St. Lawrence near Long Sault

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

St. Lawrence near Long Sault

Post by NMG »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get out for the day on Saturday and I was thinking of heading down to the Long Sault area on the St. Lawrence. I think I'd probably launch at one of the Provincial campgrounds down in that area.

Having never fished that area before, can anyone give me some idea of what to expect? I'm hoping to get into some Walleye and Pike and hopefully some Panfish for my 3 year old. Are there Crappie or Perch in that area? The trip is mainly to get the boat out and make sure everything is working right, but I'd also like to get into some fish if at all possible. The boat is setup to do pretty much anything so just looking for some general pointers on the area, what species I could encounter, etc. I know that Bass and Muskie are still closed, so I'd only be looking for what I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any info you could send my way!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: St. Lawrence near Long Sault

Post by LeGrand »

I'm sure if you stop and ask at the Long Sault marina restaurant, you'll be able to obtain info.
mcwalleye
Participant
Participant

Post by mcwalleye »

took the wife n kids for a drive out there last fall.. saw a guy walking up the street with a ten pound pike.. he said it was one of his smaller ones of the week.. Ill be going back there this summer:-)
Flooded
Participant
Participant

Post by Flooded »

All of the species you mentioned are in that area. I'd suggest staying inside the parkway, with a good starting point being just outside the Hoople Creek bridge. The submerged creek bed has weed flats adjacent to it. With a little trial and error, you should be able to find the weed edge/dropoff, and at the very least you'll regularly hook into (not necessarily very large) perch. But there are walleye in there as well.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Flooded, do you know if most of the boat launches down that way are decent? I have a 16 foot aluminum that is pretty easy to launch and I don't mind paying for a day launch.
pasquini
Participant
Participant

Post by pasquini »

NMG wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone! Flooded, do you know if most of the boat launches down that way are decent? I have a 16 foot aluminum that is pretty easy to launch and I don't mind paying for a day launch.
The fee is $10.00 at the Long Sault marina. The City of Cornwall has a decent ramp at Guindon Park which is free about 6km east of Long Sault on Hwy 2. There are ramps on the Long Sault Parkway but you will have to pay the park fees to access them. There is also Crysler Park Marina (not sure of fees but they have gas/restaurant on site) and the municiple ramp at Morrisburg which is on a honor system.

Hope you have a great time.
2010 Princecraft 182 Sport
Mercury 115hp 4-S
voltom9
Participant
Participant

Post by voltom9 »

I just got back from that area. I hooked up with 13 carp all between 25-32" I bit of a slow and steady style of fishing
http://kayakwars.com/teampage.php?team_ ... n%20Oceans
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Nice Pictures voltom9.

Congrats.
Flooded
Participant
Participant

Post by Flooded »

The best launch option--if you wish to fish inside the parkway--is the Hoople Island ramp. From there you can follow the bay out toward Wales Island, and that's where you can start getting into the weed flats adjacent to the old creek bed.

Parking capacity at the Hoople launch is limited. And I strongly advise against venturing further west toward Ingleside. It's littered with stumps and old foundations. In general, it's a good idea to exercise caution in the area, and slow down if in doubt.

The other launch options previously mentioned are good as well, although the Guindon launch is a bit distant and can make for a rough ride if the wind is up.
jjwalleye
Participant
Participant

Post by jjwalleye »

Flooded wrote:The best launch option--if you wish to fish inside the parkway--is the Hoople Island ramp. From there you can follow the bay out toward Wales Island, and that's where you can start getting into the weed flats adjacent to the old creek bed.

Parking capacity at the Hoople launch is limited. And I strongly advise against venturing further west toward Ingleside. It's littered with stumps and old foundations. In general, it's a good idea to exercise caution in the area, and slow down if in doubt.

The other launch options previously mentioned are good as well, although the Guindon launch is a bit distant and can make for a rough ride if the wind is up.

I will second that as well flooded !! the stumps are viscious west of the hoople !!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Thanks for the replies folks! We ended up launching at Long Sault Marina and we didn't really stray too far West of there, maybe 2-3KM or so. Long story short, we didn't get a sniff, LOL. Heck, I wasn't even marking many fish on the Humminbird. I did stop in a little back bay and tried to entice a pod of Carp, but no luck.

The water visibility on the inside of the parkway wasn't great, but on the main channel side it was actually pretty good. I wasn't quite sure where the US border was once we got out there, so we pretty much only fished inside the parkway. I also didn't really notice any substantial weed growth in the areas we went, so maybe it's still a bit too early yet?

I'll have to head back out later in the year and see if my luck improves.
jjwalleye
Participant
Participant

Post by jjwalleye »

I hear ya.... many a days Ive got skunked out there... but then Ill go out some day and nail a few fish and thats what keeps me going back... Im an addict i guess :lol: