A special fishing moment in time for you ...care to share?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

-I fished Duval for the 1 day it was open after being closed for over 5 years... that was nearly 30 years ago. Lots of trout were caught that day!

Too many memories come to mind. Some that stay at the top though are...

-My 2 1/2 year old daughter caught her first fish. I casted out a tube jig and handed her the rod to keep her busy. A few minutes later she reeled in a bass all by herself without me knowing it! I was shocked! Of course she screamed when it jumped at the boat and she got scared and didn't want it in the boat! (I told her it was jumping to say hello, but she wasn't convinced)

-I caught my PB Lake trout when I was 7 years old on my very first (real) fishing trip. The handle of the fishing reel kept getting caught in the loop of the knot tied in the lifejacket I had around my neck. Still managed to get that fish in that was almost 10 pounds.I've fished that small lake for 30 years since and I have still not beat it! Caught a monster brookie a foot from the boat on the same trip, and I've been hooked ever since.

-A year later, same lake, trying to "cast" with my Penn 309 reel and leadcore line. Massive birdsnest ensues. As I'm trying to clear this mess with my 8 year old fingers and have 100 feet of line bunched up just off the end of the dock, a nice trout grabs the worm and takes off. I pull that fish in by hand and show it to my grandfather.

-My sister catching a huge bass on her "Snoopy" rod when we were kids, and that rod getting completely destroyed! She graduated to a real one after that fish!

-Memories of doing portages with my Dad. The kind of guy to drag an aluminum boat over a mountain to fish a lake with his kids, (me trying to help but probably just in the way) and them him going back and carying the 6HP evinrude in one hand and the gas can in another. Of course I had the fishing rods and the line gets caught in a tree and half of it is pulled off the spool before I realize it. I can be using the same lure, same depth, same everything, and that man will still outfish me.

-Taking my nephews out for bass fishing when they're biting like crazy.. getting a bunch on, setting the hook, open the bail and casually asking them to hold my rod while I look for something in my tacklebox....and ask them to close the bail to stop letting line out. even after a dozen or more they reel in for me, they never caught on to what I was doing.

- Hitting my first salmon run when no one was around. Get to a pool as light is breaking and my first cast nabs a monster and it takes off. That was my first time using a fly rod... and I catch a 30 lbs salmon.

- Out fishing with one of my ex girlfriends, and she catches a bass, as it's splashing around at the boat a huge pike grabs it at takes off, peeling like off the reel. THought she was going to jump out of the boat. Managed to get the pike. The girlfriend was released though.. :wink:

-For me fishing isn't nearly as fun alone as with someone else. As long as someone else is there to share it with me it makes it memorable. Sometimes it's not the fish itself but the things around it. For me, I have the most fun when those fishing with me are having fun.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Some very interesting story there guys :D .

Me well I got a couple good fishing story to remember.

When I was about 13 years old we went to my uncle cottage at Lac Serpent in Notre Dame du Laus and I was fishing there almost day and nights at the end of the dock catching perch and sunfish when all the sudden I had a good bite and set the hook to find out it was a smally close to 3 lbs and was my biggest fish in that time and I was so excited and after I pulled the fish out I start to ran and tell the gang that at the end of the duck I fell head first in the sand and a bit of water and I was all wet but really happy on catching my 1rst bass. That bass got me hooked on bass fishing ever since :D and now I do some bass tournament.

Another good fishing outing I had was when me and my dad went fishing on the Nation river near Casselman with my dad cousin that he was an avid fishermen and I caught a smally right off the bat and my dad causin caught a smally also and we had a great night the gang together. The reason why it was one of my greatest outing we had it was because after the outing he start to fill sick went for some test they found out he had pancreatic cancer and went down the hill so fast that not even 5 months afer he pass away :cry: .
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Years ago, a highlight for my brothers and I was fishing with dad each summer. We would have liked to have gone more often than we were able to, but when the opportunity came we sure were excited.

Although 33+ years ago, one particular trip will remain etched in my mind forever, recounted here.

One warm July afternoon, dad & his fishing buddy Paul invited us 3 kids along with them for an evening fishing trip. Man were we pumped!!

"Now get out there and dig the worms"... 1/2 hour later we had the front yard looking like a mole convention had just left town, with clumps of sod overturned everywhere, and 2 dozen earthworms in a bucket.

By 5pm we were loaded into the 1976 Mercury Marquis (a boat unto itself), with 6-8 foot pool-cue poles, most without eyes at the tips, Zebco reels wound with K-Mart's finesse 20lb test fishing line that could have been put to better use as clothesline, loaded in the cavernous trunk. We each had our 3 lonely lures from the 3 birthday's past in our respective tackle boxes, along with some giant red-white bobbers and leaders that could have restrained a cow from Craig's farm.

