Ice Hut Security

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice Hut Security

Post by scarkner »

I posted earlier about putting out my first ice hut in Shirley's Bay this coming winter.

I am thinking about a variety of designs and it occurred to me that I am perhaps taking security for granted.

Has anyone had problems with people breaking into or vandalizing their ice huts, in particular at Shirley's Bay?

Do you ever leave equipment (like your ice rods, heater, flashers, etc.) in the hut, or do you pretty much clean it out every-time you leave?

I was going to build mine with a combination of foam/plastic sides on steel studs, minimizing wood and therefore minimizing weight. My concern is that, beyond a simple lock on the door, it would only take a sharp knife to cut through the walls and take my stuff.

Should I be worried?

thanks.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ice Hut Security

Post by bostonwhaler »

always make you windows smaller than your butt. then nobody can crawl through them. make your door small as well, so it is harder to break. we only keep honest thieves out.
Hollywood catches more perch than me
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Very well put. It's a shame there are lowlifes out there, but it can happen anywhere.
Scarkner if your shack is that vulnerable, then don't leave anything of good value behind when you leave, that way you will never have to wonder/worry about it. Leave your propane tank, but take your buddy heater etc with you if you have room.

I've seen enough shacks on Shirley's in the past that had the old hanger trick, attached to the wall above the hole to work like a spring. A nail in the stud above it to hold a spool of line and you're all set for live bait fishing, which in my experience there, outfished jigging for sure. That's probably due to social activities as well hehe. There were a couple of shacks in deeper water I recall that they used to do not bad some evenings, jigging at the point with champs and pimps... and a minnow

Good luck this winter. You'll enjoy it for sure. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

smitty55 wrote:Very well put. It's a shame there are lowlifes out there, but it can happen anywhere.
Scarkner if your shack is that vulnerable, then don't leave anything of good value behind when you leave, that way you will never have to wonder/worry about it. Leave your propane tank, but take your buddy heater etc with you if you have room.

I've seen enough shacks on Shirley's in the past that had the old hanger trick, attached to the wall above the hole to work like a spring. A nail in the stud above it to hold a spool of line and you're all set for live bait fishing, which in my experience there, outfished jigging for sure. That's probably due to social activities as well hehe. There were a couple of shacks in deeper water I recall that they used to do not bad some evenings, jigging at the point with champs and pimps... and a minnow

Good luck this winter. You'll enjoy it for sure. Cheers
I realize that anything is liable to be broken into, much like cottages, cars and houses. What I am trying to find out is if there HAVE been any break-ins at Shirley's Bay (or ice huts in general) or are they generally left alone?

My cottage is a good example, our old cottage was in an area prone to break-in, almost every year stuff would go missing. Our new cottage is in an area where locals claim in 20 years, not a break-in. I have owned the place myself now for 4 years and never a problem. So clearly the way I would treat valuables at the two places would be different.

Thanks for your comments on the fishin' quality in Shirleys. I have fished there myself for two years, but not very much. Without a solid shelter I find the wind off that huge stretch of ice is just too damn nasty. Also, it seems, from talking with the guys that do fish there, that fishing near dark and after dark are often the most productive times, but also the coldest if you are out on the ice without a hut. So this is a big part of what's driving me towards a hut. I am also hoping my kids are more interested in coming if it's a bit more comfy!
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mblaney »

I don't have any comment about the amount of theft where you are... but I suggest making the lock the weakest point of entry. A lot easier to replace a cheapo luggage lock than repair a destroyed door, window or wall. I also hope that a cheap lock might indicate that there really isn't anything of value inside. :roll:
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I am of the mentality that break in's WILL happen.
And they are even MORE likely happening if something isn't watched.

I would leave everything unlocked and take all my gear with me.
This way you won't find yourself with a busted door or window that will need fixing once you get out there, you'll simply find that someone's been in your shack and is gone now..
Also for heat I would use a small fire stove, keeps people from stealing your propane or even worst emptying it for no good reason.
I've never had a shack but I have been in a lot of buddies and everything listed above is what they do.

:twocents-twocents:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My buddy's shack was broken into on Petrie (W.Bay).

They pulled up, saw the lights on, the stove going etc....

3 guys just broke in and made themselves comfy.....

My buddy parked up 1 ft from the door and he and 2 other large guys got out.....

Needless to say those dudes RAN....

They also left THEIR stuff in the hut....so my buddy inherited a couple free rods as a result.

No threats, no nothing...they just upped, ran and left their stuff behind...

Kinda funny in an odd way....
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

As I have been raised u assume the worst and plan for the best.

It could happen if it hasnt and will happen if it has. Any of my shacks I have had and I have had many have been locked and never left anything in it but the wood stove and some cans of beans and chips pretty much. If someone wants in then it does not matter how much you make it fort knox...they will get in. I like to think most people if they come by the shack will not do anything but these days you never know. Now locked is a relative term cause when the lock is on by two 1/4" screws it makes it easy to break in but you wont have a busted butt shack to look forward too. We had someone one time break off our lock, use the stove to warm up and left a note and $20 to fix the lock as he had fallen into the ice and needed to wrm up. Those kind of break in's I am good with and encourage if needed.

Cheers
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I never had an ice shack, but if I did everything would come back home with me and I would leave it unlocked.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I had a hut for 8 years and never had an issue. I left many things in it that would be attractive. I probably got lucky as I'm too trusting of people in most cases. Dumb like that... :lol:

RJ