Thoughts on Walleye Harvesting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Nice fish...but mount it, really? That is a nice fish, and probably a spawner to.
landshark
Participant
Participant

Post by landshark »

Canmoore wrote:Nice fish...but mount it, really? That is a nice fish, and probably a spawner to.
if it meant alot to the guy he has the right to mount it, it was his first walleye ever. He paid his license fee, arent they all spawners? There is always one in the crowd :?
Image Image
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Canmoore wrote:Nice fish...but mount it, really? That is a nice fish, and probably a spawner to.
The original poster caught a legal fish. Kept it. I support his legal right to do so fully.

Leave it alone. Ask someone else to change the law... or change it yourself.

Do NOT whine at people practicing their right to harvest what they worked so hard for.

This type of post is what will keep people from posting pics.

Start your own post about limits and harvesting laws and leave peoples reports alone.

Craig
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Canmoore is a productive member who contributes both reports and opinions to this site. His opinion is valued and should be voiced. I might agree with his opinions, but it should not be in another members report.

This is why I have split his thoughts from the original report ( http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=41492 ) and started a thread for Canmoore to voice his opinion.

This is how this forum will maintain a respectful tone while still being able to voice ones opinion.

Thanks!

Craig
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I for one agree with Canmoore 100%. I mean you dont even have to kill fish anymore to get a good replica? Seems to me it comes down to 2 options when u get a monster....

- Take pics and release it. Possible catch it again this year or the next or the next or heck mabye even catch its offspring or your kids can catch its offspring...

- OR...Kill it, put it on your wall where only you and a few freinds will see it. It will degrade over time and get thrown out.

Is it just me? Or is this a no-brainer?
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

This is not a no-brainer, I caught a giant SMB when I was 14, my dad had it mounted for me that same year for my birthday.....The best present I have ever received. 21 years later it has fresh paint a few nicks cleaned up and looks like the day I pulled it out of the lake. Still smilin on my wall :D

I do like the looks of replica fish but why not just order one to a size you like.....that is my only beef with replica's .........oh and double the cost of skin mount.

1 giant walleye taken for mount won't decrease anyone else's catch #'s from a big water way.

Couldn't agree more with Craig, about people being gun shy with what their plans are for a trophy sized fish.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

harvest

Post by fishin mission »

Seems like when someone posts a report for everyone on here to enjoy (which is why this site exists) there is always some bone head that has some negative comment about the post. Either hes not holding the fish right or he's taking a fish which is totally in his rights as he paid his fee and is following the laws. I enjoy the post on here but refuse to post my own reports because the second someone would whine about it i would be banned by one of the mods. You people that whine all the time (and you know who you are) go get a life and do some fishing. the guy is fishing within his rights and as long as he is then if he wants to take his limit home then so be it. like above poster said you don't like the law then go change it. I like to eat walleye and when i catch them they go in my freezer or my frying pan and if you don't like it then too bloody bad

GET OVER IT
Last edited by fishin mission on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Good points!

But just to counter some of your points:
Mudpout wrote:...you dont even have to kill fish anymore to get a good replica?
Replicas are just that; Replicas. Not the real thing. There is a noticeable difference. There are obvious differences in workmanship depending on who you get to do it... but like the song says; "Aint nothing like the real thing baby..."
Mudpout wrote: - Take pics and release it. Possible catch it again this year or the next or the next or heck mabye even catch its offspring or your kids can catch its offspring...
Depending on the species of fish we are talking about, perhaps if it is worthy of mounting, it has already passed it's productive spawning years...
Mudpout wrote: OR...Kill it, put it on your wall where only you and a few freinds will see it. It will degrade over time and get thrown out.
Do you look at Moose hunting the same way? Racks on a wall in a den that only the owner and friends will likely see? Only to be thrown out eventually? Quite subjective... and pessimistic.

What about eating it? Soybeans don't quite do it for me.

Again... just counter points.

Craig
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I don't see a problem keeping a giant eye for the wall...

I do see a problem keeping giant fish to eat.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

The best present I have ever received. 21 years later

This is 21 years ago, we did not know then what we did now. I see black and white pics from eagle and lac seul with giant muskie after giant muskie strung and hung. Is this still the norm?

I luv eating walleye as much as the next guy Craig, don't get me wrong. When i guided i cooked shore lunch every day, but i sure as heck didnt chose 10 pounders to fry up. Genetics and heavy metals are 2 good reasons.

Fish dont get menopause...they keep breeding, but become less efficient. There was an article on this in in-fishermen, OOD or one of those...i'll try and find it.
Last edited by Mudpout on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Mud - I did not want to even touch the muskie side of it.......people don't like that conversation, it never goes well...Muskies area different fish.....they do not reproduce anywhere near the rate of Wally/bass. No more muskie talk.....Rules are now in place to conserve them, unless you get into a 54", throw it back. after 54" your choice.

It was a smb and knowing what I know today.....if I caught the same size or a family member caught one....It would be in Gary Lowery's freezer getting ready to mount again.

Fatlucas - Totally agree.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: harvest

Post by cprince »

fishin mission wrote:Seems like when someone posts a report for everyone on here to enjoy (which is why this site exists) there is always some bone head that has some negative comment about the post. Either hes not holding the fish right or he's taking a fish which is totally in his rights as he paid his fee and is following the laws. I enjoy the post on here but refuse to post my own reports because the second someone would whine about it i would be banned by one of the mods. You people that whine all the time (and you know who you are) go get a life and do some fishing. the guy is fishing within his rights and as long as he is then if he wants to take his limit home then so be it. like above poster said you don't like the law then go change it. I like to eat walleye and when i catch them they go in my freezer or my frying pan and if you don't like it then too bloody bad

GET OVER IT
Keep it clean and respectful please.

That being said... this is why I split these posts from the original report. As long as I am a mod here, I will do it every time.

Please feel free and post your report. If you catch it and eat it raw in the boat... then so be it. If you catch and release then thank you! If you catch it, give it inoculations and a message... then so be it too.

As long as it is legal, I will make certain that any criticisms will be in a separate post given the proper stage.

People have as much right to question as they do to support. It just needs to be done in the right context.

Craig
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My only issue with him keeping it is if he fishes with Landshark again he'll regret mounting such a small one..... :lol: ..that's a baby compared to what's coming soon down there........

RJ
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I'm not trying to be all holier then thou here. I'm just stating my opinion. I love fish and would prob have an easier time killing a dog then a big fish. Saying "it's my right!" " i paid my 18$ i can do what i want" etc is just refusing to deal with the issue. This is not an infinite supply we have, it is sustainable, as long as we do our part, and paying a measly 18$ for a license is not it. There have been so many fisheries decimated over the years when will we learn? This is not about one fish being kept and mounted...this is about the attitude towards one of our most precious resources.
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

It's your right to realease and to keep.
You guys don't eat any fish you catch, ever?
Not even a trout trip up north? Maybe why there aren't many trout reports....

You don't have to keep everything you catch... but eating a few fish is one of the pleasures of fishing. I release some, and keep some.

Admitedly that is a very nice eye, but I'd eat it if it was from a clean enough lake.

I don't keep anything that is caught close to home.