Fishing in the Bahamas

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing in the Bahamas

Post by nips »

Well the wife is pregnant with a little fishermen, and she is nagging me to go somewhere warm before were strapped down with being parents. Bahamas for 4 days as a valentines day gift (lots of bonus points that will be stored and used when muskie season comes around :wink: ). Just wondering if any of you fine folks have been fishing there. I read RJ's article when he was in Cuba and was planning on doing the same sort of thing. I've been deep sea "fishing" (more like boating :lol: ) before and want to try something different. Any help would be appreciated.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fishing in the Bahamas

Post by Out4trout »

Congrats!!
Fishermen is plural... twins? :shock:
nips wrote:Well the wife is pregnant with a little fishermen...
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

congrats nips. i'd go casting for 'cuda or bone fish.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Thankyou out4trout. my mistake, thank god "fisherman"
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

huskyjerk, I've been doing a little research, bonefish capital of the world, but I have never fly fished in my life, do people fish them with spinning rods too???
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

guess it might depend on where you go, not too sure but i know i've seen henry walzwhatshishead "fishing the flats" for them with spinning gear.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
Doublecluck
Participant
Participant

Post by Doublecluck »

Try surf fishing with some shrimp off a double drop leader with a #2 pyramid sinker at the end and some circle hooks (can't remember the size but your standard size). Hook on a half cut piece of shrimp on both hooks and whip it out as far as you can.....bring in your line slack with a bit of tension....watch out though, the bite is super fast but if you hook something desent, hang on for a great fight. Watch your drag because salt water fish love to run... The pyramid sinker digs itself into the surf sand and prevents it from being tossed back onto the shore from the waves. The waves sometime can be tricky but I use this method in Florida along the Gulf of Mexico and have been quite successful...took a while though...lol. Good luck and take some pics of your catch.
Doublecluck
Participant
Participant

Post by Doublecluck »

And the best part about surf fishing is you can bring your wife and she can catch some rays while you do your thing.... :D

P. S. I forgot to tell you, a outgoing tide is the best time to fish, it brings in the BIG ONES wanting to eat all the little fellas...
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Doublecluck wrote:Try surf fishing with some shrimp off a double drop leader with a #2 pyramid sinker at the end and some circle hooks (can't remember the size but your standard size). Hook on a half cut piece of shrimp on both hooks and whip it out as far as you can.....bring in your line slack with a bit of tension....watch out though, the bite is super fast but if you hook something desent, hang on for a great fight. Watch your drag because salt water fish love to run... The pyramid sinker digs itself into the surf sand and prevents it from being tossed back onto the shore from the waves. The waves sometime can be tricky but I use this method in Florida along the Gulf of Mexico and have been quite successful...took a while though...lol. Good luck and take some pics of your catch.
Thanks
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Congrats Nips!! I would hire a guide for some bonefish early in the week and pick his brain about the rest of the week for shore fishing maybe pier fishing for sheephead lots of fish around piers or at least thats my experience in Florida.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Learning to bonefish in 4 days by yourself and being successful would be like teaching my mother to catch a muskie in 4 days by herself. It can be done but the research and time invested while there would put you in the dog house. Collect your brownie points for being the good dad to be. If you are dying to try some fishing, bring pike gear and oil your reel up well. Buy a Cuda tube lure in bright green off the internet, they are not sold up here. Study google earth and the water once you get there. An hour after high tide is the time and it lasts for about an hour. If you see water moving around something odds are a Cuda will be there like opportunist pike. Reel that tube lure as fast as you can and you should have some fun. 8) Zara spooks with props can be fun too and silver poppers. If you can't get tubes big sweedish pimples in gold or silver work. Chuck em like spoons and real like crazy.

Total time away from wife 2 hours which is doable. There is a big learning curve to southern fishing, best to chew off bite sized pieces at one sitting, either that or hire a guide. Ask to go snapper fishing, that is a fish like a small mouth bass with big stones. They like to go snapper fishing...you can ask to go Tarpon fishing but it might not be warm enough yet.
Last edited by scuro on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
seanympho
Participant
Participant

Post by seanympho »

I would be all over fishing for Cuda as well. Just seems to be no question for me. Any fishing is better than no fishing though. Congrats and good luck!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Bones, bones and more bones!! ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nips,

The only thing I could suggest is to look for a charter boat that is a flats boat......and stay off the big cruisers.....they are more often than not nothing more than a boat ride fleecing.

Good Luck! I'm dying to get back down....be careful though.....saltwater fish will make your muskies seem like little kittens.... :lol: :lol:

RJ
esox50
Participant
Participant

Post by esox50 »

Scuro has good advice. I lived in the Turks and Caicos Islands (southern tip of the Bahamian archipelago) for a few months. I brought down spinning gear and baitcasting gear with the intention of sight-fishing for bones, cudas, and jacks (small sharks from the beach, too). Never saw a bone (except in a net) and came close to a few sharks (caught one off a boat), but had decent success with barracuda and horse-eye jacks.

These fish aren't shy. I'd spool a spinning reel with 20-30lb braid, buy green and/or red tube lures, a few big casting spoons, and topwaters (walk-the-dog, prop baits... Top Raider?). Leaders would be a good bet as well. Your muskie stuff would be fine. You could buy some weights and decent sized hooks, look for conch scraps or fish bits, and cast the surf as someone else suggested. You never know!

Without dropping big bucks to hire a guide for flats fishing or even more for off-shore trolling, I'd do exactly as Scuro said and study the near-shore areas around your resort. Sight-fish your heart out. You want a mixture of sand and grass. Patches of sand amidst expansive sandgrass flats are good, but also watch the areas close to the waterline. If there's a reef at the edge of the bay, even better. Big predators will roll in from the deep and feed on the flat. Bring good sunglasses. This is a must.

Other than that it's pretty simple and doesn't require a lot of time. You could also ask folks on the island where you might be able to cast for barracuda, bones, or jacks. Sight-fishing a 'cuda in 2' of water is an experience to remember.

Enjoy the world-class seafood while you're down there! Mmmm, conch fritters.