The Fall of Big Eyes & Mouthy Bass.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Wow, I have never seen Sheepshead that big before in my life :shock: :shock: 8) :) ! Those fish look like they're bread near a nuclear reactor of some kind. The other gamier fish are great, but I most enjoyed the drum and the huge White Bass. Pretty cool! How do those sheepies fight by the way?

tight lines and good luck on the hard water

ratsotail
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

Great report! Made me salivate, I feel emasculated!! it`s been a slow year for me.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Oustanding report as always Bunk and great photography as well.

Ratso, those sheepies fight like none other.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Mouth's hanging open again in awe. Feeling a little envy, too!

The sheepshead-on-steroids: are you serious??!!

Thanks for putting up all those great pictures, Moosebunk.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Thanks for the replies Hawkers.

Ty... that big sheepie of Aaron's weighed in at 27.5 pounds. The official record fish is 21.53. 6lb difference, both great fish, but Aaron's was released so the lighter fish stays in the books.

Jeff... those sheepie fight better than the eyes as you'd expect with them being a broader fish and walleye being a wussy fish specie. They bulldawg pretty good but if they're not hooked with just the back treble in the mouth, other hooks in or hook placements seem to make this fish roll on the surface in time. Then they're a pain to drag in.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Moosebunk wrote:Thanks for the replies Hawkers.

Ty... that big sheepie of Aaron's weighed in at 27.5 pounds. The official record fish is 21.53. 6lb difference, both great fish, but Aaron's was released so the lighter fish stays in the books.

Jeff... those sheepie fight better than the eyes as you'd expect with them being a broader fish and walleye being a wussy fish specie. They bulldawg pretty good but if they're not hooked with just the back treble in the mouth, other hooks in or hook placements seem to make this fish roll on the surface in time. Then they're a pain to drag in.
Bunk,

I was fishing the southern breakwalls of Lake Erie many years ago for smallies and now and again the big sheepshead would cruise the walls and suck in your crawfish. I can remember using a medium rod with 8 lb test, and, for the first time ever, I had all the line peeled off my reel and could do nothing about it :oops: 8) :) . Call them an undesireable species or whatever, but I think those fish pictured in your report are an incredible catch and worthy of recognition. Cool stuff!

tight lines, eh

Jeff
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Every once and a while as I search the earth for the next ultimate fish filled lake I realize just how good we have it right here in our own back yard.
I see this past summer and now this fall you have that figured out :wink: .

Awesome fall report Bunk!
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

Moosebunk wrote:Thanks for the replies Hawkers.

Thanks for answering me! Man,that is giant! That is like a carp that fish! Nice job all around!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"