BAIT CASTERS 9TH ANNUAL ICE FISHING DERBY

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

BAIT CASTERS 9TH ANNUAL ICE FISHING DERBY

Post by baitcaster »

9th ANNUAL ICE FISHING DERBY
MISSISSIPPI LAKE

Saturday, February 5th, 2011
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Cash Prizes for Biggest Walleye, Biggest Pike & Biggest Perch

Tons of Draw Prizes , 50/50 Draw & More!

Entry Fees:

Adult $12.00 ($10.00 with food bank donation)
Child under 16 $6.00 ($5.00 with food bank donation)

Coffee and Refreshments will be available throughout the day.
Minnows and registration forms will be available at the lake store on Friday evening from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. and all day Saturday.
No registration after 12:00 Noon on tournament day.
For more info: (613) 253-3474
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Plan to be there and bringing my nephew for his first time ice fishn'.
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

I should be there as well :) . Very good derby.
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

DERBY

Post by baitcaster »

Looks like we are going to get a pretty decent day for the derby - forecasting -2 with a few flurries. Sure wish we hadn't got the pile of snow yesterday - will make it more difficult for people getting around the lake (and for us plowing the lake road!)
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

just wondering how your format works. my niece caught a 3.4lb pike last year in your tournament, which was the biggest fish by far for any kid. but she did'nt even get a prize,we were told that other kids had caught more fish wich were perch. Meanwhile she had caught plenty of perch throughout the day and even a bass. It was awful hard to explain to a nine year old that yes sweetie you caught the biggest fish but don't get a prize. The funny part is the kids that did win were fishing around your store.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

The Derby

Post by Seaweed »

Opps... see you out there. 8)
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

DERBY

Post by baitcaster »

Hey Chappee,

We have cash prizes for biggest walleye, biggest pike and biggest perch. We pay down as far as 3rd for walleye and pike depending on the number of participants in the derby.
I just looked back at last year's weigh sheet and there were at least 3 pike bigger than your neice's which is why she did not win a prize. We do not have separate adult and kid's categories.
I always have draw prizes for everyone at my derbies however so I'm sure she walked away with something if you came back to the weigh-in at the end of the day.
Hope this clarifies.
I did not have your neice's name or yours so just went by the weight you listed.
Not sure what your comment meant about the kids that got prizes fishing near the store.

Crystal
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Just to mention that over the past few years my kids have both fished in the baitcaster kids tournaments and win or lose, Crystal and Mike have had an abundance of prizes for all.
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

hey guys, i heard mention of an ice road??? can someone elaberate please?
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

snow couldn't have come at a worse time
Do you think we'll have car/awd/4x4 access from the launch :?
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ICE ROAD

Post by baitcaster »

Hey guys,

You're right - the snow couldn't have come at a worse time! We had an awesome road out to our shacks this year - you could pass another car on it! However, the dump of snow on Wednesday changed all that. We had a guy renting the shacks on Thursday so did get a single road plowed out Wednesday night. However the wind on Thursday has made that road about wide enough for a sled right now!
Mike will have the old beast of a plow truck running most of the day today attempting to make a new road. We would like to have a road out to our shacks with an area where you could turn around and some fingers where you could park if setting a portable shack out up there during the derby.
I will post tonight with an update.
If anyone has a plow truck and wants to help.....

See you tomorrow!

Crystal
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

FYI

Post by baitcaster »

Just an FYI, we no longer have a credit card/interac machine at the lake location. So, if you are planning to register tonight or in the morning at our lake location you will need to bring cash. Same for minnows and worms. I also brought a bit of ice fishing tackle, minnow buckets, rod and reel combos home from the store if anyone needs anything.

As well, there will be free coffee in the morning and chili available for purchase from about 11:30 a.m. until we run out. We will be open for registrations by 7:00 a.m.

If anyone has any questions just let me know.

Thanks,

Crystal
baitcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ICE ROAD

Post by baitcaster »

We managed to get a road plowed out to where our shacks are located on the ice last night. There is a single lane road out and a single lane road in. Not as wide as we would have liked but with all this snow it was pretty difficult. Hopefully it didn't drift too bad last night. The wind seemed to have died down and they are calling for a pretty calm day today.

Let the fun begin!
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

prizes

Post by Big Jim »

I have been to almost every event held in recent years...not all, but almost...and I have given some kid's 3 or 4 prizes as we just kept calling them up or giving them out at random...due to the amount of stuff on hand for the event. :D 8)
Just like the load I'll bring today to ad to Crystals pile.

See ya soon

BIG JIM :D
Livin outside
Participant
Participant

Post by Livin outside »

Where do you get on the ice. The address says Blacks Corners but the website says Perth?