Ordering from the States

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ordering from the States

Post by horsehunter »

It's been awhile since I ordered anything from the states but I think there are a couple of things I need to cure my withdrawl.

I understand that things shipped into Canada by UPS end up with a bunch of extra charges IS THIS TRUE?

Does this happen with US Postal Service?
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Try to get anything you can via US Post.

the extra charges from UPS are the brokerage fee they charge.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

MLR wrote:Try to get anything you can via US Post.

the extra charges from UPS are the brokerage fee they charge.
X2!!!!!

USPS ONLY!

Better yet...
go to Bait Casters, Paddletales, Oziles, Bennett's Bait & Tackle, Bits and Baits, Float, Paddle and Fly, Mikey's Tackle Box, Pro Tackle, Riverside Outdoors or Long Beach Live Bait & Tackle!

Craig
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

depending on what you are planning on getting, this might be of interest to you as well

http://shiptotheborder.com/
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

as a ups driver i can tell you first hand that YES, there will be extra charges on your pkg when it arrives from outside canada based on the value. HST, brokerage fee, and brokerage gst, plus, plus, plus. u can get around the brokerage fee by shipping with any of the X services, Xpress, Xpress saver, Xpedited, etc. just check the X service price versus the brokerage fee and make sure its worth it.
for now, it is true that if you can use USPS (united states postal service) then that is your cheepest route....for now. puro, canpar, fedex, see more and more COD pkgs every day. they figure "if UPS can make money at it, then so can we". even canada post tags things with a COD charge occasionally. if it makes u guys feel any better, they ding me twice as much as u.....u r a legitimate customer and i'm just an employee!!!

the other choice is to have it shipped to a UPS store in say watertown and jump across and grab it. people do it all the time.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Excessive brokerage.... UPS they did it again... :D

Sound out the letters - they don't call the company OOPS for nothing.

I'm an OOPS brokerage fee burn victim... they also lost a package I sent and wouldn't honour their own insurance, because according to OOPS, the OOPS store (franchise) where I shipped it from is the official shipper... so only they can file an insurance claim. The store refused to file because they wanted proof of the content value... hard to do when the goods are in a Power Seller OOPS employee Ebay auction.

Nothing personal DarkElf... :D
darkelf
Participant
Participant

Post by darkelf »

lol nor do i take it personally. i've been a victom as well!
i just drive the truck man, and if they didn't pay 70 thou a year with pension and benefits, i'd be flipping them the bird as well!!!!!!

u do know what UPS stands for right???

Use
Purolator
Stupid
[/b]
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

darkelf wrote:lol nor do i take it personally. i've been a victom as well!
i just drive the truck man, and if they didn't pay 70 thou a year with pension and benefits, i'd be flipping them the bird as well!!!!!!

u do know what UPS stands for right???

Use
Purolator
Stupid
[/b]
Worked at UPS loading trucks in Lachine in the 1990... we used to say that UPS was:

Under-
Paid
Slaves

They would fire everyone just before their 3 months were up to be in the union!

Good times... good times...

Craig
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

here's what I do

Post by mikemicropterus »

I bring stuff up formthe states a lot.

If it's for me and not over $100 I ship it to UPS store in Ogdensburg and pick it up my-self.

I have a brokerage company that does the brokerage on a dollar value. It's quite reasonable. Anything, under I believe $600 is $40 and up to $1500 is $90 etc.

I have a Fed Ex account and have them sent the cheapest rate which is the 5 day ship option.

Since I am a business no shameless promo intended I get to declare the GST HST so it works out pretty cheap compared to when I let the companies ship via UPS.

The last order was from Bass Pro and it was under $150 and it was sent to UPS store and picked up while my wife was doing her best to help the US economy, as our leaders say we are much better off economic wise than them so why not help out our neighbours to the south. Our economy depends on it apparently.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ordering from the states

Post by Joey Rat »

I get most of my stuff from Cabelas and you know exactly what all your charges are when you place your order. I do believe they use the US mail for their deliveries unless you opt for something different and even then you still know your total cost.

The one other charge you run into is a 2.5% add on from your credit card. The only way to avoid that is to have a US dollar credit card which I do.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

There are a lot of us with an "I got screwed by UPS" story.

USPS is the best for brokerage fees in my experience.

Joey is right about Cabelas. You know to the penny what your order will cost before sending the order. No surprises when picking up package at the post office.

As Craig has said give our retail partners a chance.

Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I've had that happen with Bass Pro online: used an 100 e-gift card to buy 2 x $25 reels, within 6hrs received an email that I owed an additional $22 (making it $122 total). I cancelled it, but they still charged my e-card. Cabelas has a Canadian online outlet www.cabelas.ca. If you order from there the total price quoted will be what you pay. Done it lots.

I've also ordered from their US site and the price total in the shopping cart was the price they charged - no duty or anything but I've that I got lucky and if shipped through Canada Post you'll get charged with Duty.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Here is a question for darkelf:

Why is there no brokerage fees on things shipped with an 'X' (Xpress, etc). ??? It still crosses the same borders.

I buy things from the US quite often and have always wondered why this is?
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

RobM wrote:Here is a question for darkelf:

Why is there no brokerage fees on things shipped with an 'X' (Xpress, etc). ??? It still crosses the same borders.

I buy things from the US quite often and have always wondered why this is?
Its baked into the increased cost of the shipping.
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

curls wrote:
Its baked into the increased cost of the shipping.
Standard shipping + brokerage fees is generally far more expensive then Xpress shipping.

The last time I got dinged by FedEx was $93 in brokerage fees + $35 shipping. This was for a $180 item.