The Fall of Big Eyes & Mouthy Bass.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

The Fall of Big Eyes & Mouthy Bass.

Post by Moosebunk »

If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

How true is that..?

The fall fishing photos saved in the home archives are beginning to stretch the vault walls so, I figured it was in best interest to spend a little time investing in a less wordy but full picture report.

This season has been really cool... not the weather so much, that has been kinda hot, not the wind either as it's been constantly a blow, but the fishing for me has been cool. A real test at times but good fun learning new things.

September ti'll now has been a consistent mix of attempts for local bass, big river muskie and Quinte walleye. The report on the three would give a mixed grading of a D- for muskies, B for bass and an A+ on BOQ eyes. The greater motivators have been a determination to learn new tricks on new waters, and at the same time share experiences with friends. What can be a detriment is being indecisive with the number of options, not having enough midweek partners to turn too, and still not having a solid work schedule to plan things out how I would like.

There won't be any muskies in the report. Five trips out to three different bodies of water; including a totally new area to me, saw not a fish come over the gunnel. I finished the year for them in early October, decidedly wanting to make the switch at that time to BOQ walleye. Next years plans will likely see me trying harder to improve on the fishing during the summer months which there was more success this year.

The bass have been on and off, most days on though. Where largies have failed there have been a couple days when smallies and eyes have saved the day. Other times out, the largies have been on fire. A best afternoon in early November had 60+ largies hooked and a dozen or so pike, while an early October outing proved outstanding for bigger smallies. Seven times out for bass this fall, only twice were the fish unco-operative.

Lastly BOQ. First outing in early October with my father was a bust. The bigger fish hadn't really come home yet but I was just chomping at the bit to test the new gear and myself. During the next four weeks I ended up sharing two days in TonyB's boat with him and Aaron, and then later during two more separate outings I shared time out once with Grant and once with an old friend visiting from Yellowknife. At BOQ excluding day one, the four days on the water have totalled a pretty solid 56/64 with 29 fish being walleye. And of course the word is out about Aaron's remarkable record-breaking sheepie which I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing with him and Tony. My first year really taking a crack at this has been pretty fun and rewarding.

The coming weeks should hopefully allow for some more walleye, steelhead and maybe a few more bass and/or inland trout. As I sit here typing this though, a hizelluva north-wind blows to remind me that the fall is near end. On the shelf at home here the ice gear sits ready, the ATV and Bravo have been prepped, and thoughts of winter trips begin to get planned.

Onto some pics...

THE BASS.

THE WALLEYE.

FRIENDS WITH FISH.

Tony.

Aaron. (with his lucky c**k and enormous sheephead)

Grant aka Slop.

Dan. (with new PB walleyes and a first sheephead)

A FEW SCENIC SHOTS.

So there. That empties the vault for the fall. Not a usual story type report cause I suffer from S.A.D. and am exhausted of late from playing too hard. Those heading out to try their luck for the big eyes, good luck to yas. Fish safe and stay warm, careful on the new ice to come.

Bunk.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Some very nice fish you got there Bunk :) . This report is just as good as your others man :D .
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Great report, fish and pictures as always. Very nice work by all involved. That sheephead makes me laugh. :lol:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Nice collection Moose!

The Walleye shots are gorgeous... the sheep head kind of scare me.

Love you picture heavy posts, but my download cap does not! :wink:

Craig
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Always great Drew. Nice collection of pics. Still can't get over the size of Aaron's tank sheepie :shock:
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Amazing shots and like Crpince, the sheepshead scares me.
Is that shot with a wide angle lens? Either way it is huge.

Pig largie as well—your reports are always top notch and a great read.
Thanks for that

Sean
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great report !
|Dore|
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Always a blast to get out with ya Bunk! For the life of me, I don't understand why people think you were spoiled up north....I think this series of photos tells a much more accurate story :D
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Moose....Thanks again for a great read and fantastic pics......I will enjoy them a second time tonight with a cold one!!!!
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Great report ! Thanks :lol:
|Dore|
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Nice collection of hogs Bunk!!! Very nice.

Manny
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

WOW! Best report Ive read in a while! Like I always say, I love your reports! By the way, did you get any weights or measurements on that BEASTIE sheephead your buddy got? That was one huge fish! Nice bass and fat walleye as well! Great job!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Lovin' the pics like always, bud! Ottawa and the surrounding lakes look good on you.... :lol:

Thanks for bringing us along on the journey...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

As always, worth the read, and then some.

Huge walleye, fat bass, scary sheephead, and a mooneye too I think!

Even if you did get a D- for musky.... there had to be 1 decent photo in the vault? :)

E
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Super pics Bunk. You've had a great autumn :)