Wader cleaning

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Wader cleaning

Post by avidangler »

Long story short I recently purchased a new pair of waders and proceed to use them during the hot and humid couple of weeks of weather that just past. After repeated attempts at rinsing them out I'm still stuck with an awful smell that rivals that of my hockey equipment! Those of you who have ever smelt a hockey bag know what I'm talking about :crying-green: I'm reluctant to try any sort of soap for fear of ruining them. I was wonder if anyone on here has anything in mind to help keep the smell down.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Wader cleaning

Post by Todd B. »

If you purchased a reputable brand you can find care and cleaning instructions online.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Neoprene or PVC?
100% (C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Avid,
Try white vinegar to reduce the smell. It will eliminate most of the bacteria although it might take a few cleanings. White vinegar is cheap and does not damage the fabric.
I also use laundry soap and warm water for the legs / thigh areas but rinse thoroughly and let them air dry.

I know what you mean though. Ive had my waders 3 years and they smell like a wet dog that just came out of the swamp. These are things no one mentions when you buy them.
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

Neoprene or PVC?
they're PVC with rubber boots so turning them inside out is fun.

Avid,
Try white vinegar to reduce the smell. It will eliminate most of the bacteria although it might take a few cleanings. White vinegar is cheap and does not damage the fabric.
I also use laundry soap and warm water for the legs / thigh areas but rinse thoroughly and let them air dry.
I will definetly give the vinegar a try. I took them out again last night and went to pick up my girlfriend afterward, she was less than impressed with my smell :D lol Atleast now I know how to get more free time to use them!
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.