winter steel

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steelheadbum
Participant
Participant

winter steel

Post by steelheadbum »

Hey just wonderin if anyone on the board has done a steelhead journey to the peirs of lake O. Any harbour fishin or river fishin? ive not been out myself yet just wonderin. I hear the ice is pretty thick on all rivers but the big boys come at this time of year.

cheers steelheadbum
adam h
Participant
Participant

Post by adam h »

You may get lucky now out east, but in all honesty as crazy as this sounds wait for the first thaw that doesn't bust the ice up in the lower end and you will have alot more success. Most of the fish have been pounded by now. Very few freshies coming in.
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

I really don’t like the piers at any time, especially in the winter.
Down by the mouth of the Wilmot or even Cobourg could be good, some times they are not iced up to bad, if at all. I used to fish a very small creek near there in the winter.
I know its probably further then you want to go, but I would be thinking the Sauble or the Saugeen, I fished it as late as Christmas time and have heard there is steelies in there all winter.
Good luck and don’t fall in
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Don't forget to wear a PFD this time of the year and a belt around the waders.
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

winter steel

Post by mitch »

Head down to Pulaski for some action. Water flow is lower than usual but lots of fishable water with little human traffic.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: winter steel

Post by DropShotr »

mitch wrote:Head down to Pulaski for some action. Water flow is lower than usual but lots of fishable water with little human traffic.
Best steelheadin' around here.

http://whitakers.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/index.html
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
steelheadbum
Participant
Participant

Post by steelheadbum »

thx man , I know all about that way in the states . iwas thinkin more on the canadian side lake O like ganny or wilmont , grahams etc...
adam h
Participant
Participant

Post by adam h »

This may sound crazy but if your thinking of pier fishing or ice fishing steel right now wait for the first small thaw. Not one thats so large it breaks up all the ice in the lower end but the first little warm spill and you can be into amazing pier and ice action. Was just down last week and its slow, not many fresh fish around mostly fish that have been hammered for a month. Also be careful where you fish on Graham as most is private property. The Cos and police hand out lots of tresspassing fines there and have a list of who can and can't fish there!
adam h
Participant
Participant

Post by adam h »

This may sound crazy but if your thinking of pier fishing or ice fishing steel right now wait for the first small thaw. Not one thats so large it breaks up all the ice in the lower end but the first little warm spill and you can be into amazing pier and ice action. Was just down last week and its slow, not many fresh fish around mostly fish that have been hammered for a month. Also be careful where you fish on Graham as most is private property. The Cos and police hand out lots of tresspassing fines there and have a list of who can and can't fish there!
steelhead231
Participant
Participant

Post by steelhead231 »

i have a steelhead river right behind my house and its slow right now the odd fish being caught through the ice dropbacks from the fall. mid feb it starts to pick up until ice out.