Paul towing his pride and joy Starcraft tank behind the trusty Nova, and our road-hogging Marquis with the flip open headlight covers, the 400 CI big block under the massive hood slurping back the $0.75/gallon gas... and 3 boys dreaming of the big catch sitting across the back seat that could have held 10 of us. Dad up front with his characteristic hand placement on the wheel, cigar in mouth, off to Percy Boom we sailed in our road-boat.

Once down the cottage road, Paul and Dad offloaded the boat, with 3 smiling brush-cut kids jammed into 3 keyhole life-preservers. . my older bro always got to wear one that fit... :lol:

After parking the cars, it was quite apparent that although the old Starcraft was trustworthy, the 14foot length was going to be somewhat problematic to cast from with 5 people in it. A hasty decision was made, and in a few minutes Dad, Paul, my oldest bro and OUR bucket of worms were chugging away from the dock in the boat, while my other bro and I stood on the dock... without even a worm that we dug ourselves for bait.

Now, standing on the dock fishing was a welcome experience, but somehow the whole deal about the eldest getting to go out in the boat, with the worms that we had dug, took a bit of the shine off the faces of my brother and I. We tried to make the best of the situation... and dug through our tackle boxes for our prized spoons and spinners.

We cast our lures and retrieved, catching some weeds and rocks occasionally, until one of us had a brainy moment. "See the swamp beside the dock? I bet there are some frogs in there" With that, we went for a walk into the swamp, emerging shortly after, covered in slime and mud, but with a goodly 2 dozen leopard frogs, jammed safely in our tackle boxes... thumping and jumping in disagreement to their new temporary home.

Carefully, we each secured a frog to our over-sized hooks, above which each was given a giant red and white bobber to hold the leader and frog in suspension.

Zing!! The trusty Zebco spooled out a good 20ft of line... which was now neatly coiled across the water like a stretched out slinky. Zip!!.... another spool uncurled even further off the other side of the dock... man, could these suckers ever cast with the frog's weight... double our previous 10ft casts easily. I'm sure we could have gotten 30 feet if had that much line on the spool :lol:

Bam!! Bobber down!! My first 3lb largemouth just couldn't argue with this line... finesse - pure finesse - no drag at all... 20lb test and half as thick as a clothesline... -crank em in, tie it on the stringer... Boom!! Big blow-up to the right and my bro was furiously cranking the K-Mart reel with all the muster a 10year old could give. This went back and forth a few times, and eventually we didn't even notice the Muskol immune mosquitos which by now had sucked several pints of blood from each of us.

By the time the old Sea-horse came thumping in from the dark, we had a stringer-full of bass from 3-4lbs, and had used our last frog. As the old Starcraft pulled up to the dock, we asked Dad how they made out. "A few bass" as they proudly showed us (2) 3lb bass on a stringer attached to the oarlock, being towed unceremoniously alongside the boat.

With that, we raised our stringer up, every hook having a 3-4lb bass, we likely had about 10 on there... and proudly told them that we were glad they had taken all our worms with them, because...

"The frogs worked better!!"

That was the one time I can remember my dad being unable to hide his emotions... first a bit of a scowl which quickly turned into a broad smile... "Good job boys, let's get these fish home to mother"

I still hear his voice and see that smile each time I pull in a decent fish.
I will never forget that evening... :D
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Well I have a lot of those special moments but the there are 3 that really stick out in my mind.

First one was 20 years ago when I was out fishing with my dad on fathers day in our canoe. We went up and down the Madawaska all day and must have caught 75 - 100 bass. He told that storie to everyone he knew, it was quite a special day for us out on the water.

The second one is when my oldest Jasmine's first fish when she was 2 and half. We went out fishing together the week after my youngest was born.

The third one is from this summer when my youngest Maya caught her first fish our on the river. We were just out and about, they had fun playing in the boat and eating snacks. Lines were out just for fun.

She was so proud.

Picture is corrupted... I'll post later
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Like most I immediately thought about fishing with my Dad back in the day in the old "Indian head" canoe, you know the one with the foam around the edge. My Dad had jerry-rigged something where he could put a 9.9 on the back of that thing. When I think of it now it must have been quite the site to see us tooling around the lake me in the front of the canoe 4 feet from the water Dad in the back an inch from swamping the canoe.

