High School Ice Fishing Day

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

High School Ice Fishing Day

Post by JimW »

Hello,

I teach a course in Natural Resource & Outdoor Studies at Athens District High School. I also run our school student fishing team.

This year we are hoping to increase the number of student fishing activities and are looking into running an ice fishing outing or two.

I have a few avid student anglers that want to fish the Bay of Quinte and we are trying to organize a guided ice fishing trip on the bay.

I am also looking into organizing an ice fishing day on a saturday or Sunday, on a local body of water for interested students who may or may not have ice fished before.

Most of my local ice fishing is done on Mississippi Lake and Constance Lake, which are further from Athens than I want to hold the event.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on bodies of water not too far from Athens, Ontario that have easy walk-on access to fishing areas and will provide a decent chance for the students to catch fish. Species of fish doesn't matter. Waters I was thinking of are Graham Lake....Temperance Lake....Belamy's Pond.... Upper Rideau Lake....or??? My ice fishing experience on these bodies of water is limited so just looking for away suggestions on bodies of water I should maybe consider and go check out.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Here is our High School fishing trip this past June for anyone the didn't see the report.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... igh+school

JimW
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

HEY JimW I did read about the athens fishing team in the Recorder & Times this years sounds like a cool program you got going.
Graham Lake would be an excellent pike lake for the students, the island east side is the best spot for pike in my opinion. Temperance is a safe choice for ice and some pike and small crappie. G2 would be my choice for Qunite. Keep up the good work JimW very interesting course you got going there in Athens.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

thanks riverdog, I'll take a look at Graham. G2 is who we are looking at for Quinte, I'm going out with them Jan. 4th.

cheers

JimW