Ice fishing heat sources?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice fishing heat sources?

Post by MTF »

Got my first taste of ice fishing last year and I am now starting to pick up my own gear this year.

I was wondering what the F-Hers use to keep warm out on the ice?
I am interested in hear what types and models of products you use. I imagine a small portable propane heater would be my best option...

I will probably be using a converted tent (at least it will block the wind) until I pick up a proper prortable ice fishing shelter.

Thanks,
Marc
Wishing I was fishing
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Mr. Heater or Mr. Buddy heater are both popular for around $100
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

I have access to all 3 models......

In Stock now......one Big Buddy heater. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

I use a portable propane heater it give off about 10000btu and has 3 different level of heat it also us a cooker if u flip it the other way , it us about 60$ at le baron and sail.....

I got hooked into ice fishing last year I use my hunting blind as a shelter and i have an 4 an 6 inch hand auger... I just picked up a gas auger used of course ...still a struggling student here... Next year I'll pick up a proper shelter at least for 4 people..

Chen k
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Torn between the buddy heater and the martin heater (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA)
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

I have the Big Buddy Heater and it is really effective. It keeps my 40foot trailer warm and toasty. We use the smaller version in the shack and it works very efficiently also. Mind you we have a propane lamp and a propane stove also they throw a lot of heat too. I usually fish outside in my outdoor clothes and that keeps very warm also.

I need a supply of anti fogging mist for my glasses. :roll:
Life goes on
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

I will take this in another direction since I am usually on the ice with no shelter. Dress in layers, floater suit, couple pairs of gloves(one pair to wear and one I keep in an interior pocket and I keep swaping them out), insulated boats with those disposable hand warmer in them. Stand with your back to the wind and you will be good to go.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Got the Buddy Heater. Love it.
On a 1lb tank (green disposable type), I get about 4-5 hrs on high setting and 6-8 hrs on low.
I really hate throwing the green tanks in the garbage (since recycling facilities don't accept them) so this year I'm going to look in to a 5lb tank and a hose to save some money as well as the environment.
IndySKS
Participant
Participant

Post by IndySKS »

fiiish wrote:Got the Buddy Heater. Love it.
On a 1lb tank (green disposable type), I get about 4-5 hrs on high setting and 6-8 hrs on low.
I really hate throwing the green tanks in the garbage (since recycling facilities don't accept them) so this year I'm going to look in to a 5lb tank and a hose to save some money as well as the environment.
or get the adapter and fill the little guys on your own from a larger tank
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

IndySKS wrote:or get the adapter and fill the little guys on your own from a larger tank
Excellent suggestion! I'm just not sure if I trust myself enough for that. :lol:
I forget the specifics right now but I read something somewhere about each tank needing to be a different temperature in order to fill them properly and even then you can only get it 3/4 full at most.
That could mean carrying 3-4 tanks around. :?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Little Buddy for me.
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

fiiish wrote:Got the Buddy Heater. Love it.
if you wanna sell it let me know ;)
|Dore|
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

I also use the Buddy Heater in an HT 2 man pop up. Seldom need to use the high setting and I can stay in there in a T-shirt.

Billy Bones :lol:
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

source of heat?

des galoches MON AMI!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Ice fishing heat sources?

Post by Moosebunk »

marcthefisherman wrote:I will probably be using a converted tent (at least it will block the wind) until I pick up a proper prortable ice fishing shelter.

Just paid $132 for the 2-man Instashack. Wanted something I could squeeze a rug-rat or two into with me. LeBarons. This week no tax sale and 10% off if you've got the card. Good and cheap start for a solid portable shack if you're thinking XMas spending.