Bay of Quinte Feb 5 and 6

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bay of Quinte Feb 5 and 6

Post by Maple »

My son and I went down to the BOQ for a couple of days fishing. On Saturday we fished in the 'Battle on the Bay' with 20 guys from the Quinte region, and came in second place! Not bad out of 20 guys.

Actully, it was, since only one fish was caught ALL DAY with 20 experienced fishermen trying, thus everybody except the winner came in second. However it was great to finally meet with the locals down there and exchange fishing wisdom and stories with friends. Great food on the ice with BBQ sausages, pulled pork on buns, all the trimmings, and the best fish chowder I have ever tasted. Excellent day in all despite the lack of fish.

We stayed over Saturday night and fished Sunday until mid afternoon. Redemption was ours (my son's really) as he pulled in massive perch, a 4 pound walleye and a first ever whitefish. Cool.

We decided not to attend the ProTackle tournament weigh-in, but continued fishing until forced to leave by time constraints. That's what we were there for. Fishing. I'll be back soon with expectations of a little more action.

BTW, the slush on top of the ice was terrible there too. Brutal.

Maple
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Congrats on your second place Maple, what was your secret bait? :)

I was tlking to Gary Hodge on Sunday and he said the fishing was slow.

Good to here your son had some success on Sunday. The slush and water definitely made for a tough go out there on Sunday.

JimW
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Cong on second place :D It was a brutal for a lot of people fishing this week end my self included. Ah well just being out on the ice with friends and family is what it's all about right ! I wish you bigger and more fish next time. 8)
|Dore|
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

hey, I also finished in second place, and I DIDN'T BRING A ROD! :shock: :D
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

Hearty Congratulations on your 2nd place finish.. for those of us that didn't get to the Bay this past weekend as news of the Battle filtered through, we were far less disappointed at missing the event.

From a post of the other board:) :D I think Maple will recongize this avid fisherperson

Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Geeze, when you wake a young fella up at 4 in the morning they've gotta nap sometime. I'm sure he was up until 4 the night before! Anyhow, after a quick nap and snack he was back in the game. He didn't miss a single fish anyhow. :wink:

Hey Steve, how's it going? It was great to meet you out there. You're a fisherman and a half buddy, I'll say that! Hard trolling on that ice though.

Maple
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

Hey Maple, I am just jealous you can get your son out... mine likes the 4am part.. but that is the get home time:)

Good on ya for getting him out... and he woulda finished second as well, so his technique was equally successful!
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Things are going well my friend. This winter seems to be an extra long one, so getting out to meet all you folks was great!

was fun watchin' all the quads, sleds, flashers, etc, etc in action.

wish there were more fish caught, however, the 100 yard dash from hodgey was well worth it.