West end of Lougborough

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

West end of Lougborough

Post by JZ »

Its had some ice for a week now, anyone venture out to check the thickness? I am thinking of spuding a few holes this weekend, although I still think we are a week or two away from it being fishable.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

with all that snow you guys have had the last week I would wonder about ice thickness myself... Theres been A LOT of snow out yuor way and that insulates from good ice making conditions.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Dirtus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dirtus »

i myself would wait another week, it is probably safe closer to shore but i like to move around out there.......
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

lots of places on Dog with only 4 inches late Sunday and usually Lougborough is well behind Dog so I would be very careful...
Dirtus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dirtus »

yer right C5....we were on dog on sat for crappie......some places 6-7" some around 4 ".............
pharmer
Participant
Participant

Post by pharmer »

The deep end of Loughborough has 8 inches of ice as of this morning and is good to go.

In 3 hours of fishing my buddy and I brought up 5 lakers (but sent the 2lb one back to grow up some more) and had several more on the lines for a bit. They were typical Loughborough lake trout though...long and skinny with nothing in their stomachs. Phone battery died so no pics.

All fish were caught on the bottom in 80 fow. There was lots of activity in the 45' mark on the sonar as well but never tried for the suspended fish.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I have been out three times, most recently Thursday afternoon. We did have fishable ice previously, although it was spotty. Thursday there was a LOT of slush, and the ice that had previously been good was unsafe, water coming up kind of thing. This was near the Kepler boat launch on the west end. We did get out partway to where we wanted, but not in as deep a water as we wanted. Deep water had unsafe ice, not worth drowning for a laker.

There was enough slush and enough covering snow that I am guessing the ice will be slow to come back even with the deep freeze we are having. I am hoping to get out Monday or possibly Tuesday to check it again. In the meantime, I do urge caution to folks getting onto the ice from the Kepler launch.

Doug
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

I was out today, didnt go that far out, hit 53fow maybe 2-3 hundred meters from the launch the slush was frozen and we had about 4-5inches of solid ice under it.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

JZ wrote:I was out today, didnt go that far out, hit 53fow maybe 2-3 hundred meters from the launch the slush was frozen and we had about 4-5inches of solid ice under it.
Thanks!

Any fish?

Doug
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Doug wrote:
JZ wrote:I was out today, didnt go that far out, hit 53fow maybe 2-3 hundred meters from the launch the slush was frozen and we had about 4-5inches of solid ice under it.
Thanks!

Any fish?

Doug
Couple small ones, and lost another 4 on the way up :oops: . Only marked a couple of suspended fish the rest were right on the bottom. They would come take a look but getting them to bite was tough. 5 of the 6 hits came on a small white tube(3") and the other came on a 2" jigging rap.
One encouraging fact about these two fish was although they were small they were fairly well proportioned and when my cousin cleaned them he said their bellies were full of baitfish, also noticed one of them spit up a couple baitfish as well, not sure exactly what kind, they were about 2-3" and almost transcluent