them by well over an inch - what causes this?.
The water on top of the ice is caused by the weight of the snow forcing water through the ice. It will not freeze, it is being insulated by the snow. We need a serious thaw/re-freeze for this to change.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
DougEh
Participant
Participant

Post by DougEh »

Anyone been out in a wheeler lately with this deep freeze? How was it getting around?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

DougEh wrote:Anyone been out in a wheeler lately with this deep freeze? How was it getting around?
If you have tracks on your quad you might be ok...I almost swamped my sled in slush here in Constance Bay a couple of days ago...if I was on my quad, I would have been in serious trouble..
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

-----
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
mmason
Participant
Participant

Post by mmason »

Gord wrote:The water on top of the ice is caused by the weight of the snow forcing water through the ice.
Meaning that the weight of snow/water on top of the ice has bowed it somewhat?
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

Shirley's had 16" on Saturday near the end of that plowed road, lots of solid ice with that slushy crap on top.
Full size F150 was driving out to the furthest hut no issues with the slush for him.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

mmason wrote:
Gord wrote:The water on top of the ice is caused by the weight of the snow forcing water through the ice.
Not 100% sure about the bowing......
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gord wrote:
mmason wrote:
Not 100% sure about the bowing......
Be sure Gord lol.

Ice is way, way more flexible than many people realize. By nature it needs to be, as it's floating on a liquid. Stand near a hole with 4" of ice and jump up and down and the water will seem to rise and fall. It's actually the ice moving. Be fishing on 10-14" of ice and when a truck goes by 50ft away and you can hear and sort of feel the ice moving. And then of course they are those wonderful loud groans and cracks that freak some folks out but are actually a good sign that there's some good ice being made. There is also a bad speed to drive on ice as it can set up a wave ahead of you, but damned if I remember the details. If it's close to shore the ice can break up.

I'm a bit surprised at 16" of ice considering all the snow that's been insulating things. That means the current areas may be over 8' by now, which is nice. And that's good news if a full size truck, 4x4 I assume, is getting around out there. That means some other "roads" may open further along up the bay and open up some more fishing options.

CCLad, did you figure out your problems yet?? Still need a hand?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Would you guys take a jeep liberty out on the ice Saturday the 4rth? Would a Honda civic be able to make it or is the road not hard enough yet?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.