Why Quinny

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wired leader
Participant
Participant

Post by Wired leader »

Personally, I've almost fished there a few times, but never made it out...I know :(
It is the most well known, I'll give it that. I'll let those that fish it decide if is the best.
I remember though years ago, I brought a buddy to Gary Lowrey's to have a walleye that he caught on the BOQ mounted.....it was about 10 pounds.
Gary smiled and said that it was a nice fish, but then proceeded to pull an even bigger one out of his freezer to show us. It weighed 13-1/4 lbs and he gave us 3 guesses each as to where it was caught. after our guesses, he told us it came from Dow's Lake. :shock:
I think that just goes to show that when that line hits the water, you just never know.
I have caught some biggies locally, but never anything that topped 10 pounds. If I recall correctly, my biggest(about 9 lbs) came from the rideau, below Black Rapids, but that was a few years ago.

... I found this thread on the BOQ....looks like some happy FH faces there
Dave
Thrasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Thrasher »

i too have to say that for BIG walleye, there's nowhere in ontario that can compare. The ottawa!? ya right!, you may get numbers, but not big ones, same for lake of the woods etc etc. Yes every now and again you nail a pig in these other waters, but by no means would it be common. Heading to BOQ tomorrow!!! Bring it!!

Seanshuntin..... no replies?
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

30 years ago or more i moved here for the walleye fishing,ive not ever seen another area that produces such monster eyes.

ive caught a few ate a few and released a few and still it produces,mind you not like the 90s,where the yearly population was 1.2 million eyes sad ta say now they say 400.000.

last 2 winters id have ta say the bay is on another come back,ive not seen the numbers of 2-4lbers like it was in years..........

lets let those HAWGS go unless your mounting it.

oh ya there on the bite pretty good as we speak
Thrasher
Participant
Participant

Post by Thrasher »

Overall it was slow for us, but we weren't doing what we needed to... Once we found where they were, and what they wanted, we managed 4 fish in 1.5 hours! it was busy, 6 lines, 4+ foot waves, boards going off.... Just what we wnated. We found the active fish to be deep, when fishing shallow, all we got was pike! Bigest Walleye, was 11lbs, a couple around 9 and a 5 lber. Biggest pike was 14 lbs. It was awefully blowy out there, but had a great time. i know everyone says it, but by the end of it, all we had on were purple TD 11's and Reef runners. Get out there, soak baits of every colour and depth you can think of, switch them often, and watch the finder. If you're marking fish, and they aren't biting, move to a new area, depth etc, eventually, you'll hit the majic presentation, we did, only thing was, it was the mornig we were leaving!! Now's the time to go... get out there, wish I lived closer...

Thrasher

Sorry, no pics
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Because Quintie has simply one of the best walleye fisherie in north america.
|Dore|
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Quinte is popular because of the large walleye you can catch in one day of angling. This past Friday I had a 9 year-old angler in my boat that proceeded in catching 4 trophy walleye that weighed a total of 48 pounds. That 12 pound average is almost impossible on any other body of water.

His personal best on this day was a 14 pound 6 ounce walleye that was 32 1/4 inches long and a 21 1/2 inch girth - not bad for a 9 year-old.

-s
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

What a memory that 9 year old will have of Quinte!!!....awesome Sheldon!!
Dirtus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dirtus »

thats a hog sheldon................wow :shock:

Andy