But the day that sticks out for me still gets brought up over and over as it involved a few members of my family as well as a few neighbours. A few of the fathers on the street decided to all take the kids fishing at the same local lake. So early the morning of my Dad wakes me up to russle up some worms, I had done this before. He would wake up early turn on the sprinklers and 20 minutes later wake me up and get me out there with a flashlight to pick worms. Well I'm hard at it and Dad is loading the car with our gear and the neighbour kids come out and ask what I'm doing. "Getting worms for the derby", I say. Right away they go grab a flashlight and the two of them are on the hunt. A couple minutes later they yell over, "hey we can't find any worms". Before I can say anything my Dad yells over "did you put out any cheese?". I'm like what? But the look he shoots me says it all "say nothing" Within minutes they have their front lawn covered in Kraft singles and shredded cheese. Just as were pulling out of the driveway their Dad comes flying out of the front door takes one look at the lawn and starts cursing and shaking his fist at my Dad and we both burst into laughter, more than that really we were crying we were laughing so hard. We saw them on the water later that day and they didn't have a single fish. The old man won biggest fish and I took down most fish (which I managed my Dad says by catching the same sunfish off the dock 50 times) either way it was one of the best days I spent with my Dad period let alone fishing and I was reminded of it again this year when I had to unhook the seemingly unending amount of sunfish my girls were catching from the end of the dock at the cottage this year, which my daughter still talks about as the day she showed me how to "really" fish.

We still call the neighbour "Dewy" on account of the dew worms of course.

Good times.

Thanks for this and all who shared a story.

BigC
muskie_magnet
Participant
Participant

Post by muskie_magnet »

I have to agree with
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Well my best fishing memories would have to be the '' Boys'' may 24 week end tradition that me, my old man and brother have been doing for 4 years now. We usually leave friday morning hit the woods for camping all natural or latelly we've been renting cabins and return monday afternoon. All the trips have been succsefull in every aspect good times, great fishing and alot of laughts. We usualy target walleye and pike and let me tell you that never we have been skunked in these trips. But to be quite honest, fishing is only a detail when the three of us are relaxing out in the country together. Well those are my precious memories or should I say precious moments out fishing. Can't wait for the 2011 reunion ! :D
|Dore|
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I have hundreds of favoirte moments, but one that springs to mind was a day lobster fishing here on the East Coast and RJ was visiting and joined the crew. My brother inlaw put him on the banding station and noticed he was moving a bit slow putting the bands on their claws. He jumped down, grabbed a lobster and put his fingers in the cutter claw and said.."Don't be shy, they can't hurt ya. See".

So RJ relaxed abit and started working at a quicker pace. Then I heard this "wheeeeeez" sound and looked up to see RJ's face screwed up tight and and a lobster baring down on his thumb with the crusher claw! :lol: :lol:

Man that was funny...and what a great day.

Of course....this favorite memory was quickly followed up with my least favorite memory when jackson rounded a corner and showed up for dinner that night. :lol:

Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

That second picture of you Jackson!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ....I like it!! :lol: ....hungry and stripping down for lunch!!!....great stuff!! :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Markus wrote:

Photo Shopped :idea:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Bass Addict wrote:Photo Shopped :idea:
Something about this statement is far worse and more disturbing than the original picture... I think the imagery this statement evokes for me is this:

Paul... saving that image to his desk top... opening it in MS Paint or some image editor... and Zooming in on it...

... dare I ask; Why??!!!

Why are you zooming in on a picture of a half naked RJ?!!!!!!! Run out of TroutnMuskieHunter pictures from Daner?

Craig
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

One day you fellas can have a body like that...... :lol: :lol:

RJ

P.S. Further proof I'd do anything for a laugh....I didn't even eat the things... :lol:
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

This is a easy one... fishing with RJ when he caught the record Gar, RJ was working a big fish we were back to back on the bow of his boat when i spotted a large gar, Rob... there is a big fish coming to your side of the boat... I'm working a good one... No Rob this is a big one... looks like the one we lost a few years back,RJ Turned his head, seen the fish swimming away from him, he took a cast.. the fish looked at his bait but kept swimming, the next cast was on the money, the fish grabbed his bait.. and the fight was on,.After what seemed to be an eternity the fish was in the net.... the look on Robs face when he seen how big the fish was is something I'll never forget.

lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

SeaMonster wrote:
- Hitting my first salmon run when no one was around. Get to a pool as light is breaking and my first cast nabs a monster and it takes off. That was my first time using a fly rod... and I catch a 30 lbs salmon.

With your permission, I'm going to use this when I take my kids fishing! :)

E
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

No Problem. I'll even waive my $9.99 royalty....