braid cutter?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Shepherd
Participant
Participant

Post by Shepherd »

Believe it or not the best thing I found to cut braid is a pair of child scissors made by Fiskars I bought at Staples for $2.
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

What about zip-cut pro?

Anything "As seen on tv" has to be great! BRB... taking another monster fish off my banjo minnow.

Haven't tried it yet... but it claims to cut 100 lb. braid... therefore likely cuts 50 lb. braid effectively.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

Yep, I have a small little Shimano multi tool with knife, 2" pliers, scissors and saw blade. Haven't met a line it couldn't handle yet.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Hollywood wrote:Yep, I have a small little Shimano multi tool with knife, 2" pliers, scissors and saw blade. Haven't met a line it couldn't handle yet.
I use it for braid AND guitar strings... heavy bronze and steel strings too... not those wimpy classical guitar strings.

Craig
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

cprince wrote:
Hollywood wrote:Yep, I have a small little Shimano multi tool with knife, 2" pliers, scissors and saw blade. Haven't met a line it couldn't handle yet.
I use it for braid AND guitar strings... heavy bronze and steel strings too... not those wimpy classical guitar strings.

Craig

haha, never thought of that. Used cutters on my strings last time.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I use the larger braids and find a pair of scissors work just fine. PSSSSSSSSS I just steel a pair of my kid scissors that I keep in my glove box.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Shepherd wrote:Believe it or not the best thing I found to cut braid is a pair of child scissors made by Fiskars I bought at Staples for $2.
That's the scissors I use
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Bass Addict wrote:
tbone1088 wrote:im lookiing for sidecutters

A good pair of scissors will cut better than side cutters :idea:

Scissors :idea: :idea:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Luke
Participant
Participant

Side Cutters

Post by Luke »

A cheap pair of side cutters will cut braid ok. A good pair of side cutters will cut braid and anything else that fits in the jaws! My Side cutters once came in handy to cut a 4/0 Owner hook that I stuck through my hand!! :oops:
jcuts9
Participant
Participant

cutting braid

Post by jcuts9 »

I have a pair of these, absolutley great for cutting braid!

this is an awesome price as well, most run $30 in a store!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rapala-Carbide-Pro- ... 230dac439d
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I like scissors too, but find they are not very portable or safe with the amount of walking and biking I do!! PS I tried putting side cutters in as two words, still not getting any results. The search brought up wire cutters for 14.99 and that was all.

JCuts, I have those pliars already!!! Great set for sure, the smoothest pliers ive ever tried. I dont know if the cutter on them will last though, I've had sets with cutters before and they chip easy.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

tbone1088 wrote:the amount of walking I do!!............ PS I tried putting side cutters in as two words, still not getting any results. .

Now Listen !!!!!

This thread has gone on way too long.............HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Scissors work the best.......Speaking of walking

Walk on over to the nearest CT and check things out first hand :idea:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

tbone1088 wrote:I like scissors too, but find they are not very portable or safe with the amount of walking and biking I do!!
Kid scissors are quite safe, rounded tips, short and all.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a knife?

Pocket knife, fillet knife, etc. A pocket knife folds for safety, a fillet knife normally comes with a sheath. Scissors, well there's always the chance of reaching into you bag/box while your mind is pre-occupied and jabbing yourself.

An accident prone buddy of mine always reminds us "Safety never takes a day off". :D :D :D
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

fatluke wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned a knife?

Pocket knife, fillet knife, etc. A pocket knife folds for safety, a fillet knife normally comes with a sheath. Scissors, well there's always the chance of reaching into you bag/box while your mind is pre-occupied and jabbing yourself.

An accident prone buddy of mine always reminds us "Safety never takes a day off". :D :D :D
I have used the pocket knife thing in a pinch... but I find it hard to get ALL of the braid off the split ring or wire of whatever lure I am using. The nail clipper thing does do a good job on those type things...

When I used to have the Rapalla nail clipper style line cutter... it came on a lanyard that I would have hanging around my neck. My fishing buddy used to bug me mercilessly saying that I looked like I also probably took the short bus home and had my name stitched inside my underwear.

Craig