madawaska river between barret chute and mountain chute

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

madawaska river between barret chute and mountain chute

Post by andrew1234 »

took my boat out this weekend on that stretch of the madawaska. While camping at the furthest camping at the furthest island at norcan lake i decided to do some exploring East of wabun lake on the madawaska. Boy did i ever hit a rock. My newky refurbished outboard with only an hour on it had a nice big chunk taken out of the lower end unit and pee pee gear fluid. Worse case scenario i could have sunk the boat and se bothcould have died. Im telling this story so i can prevent otger people from doing so. So my warning to you all if considering this area becareful. There are alot of rocksand unless you know the area i would talk to people in the area who know the river.

On a side note we had blown our whistle because we were in distress. There was a boat that was a500 metres from us and they kept on ignoring the whistle. In a span of 30 minutes we had blown the whistle abouta hundred times. This part of the river was not super busy but it wasnt super quiet either. It really angers me that this took so long before someone finally answered the call. When we got to shore this dumb crap (whom we helped retrieve His boat earlier as it was not properly beached) asked me if it was us that blew the whistle, he said he was just about to yell "stop blowing that ---- whistle" when the guy who came to help us yelled that he was on his way.

Folks if you hear a whistle you should answer it.

So as or camp site was all the way at the end of norcan lake We were not about to ask them to take us there. Instead we drove all tge way back to barrhaven, grabbed the canoe then drove back tgere at 5am, launched from greens landing then canoed all the way to the island packed up all my gear then headed back to wabun lake grabbed my boat and made it all the way home and to the nac for a wedding at 4pm.
Fisherman_and_fisherboy
Participant
Participant

Re: madawaska river between barret chute and mountain chute

Post by Fisherman_and_fisherboy »

Wow that is bone chilling and very upsetting. I'm very to hear that everyone is alive and well. That sucks that you had to go back and forth like that. What a douche bag for not answering the whistle call.

Karma's a bitch and that boat will get there's in due time.

Mike
Catch it, Record it, Release it, Repeat it
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi;
I have to feel for you, and I hope that all is working out to repair your lower unit.
By the way, I cannot understand how you were trying to get into Wabun from Norcan?
There is no way, but to drive by auto vehicle!
Daner :)
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Post by andrew1234 »

Havent even looked at the outboard yet. Dont have the money to fix it yet. We launched on the madawaska boat launch that is adjacent to wabun lake
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

That stretch of river has insane contours and hidden shoals. It'd scare the old WarCanoe. Sucks to hear of your luck and other's people ignorance.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Back before the Gov/Min put the Mountain Chute Dam in place, it used to be a fast flowing river.
Depending now, on if the dam is open/closed, will of course affect the depth of the water.
I have never fished that section of the Madawaska (always wanted to). Except the dam area, above and below.
However, I have heard stories of really nice size Pickerel/s schooling throughout the area and around boat dock areas!!!

Andrew, sorry for the comment on getting to Wabun (East) from Norcan! My mistake.
If you are looking to get your lower unit repaired, call me on Monday at Laurentian (526-5622).
Daner :)
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

Glad no one got hurt, though it really sucks about the motor.

Its pretty sad that so many people on the water are too dumb to remember the rules or even recognize the signals. If another boater is in distress and helping them doesn't put yours in danger, its your legal responsibility to help out.
Blimkie
Participant
Participant

Post by Blimkie »

Hi all first post. We just purchased land on the river here near Greens landing. Sorry to hear about your mishap. I've had a few close calls on this part over the river as well. I see all these shoals as great places to fish. Does any one know where to find charts for this part of the river. Or ideally a chart I can purchase for my Huminbird? Have been looking for awhile with no luck. I have to assume before flooding this was all surveyed so the info must be available some where. Regards
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

It is considered non navigable waters, there are no charts.