What do you guys pay for a dozen minnows?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What do you guys pay for a dozen minnows?

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Hey guys,
I just wanted to get a rough estimate of what you guys pay for a dozen minnows. During the summer I catch my own so I never pay for them but I always get shocked when I go and buy a dozen during the winter and I see the price. In Aylmer, there is only one spot where they sell live minnows and they go for 7$ a dozen. 7$ for twelve 2-3 inch minnows is somewhat ridiculous I find. But maybe that's what they go for and I'm just not used to it. 7$ for a dozen of 6 inchers for pike is reasonable but 2-3 inchers is just surprising.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Hey dude,

They range from 5,50 to 8$....

8)
|Dore|
fish_on
Participant
Participant

Post by fish_on »

$8 for a dozen! this is crazy. Im from T-bay. I usually pay 4 bucks for mediums. Boy was I surprised when I bought minnows.
Men and fish are alike..... they both get into trouble when they open their mouths!!
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Don't forget, the dealers who sell minnows usually have a store to run and don't have the time or resources to trap their own minnows. Therefore, they usually buy them from someone who traps minnows for a living. Factor in that cost to your dealer, gas, hydor to run the tanks and maintence on the tanks, and, I don't think the profit margin on minnows is enormous. Die off of your product is another factor as well, and certainly cuts into your profits as well.
Last edited by Pints on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

5$ in Wendover, 7$ at Ozile's. Keep your dead minnows and freeze them in salt. When the fish are hitting on the jig, they'll hit a dead minnow. For whatever reason, they sometimes ever work better than live. Only problem is you can only thaw them once. If you refreeze and thaw, you end up with a ziploc of minnow soup.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Raydar
Participant
Participant

Post by Raydar »

I just paid $6.50-$6.75 can't remember for med. minnow, but he was a nice guy at Bits and Baits because they were more like 3-4" not 2-3". One or two of them even look like 5". But hey like they say " you want to play you got to pay".

Raydar 8)
Keep your line in the water and there will always be a smile on your face.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Pints wrote:Don't forget, the dealers who sell minnows usually have a store to run and don't have the time or resources to trap their own minnows. Therefore, they usually buy them from someone who traps minnows for a living. Factor in that cost to your dealer, gas, hydro to run the tanks and maintence on the tanks, and, I don't think the profit margin on minnows is enormous. Die off of your product is another factor as well, and certainly cuts into your profits as well.
thanks bud......you nailed it. :)

Here are our prices per dozen for 2011.....taxes in.

small minnows (1.5-2 inches)......$3.00

medium minnows (2-3")......$6.75

large minnows (4-5")......$9.25

extra large minnows (6"+)......$12.15

:)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Gord did you get any live maggots by chance?
Gord

NPAA#553
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hey guys,
I just wanted to get a rough estimate of what you guys pay for a dozen minnows. During the summer I catch my own so I never pay for them but I always get shocked when I go and buy a dozen during the winter and I see the price. In Aylmer, there is only one spot where they sell live minnows and they go for 7$ a dozen. 7$ for twelve 2-3 inch minnows is somewhat ridiculous I find. But maybe that's what they go for and I'm just not used to it. 7$ for a dozen of 6 inchers for pike is reasonable but 2-3 inchers is just surprising.

Do they throw in a car wash? :lol:
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Gordo wrote:Gord did you get any live maggots by chance?
mid next week dude. I'll post in my forum when they arrive. :)

Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

15 »$ a dozen :(!
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Daner wrote:
Hey guys,

Do they throw in a car wash? :lol:
Nope! It's the only place they sell 'em!
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Gord wrote:
Pints wrote:Don't forget, the dealers who sell minnows usually have a store to run and don't have the time or resources to trap their own minnows. Therefore, they usually buy them from someone who traps minnows for a living. Factor in that cost to your dealer, gas, hydro to run the tanks and maintence on the tanks, and, I don't think the profit margin on minnows is enormous. Die off of your product is another factor as well, and certainly cuts into your profits as well.

Those are very reasonable prices. I think my buddy gets the smallest ones he can so we'd get the 1.5-2 inchers. The question is, if I get them today, will they be alive tomorrow in a pail with a pump? What time are you guys open until tonight?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

my of my closest friends is a bait wholesaler.

let's just say, with the competition on tackle, rods, and reels, (with walmart, crappy tire, the internet, etc) the minnows is an area where high markup can be achieved.

so in reality, although the reasons are "similar" to what has been suggested above, the cost of wholesale minnows is not high....

however, the cost of a store vs the small markup on tackle means minnows is one of the area's where a store can actually turn a decent profit.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Spezza_Fan wrote:
Gord wrote:

Those are very reasonable prices. I think my buddy gets the smallest ones he can so we'd get the 1.5-2 inchers. The question is, if I get them today, will they be alive tomorrow in a pail with a pump? What time are you guys open until tonight?
We are open 'till 8pm......and open at 6am tomorrow mornin' :) ...and they'll stay alive overnight.....no problem. :)