Walleye Deadstick Ice rod???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Walleye Deadstick Ice rod???

Post by OBD »

What do you guys use when deadsticking for winter walleyes?

Thanks!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I love my Yad rod not sure of the model though. But most of the time I have a tipdown set up with a drop shot.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Medium jigging rod with a drop-shot, drag wide open in a rod holder. Or I also have 2 wonder rods that do a good job.

Yannick
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

I still love my Genz Stick gold walleye rods for deadsticking. Bought them at Bits and Baits a few years back, I don't think they even make them anymore.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

I think I know... but what exactly is "Deadsticking" and in what applications is it used?

Craig
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

cprince wrote:I think I know... but what exactly is "Deadsticking" and in what applications is it used?

Craig
Just leaving the rod and line alone, no jigging no nothing. Just let it sit there dead and let the fish take the bait and run with it.

Often if you set up a dead stick and then jig not to far away, your jigging will attract the walleye, but if they are light biting, they will suck in the motionless bait on your dead stick
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

MLR wrote: your jigging will attract the walleye, but if they are light biting, they will
suck in the motionless bait on your dead stick
I totally agree. Unreal how often the deadstick closest to where you're jigging is the one with the most action.

A little tip for you guys on the Ottawa, pickerel rig=sauger, dropshot=walleye.

Yannick
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

MLR wrote: Just leaving the rod and line alone, no jigging no nothing. Just let it sit there dead and let the fish take the bait and run with it.

Often if you set up a dead stick and then jig not to far away, your jigging will attract the walleye, but if they are light biting, they will suck in the motionless bait on your dead stick
Thanks boys...

I will guess that live bait or recently dead bait is the most effective choice for this. I mean... spoons wouldn't be too effective to deadstick... right?

Craig
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

yup bait on the dead stick, definitely.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

I use the deadstick from Thorne Bros and works well. The rod is 2/3 solid backbone with the rest limber as a noodle. Awesome rod but it takes a little getting used to. It's a bigger rod so it balances with a bigger reel. Too long for a shack though.

Manny