Ice Fishing - Augers

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Ice Fishing - Augers

Post by Grizzly Grub »

It's inevitable, but in another couple months this forum will be making the shift to hardwater discussions. You can never be too prepared so I'm here to 'break the ice'. This winter will be my second season out on the ice, I learned a lot last year, most notably, manual augers are for the dogs...don't get me wrong, I've great respect for someone out there drilling holes old school, I did several dozen of my own last year however it only took the one season for me to contemplate mankind's magnificent technological advances and use it to my advantage. Hence the decision to purchase a gas powered auger this season.

I've done a pile of reading product specs, reviews and the such over the past few weeks and have come to the general conclusion that pretty much all augers nowadays are quality machines, primarily speaking of Jiffy, Strikemaster, and Eskimo brands. I know there are other brands out there but would like to stick to the mainstream for sake of common ground amongst the majority of ice fishermen.
I haven't completely made up my mind yet as to where I'm going to put my dollars, I can say I'm leaning towards a 4-stroke or possibly even giving one of the newer Propane models offered by Jiffy a try...only complaint I've heard/read about them is that there on the heavy side, but fortunately for Jiffy they've introduced a new Propane 'lite' model this year.

All that being said, I'm just curious as to what all you out there are running for the hardwater season? What's your experience with certain brands and models, what do you know or heard of about others? I've read a good number of reviews online already, but I'd like to get a local feel to whats guys (and/or gals of course!) are using to punch through the ice.

Thanks for any input you can put forth, I hope this to be some good information for myself but also other "first-time" auger buyers making the plunge.
ImageImage
snapper
Participant
Participant

Re: Ice Fishing - Augers

Post by snapper »

Hi Guy, I have been running an Eskimo Shark 55 cc for the past 3 years now and it has never let me down, it starts easy and has plenty of power. Every year it never fail to start up on first or second pull. I do look after it by draining the gas at the end of season and using new stabilized gas at the start of new season. One thing I found....plenty of new friends want to take you fishing...have them tow the auger.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Seaweed »

Just a hint.... Buy Jiffy 3hp or buy nothing... 8 inch is lots. These buggers are bulletproof. There are lots of choices but nothing has punched more holes that Jiffy over the years.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

This is my second winter back into ice fishing as well.
After going out once and trying a defunct manual auger I decided to hunt for a gas powered one. I got a 3 hp Jiffy on Kijiji for 150.
Now ... I like ice fishing more. Well - it is easier to drill the holes anyway. This year I hope to find the fish. ;)
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Gas all the way. CT usually has their rapala gas augers on sale once a year( at least last two years) for about half price. Something to keep you eye out for. Had mine for a few ears and no problems yet (knock on wood).
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I'm with Seaweed.They are bulletproof. I bought my Jiffy from Britannia bait and tackle back in the 80's and it has only ever been serviced once. It was the auger we always brought on our 4 day winter vacations so it's seen a lot of miles and use. I'd rather have more than not enough so I bought a 9" instead, and I'm glad I did, specially for those real cold windy days where the holes have a high shrink factor. Plus I never had a prob reopening old holes with it, which I would never do with a hand auger.
I wouldn't be shy about buying a used Jiffy if it still looks cosmetically good. Good time of year to look now too.

Good luck with whatever you get. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Thanks for the replies so far guys.....I do have to say I'm leaning quite heavily towards a Jiffy at this moment, just not quite sure on what model (they've been around since 1951, so they must know what there doing). I do know for sure that I am going to purchase new and not second hand. As much as I like saving some dollars by getting second hand there is just certain things I'm more comfortably purchasing new, you just never know how an old auger may have been used and abused, I'm willing to bet some guys have tried digging post holes them.
Speaking of saving some dollars, it pays to do your research....for example the Strikemaster Honda 35cc Lite (8-inch). Canadian Tire sells it for a $699.99 CDN. Now ThorneBros sells same auger for $579.00 US, they have free shipping to lower 48, so a quick drive to Ogdensburg,NY and your good to go. One more example, the Eskimo Shark Z51 (8"-inch), Canadian Tire sells for $499.99 CDN, ThorneBros sells for $339.99 US, again with free shipping to lower 48.

Thanks again for the replies so far, I'd be interested in seeing some more comments on the topic. There's been a whopping 250 views in just 2 days on this article yet only 5 replies... that being said there seems to be a fair amount of interest, so please share your stories, people are obviously curious about it!!
ImageImage
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Lotsa good ones... but still with Seaweed on this. 8) Just because. :lol:

Over a foot of ice it's nice to have power...
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I use an Eskimo Shark, the Rapala are the same auger. Jiffy vs Eskimo is a Ford vs Chevy thing, one may or may not be better than the other.
The older Jiffy augers used metal gears, the new ones are plastic.

I have used both, I prefer the dual cutting blades and guide ring on the business end of the Eskimo auger, and I like the metal gears in the gearcase.

YMMV
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Anyone know where to purchase a Strikemaster here in Ottawa?
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

Check the make of the engine on the jiffy, they are a different make than they were a few years ago.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Tip-up wrote:Anyone know where to purchase a Strikemaster here in Ottawa?

In my research the Ottawa area has little Strikemaster selection, CT has only 1 type, only worthwhile if it's on sale. Lebaron's doesn't carry any, perhaps SAIL will when they roll out their winter stock. Otherwise your stuck heading to Vaughan Mills Bass Pro, they pretty much carry every Strikemaster model...or better yet if possible order online from the U.S. and have it shipped to UPS or Corporate Centre in Ogdensburg, NY, its less than an hours drive from Ottawa..Strikemaster's are made in the USA too, therefore there is no tariff charges when you bring it over the boarder, just have to pay the HST.
ImageImage
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I am surprised by the lack of Strikemaster advocates! I have the Strikemaster strike lite 4. No mixing oil, starts first or second pull everytime, cuts like butter, and if you do a lot of walking on the ice you will love the 10lbs less weight you are carrying! They are expensive but keep your eye on CT, they go on sale every year.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll have a Jiffy 3hp, 8 inch up for sale soon.... :wink:

RJ
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Love my NoMark 159 LE

Hasn't given me any trouble has of yet. Lightweight, powerful, efficient.