Meech Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Meech Lake

Post by Duper »

Hey Guys,

I'm heading out to Gatineau Park (Meech Lake) in seach for Perch this weekend with the girlfreind. I was told that there is a live-bait ban there but are you allowed to use dead minnows? and are maggots/worms included in the live-bait ban?

Also it's my first time fishing there so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

dead minnow/maggots/worms are legal.
some nice perch in that lake!
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

Thanks Eli,

Really looking forward to it. Done alot of hiking up there but this will be my fist time fishing on Meech. I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Dupe420 wrote:Thanks Eli,

Really looking forward to it. Done alot of hiking up there but this will be my fist time fishing on Meech. I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.
Careful if you are near the boat launch between the two beaches. There is a spring fed stream that dumps into the lake these that could cause a lot of problems for the ice. There is also one at the beach at the far end of the lake.

I would recommend the bay at the boat launch. nice 8 to 15 foot flats in the bay adjacent to some of the deepest water in the lake.

Good luck and I hope you post a report with LOTS of pictures. I miss Meech over the winter!

Craig
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

Thanks cprince,

My father-in-law and his buddy are taking us and they were there last week and caught a few. But I'll give them the heads up about the softspots for sure.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

Thanks for the advice boys. Fishing was a bit slow today but caught about a dozen Perch in about 3 hours down in 40'. All on frozen minnows that we picked up at Bits and Baits. Just used a yellow jig head right off the bottom. Marked alot more on the flasher but they just weren't as furocious today.

Hopefully heading to Constance Lake tomorrow. Anyone fished the hardwater there yet? I've never been.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

I hear something about Meech Lake and maggots... but it might not have been about fishing. :lol: