Flasher over fish finder?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's most appreciated, the one thing that is still not specific is: Will a Flasher show me the structure well? will it help me identify what it looks like down there? I fish up north often in the winter time, on lakes i haven't been able to scout in the summer soft water so defining the bottom structure is very important for me. I'm wondering if a Flasher will enable me to see that or simply see the movements in the water above structure?

Chuck,
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

A flasher will allow you to determine the bottom's "hardness" without a doubt. Weeds are also distinguishable.

RJ
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

is it worth it to buy a vexilar, which seems to be the most expensive unit out there, or are the cheaper models about the same quality? 500 dollars seems a little steep to me for a flasher, but if they all don't do what the vex does than I have to get one lol.
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Flasher over fish finder?

Post by Woodsman »

Nodie wrote: The main advantage of a flasher is that what you see on the display is exactly what is happening under the ice, and not 10 seconds later.
This comment is completely false. The right side of the screen is as realtime as any flasher. As it scrolls to the left it is history.
this can be an advantage. With a flasher if you miss seeing the screen when the fish breaks the beam you'll never know it did but with a fishfinder you have that extra 5-10 seconds to see what happened.
Other advantages of a fishfinder over flasher.
-Depending on the flasher used you can have zero to only a few zoom options but most fishfinders have many.
-Generally longer battery life due to no moving parts.
-Some find vertical display easier to understand.
-Better option for open water than a flasher particularly when in a moving boat.
-Can be bought for less $.

I use a Humminbird 170 and do I think it's better than a good flasher? No. (Notice I said a good flasher)
But if you learn to use it, it can be very helpful & can do some things flashers can not.(see above)
I can see my jig in over 80' of water & see it move when I jig it.
I can see fish when they move in and also identify baitfish from game fish. Bottom hardness can also be determined by strength of bottom return.
Fishfinders can be very helpful if you learn to use them to their best advantages.
If I can afford it I'm going to get a Humminbird Ice 55 this year so I'm not saying fishfinders are best but a good option for many.
Here's a picture of my current set-up.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

RJ wrote:In my opinion, nothing can replace a flasher on ice...........

RJ
OR at the front of a boat :wink:
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

I dunno Woodsman, that's what the dealers say.

My Vex and Marcum flashers work better for me on the ice than my depth finder (notice I did not say fish finder).

Once you become familiar with their diplays and function, which takes 5 minutes, they're great.

Mine have way more zoom options than I need. Never had a battery die. I don't see any need for screen "history", it's all happening right there right now. You snooze you lose.

I'd like to think I could use my depth finder. I have tried, but it is not up to the task. Didn't like it one bit. Thus the flashers.

PS they're great on soft water too.

Maple
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

Maple wrote:Thus the flashers.

PS they're great on soft water too.

Maple
For vertical jigging there great on soft water.
For trolling their virtually useless.
I don't see any need for screen "history", it's all happening right there right now. You snooze you lose.
While tending a second line you'll not be seeing your electronics. That short history can alert you to fish you may have just missed but can call back to the area.
Mine have way more zoom options than I need.
If your happy being limited to bottom 6' or 12'.

BTW I was not repeating "what dealers say" but speaking of personal experience. For those who can not afford a flasher but already own a fishfinder it's an option that works.
As I said if I can afford it I'll be getting a flasher this year but until then I'll use what I got. I have used both flashers & fishfinders on the ice & a fishfinder will do far more than the flasher crowds give them credit for.
One thing I know as I have seen it, is that I can see a lot more with my set-up than some with flashers that have not taken the time to learn how to use them fully.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I keep hearing how great flashers are, from people whose opinions I respect. So I'm sure they are great. Perhaps better target discrimination than an LCD sonar?

However, I still use an $80 LCD sonar on ice... and it works for me. One time on ice last winter, I stated that I can see my lure at 80+ feet on the screen. This was met with disbelief until others around watched the "sawtooth" line while I was jigging. RH side is as real-time as I will get.

While chumming our holes, I can see the chum falling to bottom all the way down. It's a matter of turning off all ASP, increasing sensitivity and working with raw sonar data.

Many times I have watched fish come in, as a straight horizontal line, then dropped my lure to just above the line, watched the fish "line" go diagonal as it came to the lure, then had a hit seconds later.

Another time I watched a small fish right on bottom in 90 FOW. Suspecting it could be a whitefish, I dropped the lure to the fish, and seconds later had a rather lethargic fish on the line. Lifting it up- it was a 8" rock bass, with the hook snagged in it's eye socket. Seeing a 8" fish in 80 FOW is cool.

Again, I'm sure I would do as well or maybe even better with a flasher.
One item that I would be interested in... is a narrower cone sonar. When fishing 80-100 FOW, a narrow cone would be beneficial. You can buy various angle transducers for the Vex's for different applications...

But where's the $600 going to come from? :lol:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Woodsman wrote:

What is the foamy thingy Woody?

BTW... I was thinking about bringing out my FF out on the ice this year just to see... I think for depth information alone, it would be helpful. As for buying something specific for ice fishing that is over $500... well... lets just say I am still not convinced that I like ice fishing THAT much... yet...

Craig
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

cprince wrote: What is the foamy thingy Woody?
Fish zapper Craig.....runs of the battery. Wanna keep a fish for the table ZZZZZAP!! Kills fish quick. Will bring fishing partners to their knees :lol:
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

DropShot'r wrote:
Fish zapper Craig.....runs of the battery. Wanna keep a fish for the table ZZZZZAP!! Kills fish quick. Will bring fishing partners to their knees :lol:
I have a cattle prod... would that work too? 18volts..

Craig
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Been following this thread with great interest.

I am not much of an ice fisherman, just go ice fishing to blow the stink off in the winter, so I don't go stir crazy. Put some gear together
last winter, portable ice hut, good 6 inch hand auger, heater and a few ice fishing rods. Have seen a vexilar in action and couldn't make
head nor tails of it. Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or I haven't seen one enough to understand what I'm looking at.
I do know what I'm looking at with a graph like the X 67 by Lowrance, so I will go that way. Can also mount it on my boat next spring.
I think both are probably good, but for this old fart I want something simple that I can understand.

X 67 Ice Machine is probably best for me.

Billy Bones :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

cprince wrote:
DropShot'r wrote:
I have a cattle prod... would that work too? 18volts..

Craig
Just throw the SOB's on the ice and let them freeze to Death..........its a much cheaper way :idea:
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

cprince wrote:
Woodsman wrote:

What is the foamy thingy Woody?

Craig
It's part of the float system I rigged up for my transducer. A piece of foam bought at a surplus store for $0.49. A piece of a pool noodle would work the same way. Cut along one side to the center of the foam. Insert transducer cable into the middle & secure with electrical ties. Tight enough so that it will hold but can slide to different depths, so that transducer can be lowered to just below ice level.
Used a fence bracket bolted to the transducer & cable is attached to it with more electrical ties so that the transducer will hang level.
Here's another pic of the set-up.
CityIt
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CityIt »

I bit the bullet last year and bought an X67C... Best pruchase Ive made! Youre catches increase like you never couldve thought! Drill holes and almost immediately determine if fish are present or not, rather than sit at it for a while with nothing, hell they coudl be right there just not like your 'offering'. Also, the X67C is an all year round item, with a full functioning fish finder, all you need is a different transducer. Less than $100.

Good luck with your choice! Youll be happy that you bought one, regardless of the make or model.