Two Trips To The Lower Niagara

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Two Trips To The Lower Niagara

Post by big-o »

I've made two trips down to the Lower Niagara in the past 3 weeks, the first trip down 3 weeks ago I had Ransom(Ian) join me. We left Ottawa around 9:30 PM, our first stop was to Port Dalhousie, for browns, arriving just past 3 in the Morning our goal was to get in a couple of hours float fishing from shore before Joe showed up with his boat . On arrival we opted for a few hours sleep rather than braving the cold winds that were there to meet us on arrival.
The launch At Port Dalhousie in St. Cathrine's
Ian getting tied up ready foe a day on the water in search of so Brown Trout
Joe arrived just before dawn, a quick launch and we were fishing
The fishing was slow to say the least... so after a few hours we made a decision to loat the boat and make the move to the Lower Niagara River at Queenston. Once on the water we made a few drifts on the Queenston Back Drift nothing, we moved to the Pump House drift... nothing, we tried several other drifts with the same results..... nothing, so we packed in for the day and headed to Squigy69 place where he had offered to put Ian and Myself up for our stay. After a meal of Pizza and Wings a few beers, every one retired for the night... well almost every one, I stayed up and watched the tube till about mid night :roll: I was up and had the coffee on about 2:45 woke the guys up and got ready to attach the lower again. This Time we brought Squigys Boat,Ian was going to be riding with Joe and I with Chris.
The morning fish took right up where we had left off the day before... nothing Chris and I headed for the Niagara Bar... but once getting to the mouth of the river we quickly realized there was no way we could fish it the wind was brutal and the waves were massive. We turned around and headed back up river. We spotted a boat landing a fish on the way to the bar, so we stopped there and joined in 3 other boats working the drift... it didn't take long before we were in our first fish... Chris hooked into a nice Brown
Chris with a nice Hen Brown,his first on the Lower Niagara

As he was getting the hook out of his fish I hooked into my first fish of the trip, but lost as I got fish ran around the trolling motor :oops:
A few drifts Later Chris hooked into another fish this time it was a male Brown...

By this Time Joe and Ian had joined into now a seven boat rotation drift, Joe hooked into a Brown also.

Not to long after they had landed that fish I was into another one... this fish stayed deep and and bull dogged me, with big head shakes i though i hooked into a laker... but no, another nice fat Female Brown. My first Niagara brown

Again after a hour or so Chris was into another fish a brown again

then it was my turn again... This fish put up a great battle and this is what I had come down for ...a nice male Brown in full spawn colors :D

It was starting to get late so we pulled the plug and headed for the Launch, we were going to fish Sunday, but Ian had a soccer game on Sunday. We drove to Squigys place dropped off his boat had a great homemade Pork Stew.. and headed home... Thanks Chris for putting us up and to your wife for that great supper Saturday night before we left.
A group shot of some of the fish that we landed Saturday, the Hens were milked of their eggs for our next trip

Sitting at home the next weekend I thought i wanted to go back again, so a few call later Carlco and RJ joined me for the trip down, RJ had got hold of Aron Shirley and made arrangements to share a boat with him, you can read all about his trip on his blog... you guys had a great day :D
Our day started off where we had left off 2 weeks before, the same drift that had given us all our fish... this time we were hoping to get into a few Steelhead.Joe,Chris,Carl and myself were in Joe's boat. Joe hooked into a fish,a hen Brown.

I think the very next drift Joe picked up his second fish of the day, A hen Brown a clone to his first..(No Picture :oops: )

Then Chris Picked up this one

I starting to think that I was going to head back to Ottawa with out catching a fish... but a few minutes later i felt a little weight on the rod set the hook and i was into my first fish of the trip I nice fresh run Brown, not yet into her full spawn Colors

We left the drift and headed up to where Aaron and RJ were, not have a NY state fishing licence we just stopped to see how they were doing.

Aaron and RJ.

The trip up river is harry, the current coming down is phenomenal and is not to be under estimated.
Some shots going up river

A well known land Mark.

After a short chat, we headed back down river back to the same drift, Carl still had not landed a fish... and since this was going to be a day trip only, time was running out. So we headed back to the same drift.We made a few drifts when Squigy set the hook on his 3rd fish of the trip

With that fish landed we had to start to pack up and heads back to the launch. Carl didn't get his first Niagara fish, but we are going back in January to give the Lakers a shot, I know he will get it then

Big thanks again to Joe, he is always the first to offer up himself and his boat for us easterners... Thank Joe your a good friend :D Squigy ...thanks for all the laughs, i can't wait to get back out on the water with you again... see you in January... unless I can find a few traveling companions to head back down in a few weeks :wink:

Big-O
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Geeze Phil.... that river looks awesome. I visited, but never fished it. I would guess that it is ice free all year round... right? What else is in that river?

Thanks for sharing those amazing pictures!

Craig
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Some beauty looking fish there Phil. Nice job.

JimW
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Great report, pics and fish! Very nice. 8) :D
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Nice going Phil. nice looking trouts.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Cong on the Browns, you fellas are hard-core. :shock:
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Fantastic work on the browns, love the kypes.

and the solo paddler shot :lol: :lol:
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Well done Big-O,
Nice camera work how the trip panned out. Healthy fish too!
Mark
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

I sure miss those days at the bar spring time but even better any time !!!!!!

Great pic's thanks for the report :wink:

Pauly
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Stunning report Phil!......some awesome fish there. I'll never get tired of lookin' at pics of browns.....IMO the most glorious of all trout. :D :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Great outing there guys :) . Me Im getting jealous and Im geting crazy I just cant wait to go out on the ice.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Whoa.....

Quite the report Phil , Kind of makes RJ's look like one of ours.. :wink: 8)

Congrats to All involved
weedliner
Participant
Participant

Post by weedliner »

Nice fish guys. I fish the river often. Just wounding what you guys do with these fish your catching
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Love the report ! Nice fish :D
|Dore|
gethooked
Participant
Participant

Post by gethooked »

great pics thanks