Muskie Rod and Reel advice...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Muskie Rod and Reel advice...

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I'm a newbie to the muskie world and I need some opinions on the rod and reel combo I'm looking to buy.

Abu C3-5501 ( I know not the standard 6501, but i've heard just as nice and all i'll need...for now)

Berkley Lightning Rod, 6'6" 1 piece MH

PowerPro line, 50lb test

What do you all think of a combo like this? I don't want to spend too much but i don't want to go ghetto either. I htink that this may be a good starting point where I could upgrade a year or two down the road.

Any thoughts???

Post by Guest »

If it is one word of advice I can offer you when purchasing muskie gear, it is not to be stingy on your equipment. Buy good stuff to start, and believe me, you'll be thankful you did later on. If you are serious about going after big fish, plan on spending some money. :)

I use Abu 6500 C3 reels for casting. They are great. Line them with 80pd PowerPro or TUF Line. 50pd is okay, but I'd suggest going to 80pd minimum. I'm using 100pd this year. I used 50pd a while ago, and have lost a lot of lures when trolling, or when casting heavy baits and you get a birds-nest. It's strong, but not strong enough. Make sure you use backing on those reels too to avoid slipping. Last thing you need is a 40pd fish on your line, and your reel starts slipping. :) For the rod, stay clear of the Lightening Rods. I had one snap in half early this year, and I'll never use another one. If you want an economic rod, get a Shimano Compre CPC-70XH 7ft. Great rods for the price. I just bought one, and love it. Good for casting and trolling. If you want to spend a little more, go for a St. Croix or G-Loomis.

If you are doing any trolling, you may want a heavier reel. Go to the Abu 7000 series if you are serious about trolling for big girls. If you want to spend some money, you can get the Shimano Calcutta too. Sweet reels, but really expensive.

Hope this helps.

HW
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Simmer »

started huntin muskie last year and picked up the same rod, but got the abu (i think 6500). The reel has the fish alarm clicker in it which is great because we troll alot with the rods in holders. I would suggest, if you troll alot, gettin a reel that has that fish alarm clicker, (woke us up more than a few times and gets the blood going too!)

Post by Guest »

The Abu 6500 and 7000 series all have the clicker. So do most other muskie calibre baitcasters.

HW

Post by Guest »

Make sure you use decent leaders as well. I recommend getting some from Stringease: http://www.stringease.com. The jerk bait leaders are great for casting. Never had a problem with them.

If you are trolling, get some longer leaders (18"+). There are lots out there.

HW
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Beginner Muskie Rods

Post by Seaweed »

Hey you want an affordable solution to a muskie rod check out Crappy Tire. I bought two monster spincast outfits for sixty bucks each and they have done the trick for me for the past three years. Yes I will have to upgrade to some better equipment but you know what I haven't had to put out that cash yet and it has gone into buying lures and a nice muskie tackle box for those expensive lures.

I guess if you want to put out like two to three hundred for your rod and reel then go for it but it can be optional and who knows if you are going to have the patience required to become a true muskie maniac. I would recommend the cheaper route until you know for sure if you are going to stay hooked to looking for monsters or return to looking for minnows.

Just my 2 cents.

Post by Guest »

I agree with Seaweed that if you aren't in this for the long run, don't bother wasting money on expensive gear. However, as a muskie fanatic, and a strong advocate for muskie conservation, I have to suggest that anyone who is fishing for muskie properly equip themselves keeping the best interest of the fish in mind. Using inadequate equipment increases the risk that the fish will be harmed in some way, shape or form. If your line, reel, or rod break, leaving a hook in that fishes' mouth, there is a chance the fish could die. Try to use equipment that will minimize that possibility. The key is to minimize the stress on the fish both during the fight, and during the release. Heavier equipment allows you to control the fish better, and minimize the stress inflicted during the fight.

Before you even think of fishing for these creatures, make sure you have the proper release tools. There are a few essentials:

1) Long needle-nosed pliers. The longer the better. Tie them to the boat so you don't have incidents like crazyhook and myself where they end up in the drink.
2) Knippex pliers to cut out any deeply embedded hooks. Don't waste time trying to get out a hook that is in really deep. Cut it, and remove the hook shard from the fish afterwards when you have better control. Minimize the release time as much as possible
3) Jaw spreaders. If the muskie gets a hook embedded in its throat, make sure you have something to keep its mouth open to allow you to remove it.
4) Net/cradle. You should have a net/cradle to act as a "pen" while you release the fish. You can hand land them, but you risk hooking yourself more with this method, especially with big fish. Get something big enough to handle a 50" fish to be safe. Frabill and Beckman make nets perfect for this.

Don't go out looking for these monsters without preparing yourself.

