last minute/first time ice fishing adventure - ADVICE PLEASE

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ptrxml59
Participant
Participant

last minute/first time ice fishing adventure - ADVICE PLEASE

Post by ptrxml59 »

Hi, I've just been invited by my friends to join them saturday for some ice fishing on White Lake. We're renting huts with holes being dug for us. I don't know anything about the location or the depth. The last time i went ice fishing was when I was about 6 years old and using homemade tip ups. So, what I'm asking is what tackle I should be bringing (I'll be dropping by LeBaron beforehand) and what sort of presentations might be effective at various depths and for differing species. If this makes sense, I invite any advice. Thank you in advance.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

trebble hook, splitshot, and minnow gets anything.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Are you by chance renting shacks from White Lake Marina? If so they appear to be sitting in 8-12' over a thick weed mat bottom. I didn't do very well from their shacks the one time I was there last year. Most likely catch will be perch, OOS bass with the odd pike.

For tackle a Light or ML action ice rod with 4-6lb test. Small colourful (1/8oz) jigs, jigging spoons (buck-shoots, rattle fliers, rattlesnakies) tipped with pee-wee minnows, maggots or a piece of nightcrawler.

If you head out into the main lake just past the island by where their shacks are you'll be into much deeper water (20') and better fishing: perch and the odd small walleye.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
ptrxml59
Participant
Participant

Post by ptrxml59 »

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'll let you know how things go.

Cheers,

Peter