Were you aware?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Were you aware?

Post by Lunker Larry »

This should stir up some conversation.

A CO recently stated that the QC MNR does not recognize the Ontario Conservation License when fishing in QC water on the Ottawa because there is no equivalent in their regulations. So, if you are fishing over the boundary line on the Ottawa in Quebec waters, you need a Sportsman License or you could be fined or whatever by the Quebec MNR.

Now, in a way it makes sense, like you can have a drink in the boat in Quebec but you cannot in Ontario waters so, if you wander over the line, you're breaking Ontario law. Most fishing regulations have been harmonized between the two provinces but there are still a couple that are not.

This was stated at a FMZ12 committee meeting by the CO in attendance and shocked everyone around the table.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Tell him to mark a line on the ice this winter and in the summer I will make sure I dont cross over it. :roll:

Good debate though Lunker and good info...sorta makes sense to me too.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

But us Quebeckers can still fish the Ontario side with our Quebec licenses right?
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Ontario / Quebec

Post by Bait&Fate »

Spezza_Fan wrote:But us Quebeckers can still fish the Ontario side with our Quebec licenses right?
Yep ....... Just don't be having any booze with you in the boat.

:wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, Someone isn't thinking" - George Patton
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Old news. :P
I know this subject has been touched on many times before here on F-H. I personally have no issue with it.
Spezza_Fan wrote:But us Quebeckers can still fish the Ontario side with our Quebec licenses right?
Yes. Not with 5 rods though! :x

It's easy... if you have an Ontario conservation license, stay and fish in Ontario.
If you have either a Quebec fishing license or an Ontario sport fishing license you can fish either side of the Ottawa river, but you have to follow the rules of the province you're fishing in.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

You can drink a beer while in a boat on the Quebec side? I thought I was being a badass...... :wink:

E
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I can't possibly see how this can be right, the laws state that ether province will accept what is legal for the other. So if it is legal to fish with a conservation or sportfishing license in Ontario then it's legal to do so on both sides of the river. I'd like to see what would happen if someone was ever to get a ticket for this, it would be easy to fight in court.

On a side note, I've had both licenses for years and just recently realised that my family can fish under my Quebec license which means all those times we went fishing on the Ottawa and my wife did not have a license she could of fished. Then again the MNR may not recognise the Quebec license as we don't allow the family to fish under our license. :wink:

Now what about ice fishing is the number of rods dictated by the border? Or can a Quebec guy cross over and fish with his 5 tip ups?

Then again when are we ever going to see a CO on the Ottawa from ether side? I could of fished without a license for 17 years and never get a fine. LMAO Maybe they just show in the winter?
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

There is no conversation.

Right from their website, people with an Ontario license in zone 25 and treated like they have a Quebec license.

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... idents.asp

Case closed.

PS -> Ontario's version for those who want it:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume ... 198219.pdf
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Crunchy wrote:There is no conversation.

Right from their website, people with an Ontario license in zone 25 and treated like they have a Quebec license.

Case closed.

A sportfishing license, that's what it says nothing about a Conservation License.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

Wallyboss wrote:
Crunchy wrote:There is no conversation.

Case closed.

A sportfishing license, that's what it says nothing about a Conservation License.
If it doesn't mention conservation, you have to assume its not OK. It clearly says sportfishing licenses are OK.

Do they have to inform you each and every license that is not acceptable? Its not OK to use a Alberta license to fish the Ottawa, its not OK to use a fake license to fish the Ottawa, its not ok to use your gym membership......get what I mean?

If you live in ON, your sport fishing license is what, $10 more than a conservation? Compare that to the $60 or whatever it is to buy a QC license. Just pay the extra $10.