Just my 3 cents. :)

HW
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Awsome reply HW :D You have nailed that one on the head for sure,though if I might add a story I told H.W A partner in the boat when targeting big girls is almost key aswell :!: Like what happend to Seaweed a partner can help you not only increase the survival rate of the fish by landing and properly releasing the fish,but also if the painful occasion arises and a 5/0 trebble gets lodged into a part of your body your partner can apply first aid or snip the hook to remove the barb or get you back to shore incase of a possible emergency.These fish like all other fish are a treasure but can be deceptive on their mood and if the fish is craddeled into the boat for hook removal and a quick pic may mean the difference between a great day or a painful one by thrashing around possibly damaging the fish and or your self :shock:

Just my 4 cents haha H.W im 1 penny up on ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

T.L F.F
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskie Fishing Equipment

Post by Seaweed »

Your input is valid and true gentlemen. But all that being said I can ensure you that every muskie I have caught has been released and lived and it had very little to do with wether my equipment was worth over or under a couple of hundred dollars. It had more to do with the fact that I had done my homework on fishing for big toothers and also from instruction from other conservation minded anglers. I got hooked a couple of weeks back... true. But I have angled for well over a decade for muskie and maybe I was due to get pricked .... ask any muskie angler and they will tell you that all it takes is that moment of overconfidence or inattention and whamo you are hooked up. I made it in and had a buddy meet me at the dock and got to the clinic. The fish was released and still swims and all of this happened with equipment that if compared with what a lot of my buddies use to angle for muskies... well put it this way ... there is a reason that I have as many different baits as I do. :lol:
glenn
Participant
Participant

Muskie equipment

Post by glenn »

Hey guys, I'll throw my now 5 cents in this conversation. The trend in Muskie fishing is now heavier and I mean heavier braided line line. Three, four years ago the average angler used 40 to 50 lb braid, smaller reels could accomodate this diameter of line. To-day 60 no, 80 and 100 and 120 lb braid are being used. Thus the reel size has increased to back in the old days that accomodated much thicker diameter nylon or dacron. As said the ABU 7000's are on the come back as well as the Shimano Calcutta 700's these reels have enough capacity to handle the shock and capacity of these new lines. Now the rod keeping in mind the line weights more important is the lure weights, if your going to throw musky sized baits 2-3-4 ounce baits most rods on the market will not handle this and will break sooner than later. It does not matter what you pay for the rod if it can't handle the line and lure recomendations then it could be a waste of your hard earned money and your time on the water. Check all of this when you decide on what you want to purchase. The sportsmanship in fighting these water beasts is to minimize the time of the fight and reduce the latic acid build-up in the fish. Prolonged fights are a great danger to these fish, you may release them thinking you have done the right thing but sadly the fish swims away only to die. That's why the increased line weights an longer, heavier rods are being used. Hope this helps Glenn
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

... the only one problem in this situation with a Cdn. Tire combo is that MuskieWannabe needs a left-handed reel. I am also alefty and have yet to see an inexpensive combo in left. However, I did make that recommendation to a friend who is a righty.

Has anyone evey seen an inexpensive left-combo before?

Cheers,

Scott
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

Hey, lefties. I believe Abu Garcia makes a strong, reasonably priced round baitcaster that comes in a lefty model. Check LeBaron's catalogue. There's also a good number of 7-foot H or MH rods for well under $100, so you could be out the door for under $200.
I don't fish muskies regularly, so my rig is pretty inexpensive. It's a big, widespool Quantum Iron reel, spooled with 30-lb mono, on a 7-foot MH Fenwick Eagle rod. Total cost, about $110. This rig will handle the big muskie plugs and spinners and it has landed a couple of muskies, a few 10-15 pound pike, and a heck of a lot of branches, logs and stumps. The reel is a pretty smooth caster and cranker, and still works fine after several years of fairly vigorous use. It may not be the best, but it's good enough for me.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My 2 cents is spend the money.... :? ...you defintely get what you pay for in fishing gear...we all know that...

I've had a Shimano Corsair rebuilt 3 times because it's exploded on a hookset... :( ....$100 reel...

Buy an Abu...5500 or 6500....you'll never regret it...and trust me...you won't stop fishing for muskies....noone ever does!

RJ
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

It looks as though I'm going to go for an Abu 6500. What size rod do you think? 6'2" 1 piece?
7' 1piece?
Longer?
What about 2 piece rods? I've heard I should aim at a 1 piece?
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

I'll add my $.02 to the list.

First, one piece rods, seven feet and up (unless you a small in stature). A longer rod will provide better control of the fish.

The point made about bait size is right on the money. If you are going to be throwing heavy baits, you need a combo that can handle them.

However, you can be a "Lungehunter" with a medium priced set of tools.

As the name states, I fish the Rideau alot, and I still use a 5500C and seven foot medium heavey Berkley rod for some applications. (twich baits, medium bucktails, etc.). I've caught lots of fish on this combo and never had a problem. Of course 50 inchers in the Rideau are not that common :roll: .

I do have more expensive set ups (St Croix - Shimano) for larger lures and larger waters (Ottawa), but like you plan to, I grew into them over time.

I think one of the keys you should be thinking about would be line test. At least 80 lb Power Pro or the like. That will prevent break-offs and allow you to use all the "release tools" you will be aquiring :lol: .

If you are serious about chasing these beasts (and it will become an addiction) buy the best gear you can afford. It will work better and last longer and that can only increase you enjoyment of the hunt.

Finally, check the want ads regularly as some of the pros in the area replace their gear regularly and you can get a good deal on a quality set up.

Welcome to the muskie addiction and happy lungehunting.