Muskrat lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Muskrat lake

Post by cgates »

What's the fishing been like on the lake I've been told it has been very hard to fish? Is that the case
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Muskrat lake

Post by bostonwhaler »

I have not had the same luck on muskrat for bass year. But the tournaments are still producing big weights, most of the local guys will tell you that this year is tuff in the valley
Hollywood catches more perch than me
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Same everywhere Chris...lol

Keep your rods crossed :wink:
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

I'm not sure i want to drive down to pre fish or fish same as last year.... Smallies
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

Get Phil to drive!!!

Good luck.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cgates wrote:I'm not sure i want to drive down to pre fish or fish same as last year.... Smallies
We fished the Muskrat twice with BAA. Always targeted Smallies. Always pre-fished one day one week before.

During the 2011pre-fish (calm and no wind) we must have caught 20 keepers. (Mostly on top water early morning).
Tournament day (very windy) we bombed out with 3 bass for a total of 8.28 (No plan B).

During the 2012 pre-fish (windy) we caught 5 keepers. (Mostly cranking, some on spinner baits).
Tournament day (windy) we got our limit for a total of 16.68 ... 4 smallies (One was a 4.3) and one large mouth.
All smallies were caught on the KVD5 and the largemouth on a wake bait.

We did 80% of our fishing on the North eastern side of the lake.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

StarTzar wrote:
cgates wrote:I'm not sure i want to drive down to pre fish or fish same as last year.... Smallies
We fished the Muskrat twice with BAA. Always targeted Smallies. Always pre-fished one day one week before.

During the 2011pre-fish (calm and no wind) we must have caught 20 keepers. (Mostly on top water early morning).
Tournament day (very windy) we bombed out with 3 bass for a total of 8.28 (No plan B).

During the 2012 pre-fish (windy) we caught 5 keepers. (Mostly cranking, some on spinner baits).
Tournament day (windy) we got our limit for a total of 16.68 ... 4 smallies (One was a 4.3) and one large mouth.
All smallies were caught on the KVD5 and the largemouth on a wake bait.

We did 80% of our fishing on the North eastern side of the lake.
I've really started to love smallie a on muskrat I think I'll go with what I know and pass on the 2 hour drive and 100$ in gas
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

ill take you in my boat
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I pretty much live in cobden, I have a skeeter and a trolling motor that will take us all day. you can even captain the bow.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

bostonwhaler wrote:I pretty much live in cobden, I have a skeeter and a trolling motor that will take us all day. you can even captain the bow.
Pm sent
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Muskrat hasn't been itself for I'd say about a year. Weights are down at pretty much every event. The guys who fish it regularly are wondering what's up. Maybe the amount of events on it have finally caught up to it.....

I wouldn't pre-fish Chris. It'll ruin your mindset if ya have a tough day. Just go fishing the day of and see what happens.

RJ
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

RJ wrote:Muskrat hasn't been itself for I'd say about a year. Weights are down at pretty much every event. The guys who fish it regularly are wondering what's up. Maybe the amount of events on it have finally caught up to it.....

I wouldn't pre-fish Chris. It'll ruin your mindset if ya have a tough day. Just go fishing the day of and see what happens.

RJ
For some reason my partner hates small jaws????? and i love them mabe you can talk to him :wink: It's hard to change an old dog
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

I had luck with the largies this past weekend...

Cavitron buzz in the weedy bays and stretches... lazy blow-ups but still got into a good amount of 2lbs. + fish.