Fishing in the Bahamas

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Thanks everyone, a guided trip on the flats down there is $400 for four hours which is a little steep considering this is a spur of the moment type trip. I will bring some pike equipment down and try to convince a local to show me around the shoreline for lesser of a fee. I will try to surf fish, I tried it in Barbados but didn't have the right setup and the waves kept pushing my bait to shore, I even went out at night and caught these little crabs on the beach, a local told me I needed to use them, but I couldn't keep the bait in the water. Pier fishing is also a good idea, I dont care what I catch as long as I catch something, even if it belongs in an aquarium I will be happy :lol: :lol: Thanks again, hopefully i will have some pics
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
fishlover
Participant
Participant

Post by fishlover »

Congratulations on the lil' one--I have 2 boys (4 and 1) and they are truly the best part of my life(and I typically fish 3 days a week--so life is good!!)

I was just in the Bahamas from Jan 15 to 23rd. I stayed on paradise island at the Atlantis resort, so I will only be able to give specific information on this location. If you are staying in that general area, and would like specifics, I can send you a PM.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

nips wrote:Thanks everyone, a guided trip on the flats down there is $400 for four hours which is a little steep considering this is a spur of the moment type trip. I will bring some pike equipment down and try to convince a local to show me around the shoreline for lesser of a fee. I will try to surf fish, I tried it in Barbados but didn't have the right setup and the waves kept pushing my bait to shore, I even went out at night and caught these little crabs on the beach, a local told me I needed to use them, but I couldn't keep the bait in the water. Pier fishing is also a good idea, I dont care what I catch as long as I catch something, even if it belongs in an aquarium I will be happy :lol: :lol: Thanks again, hopefully i will have some pics
You get some fish in the surf but look for a channel with current...alway a fish magnet. Fish it like a river, cast up water and reel with the current. Life bait works. Search for shrimp along the shore near current at night. Any spot with current and a light could be awesome on the outgoing. There are dudes who spend days on a bridge with baitrunners.

I thought you were going to spend all your time with your wife?!! :P
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Since you're not going to be tossing flies, here is a link to the suggested spinning tackle and lures for bones in the Bahamas.

http://www.bigcharlieandros.net/spingear.htm
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

From a DIY "fishing from scratch" perspective, Bonefish might be the hardest fish of all to tatch down south. It took me 3 trips of fishing every day to finally catch one.

1) first trip I couldn't even sight them
2) I could sight them but either I spooked them or they showed no interest in what I offered
3) Third trip I learned from what happened on the last trip, got specific advice, and caught one the first day.

Truth be told, I'd rather catch a 10 pound snapper or Cuda.