First & second attempt at fall Wendover walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

First & second attempt at fall Wendover walleye

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Got out with FowlDawg (Chuck) tonight for some Wendover walleye.

To be honest, it was a mostly disapponting night for a couple reasons. First, we got no walleye, only saugers, and not a whole lot of them at that. Also, the boat anchored 100 feet from ours was pulling them out like their diet consisted of only sauger and they needed to stock their winter reserves..oh and we were using the exact same set-up!
The one highlight was watching Chuck catch a couple keepers on the "Rainbow Rig" which was more or less a bastardized pickerel rig with worm harnesses, jig+grubs and other various doo-dads instead of snell hooks.

I'm heading back to the same area tomorrow. Might go into full exploration mode, or might just make little adjustments in hopes of closing in on the pattern. Stay tuned.

****Day two***
Exploration didn't pay off, got one little sauger. We ended trying a spot closer to the docks and actually got a few smaller walleye. Baz brought home 4 dorés for dinner. Heading back again tomorrow for the last time before ice-up.
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: First attempt at fall Wendover walleye

Post by highlander »

fisherguy33 wrote: a bastardized pickerel rig with worm harnesses, jig+grubs and other various doo-dads instead of snell hooks
Maybe we can name this the rockland special?
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Rainbow Rig

Post by FowlDawg »

I'm pretty ''proud'' of that Rainbow Rig it's full fledged parade material!

Anyways Thanks a whole bunch Yannick I had a blast! With my luck lately, I was starting to think that pickerel in the Ottawa was a myth or the kind of fisherman story that only happens when the camera gets forgotten at home. We managed alright.

I'll head out on my own tomorrow and see if the knowledge made it through or if all your good tips were given in vain. Maybe if it's tough for you guys tomorrow you could come see me to fill in your limits ''that's the dream''

Chuck,
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Any catfish this time? :-) That was a fun bataille.

E
the walleye hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by the walleye hunter »

Simple, if you're only catching Saugers in the spots you are fishing is because you are fishing too deep.
Walleye are a lazy fish, they'll stay away from the faster current, however Sauger will be stacked in moving waters.

Go up the drop offs a bit, and you should see a difference. Or find the points were the current breaks off.

Good luck.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

yup, we were just talking about that on the boat last night, how the guys fishing the bays don't have to worry about the current, but finding walleye in the river can be a pain because the current is always changing. I'll keep that in mind tonight Gil. Thanks.

Yannick