Rod and Reel assistance?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rod and Reel assistance?

Post by PerchPredator »

I've been looking to replace my entry level Shimano spinning rod and reel combo. I bought it this year when I first got back into fishing and, although it still catches fish, I think it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking for something nice and light that wont super break my bank.
A friend of mine gave me a new rod he got as a gift (he's not into fishing at all :shock: ) and I'm wondering what to couple it with.

I'm not sure if it's the greatest rod out there, but it's a start. It's a medium action Shakespeare Outcast.

If it's even worth popping a new reel onto this rod I'd love to hear some suggestions. The lighter the better.

Cheers,

PP
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

PerchPredator
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Any extra rod/reel combo is always a good idea.
I always travel with two or more just in case.
If you break a rod on a trip, then your fishing won't be over at least.(I've done it a few times).
If the rod you got is a medium action- medium length, I'd throw on a medium sized reel of a decent brand like a Shimano or Quantum or Abu Garcia.
All make good spinning reels that you can buy at stores like Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, etc. and they won't cost you a fortune either.
May as well pick up some line there while you're at it.
Good Luck.
~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for.

I have a Medium action rod 6'6" Rapala canadiantire whatever rod I use for specks. I had a Shimano FX reel for a few years, but I replaced it with a mid-grade Quantum. I also have an ultralite setup as well I use. Easy to pack, and drag wherever. I tend to beat up my trout equipment a lot so I don't spend huge dollars on it.

I find my Medium action rod too light for Bass or Pike though. Not enough backbone.

No matter what reel you wind up picking, one basic quick test I'll use on an inexpensive spinning reel to see if it's any use using, it to pull the drag on a usable setting and see how smooth it is. If it feels uneven at all.. no good. Also, that there is no backlash when you stop reeling.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

I would go with a Pflueger President or if you can spare the extra cash a Pflueger President XT, these reels are a great value IMO.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp10/fi ... _reels.pdf

It might help to let us know the max you want to spend.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

It might be a good idea to venture out to Paddletales this Saturday. We are holding our annual customer appreciation day. More information can be had at the Paddletales forum on this site. There will be prostaffers there from a number of companies to answer any qeuries you may have.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I would take Ed's advice and stop by on Saturday but if crowds are not your thing he's open all week. I believe he even had a decent bargin bin going on last time I was there. Paddletails is were your fishing questions get answered by fishing folks! Just my opinion.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

toobinator wrote:It might be a good idea to venture out to Paddletales this Saturday. We are holding our annual customer appreciation day. More information can be had at the Paddletales forum on this site. There will be prostaffers there from a number of companies to answer any qeuries you may have.

Ed
Also very good advice. Plus free fried Chicken, hard to beat that.

If you have never been to Paddletales before and your just getting back into fishing you have to go Saturday......you will not regret it.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Biggs: No chicken this time. Deep fried turkey. Fried chicken in February.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
PerchPredator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PerchPredator »

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll certainly make my way to Paddeltales and a few other places on Saturday. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers,

PP
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

PerchPredator
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

toobinator wrote:Biggs: No chicken this time. Deep fried turkey. Fried chicken in February.
My bad, IMO thats even better!
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

geeez....i really gotta get out there for one of these poultry fests :P
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

rod and reel combo

Post by Joey Rat »

Ed you need to postphone one week, either that or someone needs to explain to my wife why I'm not going away with her this weekend. Just to be clear, it's family obligations.

Maybe I could convince her to stop on the way out of town on Thursday but then again maybe not, I don't need her to know about my favourite tackle shop.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!