Leftover Minnows? Whadoyado?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Leftover Minnows? Whadoyado?

Post by highlander »

Hey all,

Lately I've been bringing home leftover minnows and, in my laziness, have been just letting them freeze in my bait bucket. In the past, I've done a few things including:

1. bring them into the basement and change baitbucket water every day or so to keep them for the next weekend.

2. let them freeze and thaw them for next time (PIKE)

But, figured I'd throw it out there. What do you guys do with your leftover minnows? Is there any evidence that salting them works? do you salt them and then freeze?

Do you feed them to the birds (for BA)
Do you feed them to your cats? :)

Curious.
Ian
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

If your significant other allows, put them in the fridge, they'll last until the following weekend at least. I keep them in my heated garage near the door on the ground. I still have 2 dozen from last weekend.
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I keep mine in my crawlspace.....some fresh water every second day will eliminate the need for a bubbler.....
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

....toss them in your "green bin".....then come and buy more from me... :lol: :lol:

.....just kidding, of course. :wink:

...at this time of year, it's easy to keep 'em alive for a week or more. Changing the water every few days is key. You can use city(tap) water....just let it sit in a pail for a day or two, to let all the "stuff" evaporate. And leave 'em in the garage, basement, fridge(if your wife lets ya :lol: ) or cold room. Keeping them cool is important. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

Gord wrote:....toss them in your "green bin".....then come and buy more from me... :lol: :lol:
Gord -- I only have this problem because your prices are just too damn good and I can't stop buying :lol: :lol:

How about if you knew you weren't going out for at least a couple of weeks and keeping alive is not an option?
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

I've salted them and then frozen them... no success the few times I've used them though :oops:
Doublecluck
Participant
Participant

Left over minnows

Post by Doublecluck »

Believe it or not, my buddy keeps them in a small cage in his sump hole....he adjusts the float on the pump and they stay alive for weeks....seriously!!
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Left over minnows

Post by highlander »

Now that is a golden idea. will be on the lookout for a cage......
Doublecluck wrote:Believe it or not, my buddy keeps them in a small cage in his sump hole....he adjusts the float on the pump and they stay alive for weeks....seriously!!
Doublecluck
Participant
Participant

Left over Minnows

Post by Doublecluck »

Apparently the cage he had was too big (the holes) so he put one of his wife's pantyhose over it....no joke....this guy is a regular MaGuyver
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

I bought an aquarium pump at Wallmart for $7, an aerator stone and some tubing. Sits in my garage for weeks with no problem. Fish are happy campers.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Depends on the kind of minnows. Dace and suckers will keep better than shiners for instance. The shiners seem to be more delicate.

I've had these dace in a 5 gallon bucket in my 10'C cold room since Jan 8 and have only changed the water twice. Fed them 3 times. Only lost 2 of 'em. They're going to come fishing with me this weekend.

FrogEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FrogEyes »

We keep our minnows alive for weeks by putting them in a minnow-trap (homemade) and sticking it down one of our holes in hut. Saves a lot of $$.
ponder
Participant
Participant

Post by ponder »

i bought dace @ baitcasters last weekend and all 10 that servived their first day with me are still alive in the org minnow pail in the luandry room. gave em a bottle of water yesterday no food (cmon now little perch) they will be lean N mean for tomorrow :lol: