Finesse spinning rod

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Finesse spinning rod

Post by biggs »

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a finesse spinning rod but also want this rod to be able to handle tubes (tubes aren't finesse ar they??). I don't want anything over 7ft and don't want to spend over $200.

Right now the leading contender is a 6'9" Daiwa Fuego ML but I am concerned the the lure rating won't allow it to handle tubes (1/16-3/8 ). I wish LeBaron carried the 6'10" M Fuego rod.

Honestly this rod is the leading contender because my mother hasn't heard of Paddletales and gave me a $100 LeBaron gift certificate for xmas! Not that I hate LeBaron or anything just I need a spinning rod and LeBaron doesn't offer much in terms of rods that I like except the Daiwa Fuego.

I know my ideal rod but it really isn't in the budget right now so I have to go a different route!

Rod will be paired with a Stratic Ci4 3000.

Really any suggestions would be appreciated and curious to know what others use for finesse rods.

Thanks in advance.
IanD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IanD »

Sell the Gift Cert and head over to Ed's and check out the Dobyns. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
For finesse, 4' worms, drop shots and shakey heads, I use a Champion 702sf. A little over the $200 price mark. There is always the Savvy series in the SS692SS or the SS702SS. The 703's would be better suited for tubes.

Ian
Dobyns Rods Pro Staff
The Rod Glove Pro Staff
Paddletales
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

I suggest you look at the Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye series. I use the 6'6 M for drop shot (summer) and swimming a grub (whenever). It is a beautiful rod for any delicate presentation. They are currently $127 on the Lebaron's site, and they have several lengths and actions. The 6'9 model is a ML not MH as it appears in the catalogue. Check out the Fenwick site for the true specs.

I also use a 6'6 MH Shimano Compre for various spinning applications. Shimano rods are generally a bit lighter than the rating indicates. If budget is truly a concern, these rods are a tremendous value at $109. They fish like a rod that costs significantly more.

Happy Shopping
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Pike Puncher wrote:If budget is truly a concern
It isn't really that much of a concern.
IanD wrote:Sell the Gift Cert and head over to Ed's
I have been thinking about it.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Pike Puncher wrote:I also use a 6'6 MH Shimano Compre for various spinning applications. Shimano rods are generally a bit lighter than the rating indicates. If budget is truly a concern, these rods are a tremendous value at $109. They fish like a rod that costs significantly more.

Happy Shopping
I have the same Compre (Ed's recommendation). GREAT rod for tubes, wacky rigs, walleye jigging, etc. Very sensitive and good action. I'd rate it closer to a M than a MH as well.

Do you think a M/F rod is appropriate for tubes and wacky rigs? If so, why, vs a MH rod for example?
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

curls wrote:
Pike Puncher wrote:I also use a 6'6 MH Shimano Compre for various spinning applications. Shimano rods are generally a bit lighter than the rating indicates. If budget is truly a concern, these rods are a tremendous value at $109. They fish like a rod that costs significantly more.

Happy Shopping
I have the same Compre (Ed's recommendation). GREAT rod for tubes, wacky rigs, walleye jigging, etc. Very sensitive and good action. I'd rate it closer to a M than a MH as well.

Do you think a M/F rod is appropriate for tubes and wacky rigs? If so, why, vs a MH rod for example?
I am not sure if a M/F rod is appropriate for tubes and wacky rigs.......I do prefer MH for wacky rigs though more for the hook set and I prefer casting over spinning for wacky rigs. I haven't really used tubes in the last 2yrs but when I did I prefered spinning gear, I am actually not a huge fan of spinning so I kind of want my one spinning rig to be very vesitile but I could very well be asking too much from one rod.
Maybe I should be looking more towards a M over a ML??

Do more people prefer casting or spinning when using tubes??

Sorry didn't really answer your question, just kind of rambling! Hopefully someone can answer that for you.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

For dragging tubes (or anything but flipping them to docks, really), I will only use a spinning rig. Mainly because I like to use them to skip some of the time (and skipping on a casting rig, say in a light breeze, can lead to disaster). Also, and maybe more importantly to me, if the bite is really light on the tube and I need to give them a bit of time to take the lure in and 'chew', I can open the bail and use my finger to hold the line... releasing it when I feel a slight tick, and putting the finger back on the line a few seconds later in order to detect weight. Once there's weight, flip the bail closed and slam it home!

I don't think I'd ever use a ML rod... I'd be afraid that even the slightest weed would bend the rod in half. I think I'm a lot like you in that the MH is my preferred power around here. Up in NW Ontario... that's another story, but I don't live there anymore and there's no largies there anyhow. ;)

biggs wrote:
curls wrote:

Happy Shopping

I am not sure if a M/F rod is appropriate for tubes and wacky rigs.......I do prefer MH for wacky rigs though more for the hook set and I prefer casting over spinning for wacky rigs. I haven't really used tubes in the last 2yrs but when I did I prefered spinning gear, I am actually not a huge fan of spinning so I kind of want my one spinning rig to be very vesitile but I could very well be asking too much from one rod.
Maybe I should be looking more towards a M over a ML??

Do more people prefer casting or spinning when using tubes??

Sorry didn't really answer your question, just kind of rambling! Hopefully someone can answer that for you.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Biggs??? What do you mean " Your mother hasn't heard of Ed??????"
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again