Fun with Friends ... and a nickel taboot

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fun with Friends ... and a nickel taboot

Post by steve-hamilton »

Each year we are invited up to stay with our good friends Rob and Kim....

It started a few years ago with the intent to learn how to bass fish...not much bass fishing in southern ontario - unless you count the roaches (smallies). Sure they are fun, but easy to catch, and get like footballs....

My love is centered around the greenbacks.

What I learned from Ed (paddletales), Steve (Gambler Steve), RJ, Kim (birdee), Ian, Bradford, Phil, Tony and others cannot be achieved by spending 100 hours on the water down here.

In the last two years my large mouth success has gone up dramatically. I credit much of the success from what I learn on my "eastern ontario" bass trips....combined with a great southern ontario friend...salmon. :D

We fished our typical set of lakes - I had my butt handed to me on muskrat by Paya and Bradford! Paya is a machine!!!!

However, on our 3rd day we went down and fished one of the kingston local lakes....i love these lakes. Dog has a special place in my heart...unfortunately it also is riddled with blue green algae, tournaments, and heavy pressure....so it was time to explore.

We hit another small lake in the chain of lakes. The water temps were four degrees WARMER than the other lakes we fished in the area. And as such, we found the largies were in a happy mood to take baits.

We started catching on different stuff, until the ole stand-by started to produce the most, and biggest - the senko. I wish i could say it was the beavers, the jigs, or the frogs that did the damage....but nope, it was the senko's.

Many 3lbs fish came across my gunnels from morning to afternoon. Mid afternoon I was lucky to come across my biggest of the couple days - a 4lbs 9 ounce pig.

However, like so many times this year, it was my father who came in with the biggest of the day. His 3rd this year, and fifth in two years, a solid Eastern Ontario Nickel. (before last year, neither of us had seen a nickel, now we are at 7 in two years - like RJ said, we had to do some refining, then it was game on!)

It was a blast watching RJ and Phil using their "TV Hooksets"....I was able to snap this shot of them doing what they do best...flip, pitch, catch.

and their results...typical of the day's bass.

Here's a shot of the typical bass for our day...and for the other boats as well!

However, we did manage two very good fish (at least for us).

The first was caught just beside a floating mat....on a "rainbow trout" senko...no, not pink, i swear. :oops: I can't get enough of these big bass...Big smiles always!

Our biggest largie of the day occured just as a major thunderstorm loomed in the distance...as you can see by the dark clouds over dad's shoulder. The tanks you guys have out east are incredible.....Dad's third nickel of 2010. (well, 2nd, i cant count his six'er a nickel....so two nick's and a six...freaking fathers I tellz ya!)

Now, we are not big on double header shots, as we release our fish after photo's...but as I was weighing dad's biggie, he casted out, and i crap you not, caught a solid 3.5'er....so we did a double header shot....man a nickel looks big beside a 3'er....

Dad and I have one big largie trip left for thanksgiving weekend...the haliburtons....and we are pumped....but then its time for smallies, smallies, and more smallies.....maybe this year we will get our 7lbs smallie...but i'd trade it for a 6lbs largie...

Thanks for viewing....and thanks RJ and Birdee....as dad says, its our favourite trip of the year!
Last edited by steve-hamilton on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

beutiful bass there
what was the weight on that pig?
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Great report with some very nice pics. From the pics it looks like you had some decent weather as well.
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

nice bass! that is one beauty you got there!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Your father is a big bass magnet Steve. The two of you paired is something else. Unbelievable catches yet again. Your big bass reports have been nothing but a pleasure to read this season. Thanks for sharing and give those smallies some sore lips, I know I'll be in the next few weeks 8)
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Those are some awesome chunky fish! Very nice! :D
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fun with Friends ... and a nickel taboot

Post by ASK »

Thanks Steve for sharing your pictures and your awesome report.

I am seeing his muscles in this picture, Alot of a heavy weight

Good job man

ASK
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Beauty fish, Steve.....errr, Steve's Dad... :lol:

Gotta love this time of the year for big green bass - no other time like it!

Here's hoping you tie into that 6'er in the Haliburton's - one of the best places to find one...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Nice report fella`s.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

In keeping with Bl8ant's thread where his Mom opened up a double can of whuppin', so your Dad has kicked your can, Steve. :lol:

Your Dad is such a familiar face on here with his freakishly huge bass, he should have his own profile and join us! Or maybe let us in on his secrets to success, at least.

Loved your report, and the great pic's to boot. The background of your Dad's bass pic's sure supports a setting / habitat where big bass would be found. Droooool.....

Keep it up, guys: the trips together and the BIG BASS.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Looks like a great trip Steve! I never fish the lakes down that way...maybe I should :lol:

Great report
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

It was a great weekend indeed Steve! Having another 6 pounder in my boat was unreal for sure.

Tell your pops thanks for me too. I got a 4 pounder on his secret bait a couple days ago :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Good Pictures Steve,it was fun to sit and talk to you and your Dad(Glen) RJ and I had to laugh when you sent the picture of Your dads fish.... RJ commented, LUCKY THE WEIGH IN WAS AT 3 AND NOT 4... Glen just land a five. :lol: I'm heading down to EDS to look for a reel for the Rod I got off ...tell your buddy that it's found a permanent home :wink: Hope to see you later this Fall when I head down to PD for Browns

Phil
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fun with Friends ... and a nickel taboot

Post by DropShotr »

steve-hamilton wrote: It started a few years ago with the intent to learn how to bass fish...not much bass fishing in southern ontario - unless you count the roaches (smallies). Sure they are fun, but easy to catch, and get like footballs....
OK Steve............For a eastern Ontario smallie hunter, that hurts. :wink:

Just a super bunch of bass, lot's of laughs and good times I'm sure.

Always good to see the family reports. Memories for a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing,
DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

dropshot, your smallies are mean bruisers....i think they are in a class to their own...we caught some powerful smallies on taylor lake...

just down here, all we basically have are smallies, with small amounts of largies mixed in...you guys are lucky to have the amount of quality greenback fishing you do!