2nd trip to the Yukon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

2nd trip to the Yukon

Post by scuro »

We had been to the Yukon previously and had a great time. Last summer we did the Yukon gold rush tour but we did it on our terms. We had fabulous pictures but most are lost because our one daughter somehow deleted the photos in the transfer to the computer so that she could take her own photos. The trip started from Whitehorse and followed the route taken during the Klondike rush. That is a fabulous trip to take until one gets to Skagway which is completely forgettable now, being a major port for the Alaska Cruises. Seems every second store sells jewelery.

From Skagway we took the ferry to Haines Alaska and stayed a day. That might be the sort of place I'd stay for a week...salmon coming up the rivers...peaceful except for the bears that literally walk right by your window...loads of bears!!

We stayed at the Dalton trail lodge where they experienced highly unusual Chinook winds but in July?!! The boats on their trailers were being blown around...shingles and power lines down. A massive low hovered off of Alaska and churned weather throughout the region. Some days the wind was so bad you couldn't fish from any boat. We hiked a glacier lake on Kluane National Park and saw the wind whipping the water right up off the lake and go 50 ft into the air above us into the mountains. What a sight to see.

We had to fish small sheltered lakes. A dolly for my doll!

A grayling, you can catch them at the shore of the lodge.

Fishing for trout. We lost 3 big lake fishing days due to the wind.

Waiting for supper

Trout for dinner

Our last day saw perfectly calm weather. We were in shock.

Not a lot of fish caught this time around relatively speaking...but this is one of those bucket list types of trips that some of you will want to do and should do.
...anything to bend the rod
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Re: 2nd trip to the Yukon

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Nice report man. Great fish and awesome scenery.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

A post card at every turn!

You are a lucky man to get to do such a trip!!! Congs and thank you for sharing!

(That cooking fish made me hungry as all hell!!)

Craig
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I've been to Yukon quite a few times and it is simply gorgeous. Thanks for the pics, it brings back some memories!
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

cprince wrote:A post card at every turn!
You are a lucky man to get to do such a trip!!! Congs and thank you for sharing!
(That cooking fish made me hungry as all hell!!)

Craig
Well that fish was delicious and it is a stunning place but I'd gladly trade that one week of fishing for the opportunity to fish the Ottawa area daily. Work and my location really put a crimp into to decent fishing this year. I am surrounded by pig farms and skanky water.

The grass is always greener...
...anything to bend the rod
lifeisfun
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lifeisfun »

Spectacular, wouldn't mind to see that part of the country my self!
Thanks for sharing :)
100% (C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Incredible pics Chris and thanks for posting. That right there is living man... just getting right out there and seeing some of that big picture in the far off. :wink:
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Very cool report. I can never get enough of seeing these amazing pics and scenery! Thanks for sharing. :D