Weekend Report - January 8th and 9th - No Pics :(

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Weekend Report - January 8th and 9th - No Pics :(

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to touch base with you guys and let you know how my weekend went.

January 8th
I made it out on the Ottawa Saturday at 3pm and fished until 5:30pm. We went a bit deeper than we normally go to see if we could hook into some bigger eyes but no luck. We managed to catch 24 eyes but only kept 10 for a snack. They were all between 8 and 14 inches. I did catch an 11 inch perch which was my biggest (I believe) to date. Still no luck spotting fish with the Marcum. What am I doing wrong? I see my jig but no fish but the fish are bitting all over.

January 9th
I made it out on the river at 7am. The wind was in high force and we setup in our usual spot in about 15 FOW. As we're setting our tipups 2 of them go down and we get some fish on. 2 identical 14 inchers. I didn't want mine so my buddy said he would just keep 3 eaters for a snack. 3 hours later and after clearing my holes about 20 times because the wind kept pushing snow in our holes and freezing over we decided to pack it in. We only managed 6 eyes and a perch so maybe the morning bite isn't as good at this spot. We might have to move in closer next time. The highlight however was spotting a fish with my Marcum and catching it. As my buddy was picking up the rest of his lines, I turned towards the Marcum that was still in a hole and there was a fish so I pulled my jigging line up, drop my buckshot and as the spoon was going down the line, I saw the fish come up. I stopped at 10 feet, jigged the spoon and BAM! LOL a tiny 8" sauger. Nonetheless I did what I wanted this weekend and that was spot a fish on the Marcum and catch him. Mission accomplished.

One thing scared me though on the way back yesterday. I decided to dig a hole in about 10 FOW about 50 yards from shore. I don't really like black ice cuz you can see through it and all but apparently it's the hardest ice. I started digging through and about 3-4 inches into it, I got water. I was like, WTF... I'm outta here and as I'm walking away the ice is thumping (probably because it was like minus 20 degrees out) but I couldn't wrap my head around it. We were 200 yards further with our holes and there was current and the ice was 8-9 inches whereas here there was little to no current and only like 3-4 inches I assume. A 400 pound man on 3-4 inches is definitely not safe. I had my spikes in hand but still. I didn't expect it. Anyone wish to share their expertise on this phenomenon?

Thanks for reading!

Derek
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Weekend Report - January 8th and 9th - No Pics :(

Post by fiiish »

Spezza_Fan wrote: We managed to catch 24 eyes but only kept 10 for a snack.
2 or 3 fish is a snack... 10 is more like a buffet! :lol:
Looks like you guys have them dialed in. Nice work Derek!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Derek
i was out near rockland this weekend and when i drilled a hole it was 4" of ice 6' deep so i walked out about another 30 ft or so and drilled another hole 8 turns of the auger and i got a slurping sound so i started to walk backwards with the auger and the girlfriend looked at me when the hole started gurgling and bubbling like a volcano lol wasn't long getting out of there a local told me i just hit an air pocket under the ice !! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

fishin mission wrote:Derek
i was out near rockland this weekend and when i drilled a hole it was 4" of ice 6' deep so i walked out about another 30 ft or so and drilled another hole 8 turns of the auger and i got a slurping sound so i started to walk backwards with the auger and the girlfriend looked at me when the hole started gurgling and bubbling like a volcano lol wasn't long getting out of there a local told me i just hit an air pocket under the ice !! :shock: :shock: :shock:
That's what I thought too but it was scary as hell. I didn't go all the way though either. I just saw water and pulled the hell outta there. Scary stuff for a big man. I'll try agin a different spot later this week.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

fiiish wrote:
Spezza_Fan wrote: We managed to catch 24 eyes but only kept 10 for a snack.
2 or 3 fish is a snack... 10 is more like a buffet! :lol:
Looks like you guys have them dialed in. Nice work Derek!
Depending on the size of group I will be hosting 10 is usually just a snack. We're not talking about 3-4 pounders here. These fish barelly tip the 1 pound mark but I get what you mean. You've never seen me before right? I could eat half a cow from CPrince's farm for supper. LOL 72oz steak from Lone Star? Piece of cake. Hahaha!
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Spezza_Fan wrote:Still no luck spotting fish with the Marcum. What am I doing wrong? I see my jig but no fish but the fish are bitting all over.
They may be super aggressive and coming in too fast especially with the numbers you're getting - I've had that happen most often with pike. One second the screen is clear and the next FISH ON!!!

Its a good problem to have. :wink:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I am thinking air pocket as well. Hit them all the time on some of the back lakes etc. Will happen even more so on the river as currents change. So look at all the melt we got and then refreeze it. You have the first main layer of ice, then some water and then some ice again. This ice will turn into honeycomb ice which is very sketchy ice. The thumping sound is just the ice forming. It is pretty cool to be sitting out on it in the middle of the night and hearing that stuff CRACK.....gets the blood flowing again :lol:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Seen ya out there Sunday :wink: 8)
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Bass Addict wrote:Seen ya out there Sunday :wink: 8)
Not many people out there BA! Did u c me back the hell outta there when I was digging. Next time dont be shy and come and say hi! I dont bite humans! ;)
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Keep at it! You'll find those bigger fish will move into the shallower water at night. Your on a good pattern right now, the big one will bite soon :D I'll be out again tomorrow night if ya want to sneak out for an evening fish. Only one eye tonight, and a small one at that lol.
rdjprice
Participant
Participant

Post by rdjprice »

Thats a sweet catch Spezza! I think I just saw your photos in a second thread?

Anyways, I'm new to the area and have been out a couple of times. I'll be out this weekend not sure exactly where I'll head to though. If you don't mind, are you having your luck at SB or WB? I have a Marcum as well so maybe I can give you a hand with it.

This weekend I'll be a lone wolf in a fish trap pro flip over, red and black floater suit. Name is Rob.

cheers,
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

rdjprice wrote:Thats a sweet catch Spezza! I think I just saw your photos in a second thread?

Anyways, I'm new to the area and have been out a couple of times. I'll be out this weekend not sure exactly where I'll head to though. If you don't mind, are you having your luck at SB or WB? I have a Marcum as well so maybe I can give you a hand with it.

This weekend I'll be a lone wolf in a fish trap pro flip over, red and black floater suit. Name is Rob.

cheers,
What does SB and WB mean exactly? I'm fishing from the Aylmer area so that's what's working for me these days. I haven't fished anywhere else on the river yet this year. Are you fishing the same area as me this weekend?

Derek
rdjprice
Participant
Participant

Post by rdjprice »

Hi Derek,

My apologies. I was referring to Shirley's Bay which is on the Ontario side across from Aylmer, and Walleye Bay off of Petrie Island.

The Alymer area is new to me so I'm not sure where you are fishing exactly. I would be interested in checking it out. I was at SB on Tues evening for 4 hours and didn't mark a single fish. I think I'll be checking out some new spots my next coupe of times out.

Any suggestions about where to go around Aylmer?

-Rob