Thoughts on Walleye Harvesting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I usually try to stay away from these conversations, but we are talking about a ten pound walleye from Lake Ontario. You are hard pressed to catch anything under 26 inches out in the lake and almost every trip out you will land a 10 pound fish, many 28 inch fish will top the 10 pound mark if they are feeding heavy on bait. :wink:

So we need to keep this thread in the context of where the walleye was caught.

-s
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Mudpout wrote:" i paid my 18$ i can do what i want"
No one said that. We CAN do what we want within the rules if we have paid our $18.

So, what do you propose?

Zero harvest?
Raise the cost of fishing licenses?
How much would it take to "Do out part"?
How are you "Dealing with the issue"?

Have you identified the lakes and rivers that are in trouble?
Come up with a plan to help them?
Propose these solutions at the numerous MNR meetings and focus groups?

Tell us about your progress.

Criticizing people on an internet site, for living and operating within the rules is perhaps not way to be an instrument of meaningful change.

Craig
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I do not want to say anything negative about the guys catch, but 10 lbers where he caught it are fairly common, like somebody else mentioned he might regret his move if he catches a bigger one. If I ever was going to get a mount to put on my wall I would go for a skin mount though, so it was his choice and there is little that we can say about it.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

sheldon def has a good point there about where this 'eye was caught. I had never fished quinte till about 4-5 years ago( i grew up in quebec) but when i did fish it, i was told many a times by old timers on how it used to be.

Craig, mr. devils advocate..or is that me? I propose and practice selective harvest. My 2 fave foods are probably winter wallys and fresh brookies.

How am I dealing with the issue? First of all i release well over 99% of my catches, 2nd i try to educate. Try explaining to a guy who just spend 5g's on a fishing trip why he has to release that 40" pike, 3rd i have done volunteer work at hatcheries for stocking programs, caught wild salmon and took eggs and semen to hatchery and raised them.

Here's a lil example. I used to work at a private lake that was used for day fishing trips. Basically all meat hunters from the city. In my time there i watched stringer after stringer of giant bas and pike hauled out, and most of the time i even had to clean em for the clients. This is a pretty small lake mind you. By the time i quit working there the harvests were a fraction of what they were when i started, my persoanl catches and avg size were down. fast forward 8-10 years. This lake is now C&R, the fishing is better now then when i started.
Last edited by Mudpout on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

That part of the discussion I respect, there were 15 caught last Dec, from that location, nothing under 12 lbs......but if it's a PB for the man, or maybe he never gets out to that location again, maybe that's the size he's been waiting for, still his decision.

When you see that fish on the wall in his house, it won't matter where it came from, still a great fish.....
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Also don't forget this is his first walleye, as stated in the report.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Great point Fat- forgot to include that in my last post.....Not a bad first Walleye. :D
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Mudpout wrote:Craig, mr. devils advocate..or is that me?
:twisted:

LOL!
Mudpout wrote: How am I dealing with the issue? First of all i release well over 99% of my catches,
I would be willing to wager that the VAST majority of those who post on this site do the same.
Mudpout wrote:2nd i try to educate. Try explaining to a guy who just spend 5g's on a fishing trip why he has to release that 40" pike
Not something I would care to do. If you have ever had to educate someone on anything... I mean anything... the first thing that you would know NOT to do is alienate your "students". Saying that throwing back a fish of your life is a "No brainer" to someone who has obviously chosen not to... well... it is kind of alienating. You have now lost them as a student.
Mudpout wrote:3rd i have done volunteer work at hatcheries for stocking programs, caught wild salmon and took eggs and semen to hatchery and raised them.
Amazing!! Must be very rewarding to be able to give back in such a tangible way. You should post how you did all this in a separate post; how you chose and located the hatchery - What equipment is required to do this properly and what technique you used. I think it could serve to inspire other members to do the same.
Mudpout wrote:Here's a lil example. I used to work at a private lake that was used for day fishing trips. Basically all meat hunters from the city. In my time there i watched stringer after stringer of giant bas and pike hauled out, and most of the time i even had to clean em for the clients. This is a pretty small lake mind you. By the time i quit working there the harvests were a fraction of what they were when i started, my persoanl catches and avg size were down. fast forward 8-10 years. This lake is now C&R, the fishing is better now then when i started.
These anecdotal experiences are great indicators of what should and needs to be done. Keep in mind that you did say; "Private Lake". You are not talking about Lake Ontario or The Ottawa River... these bodies of water fall under provincial jurisdictions... so any change that is perceived to be made needs to be presented to the respective MNRs.

I suppose the one thing I don't see is how criticizing someone for practicing their rights within the law could be productive or be the impetus of any meaningful change that may or may not be needed.

Often, when these opinions and concerns get raised, they are misdirected and serve more as a divisive force. Properly formulated ideas can and will be better received when presented in a way that does not alienate those whose actions you seek to change or adjust. Finding a proper vehicle to present these ideas will garner more positive attention and win you more allies to your/our cause.

Synthesize your argument in an inclusive and non combative fashion and you will ultimately win the day and your cause.

Craig
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

As far as volunteer work. Go to any hatchery and volunteer your time, if you are not a liability they will be happy to have you along. I took an aquaculture course my first round at college( i beleive the same one the OP took) and hoped to find a job at a fish farm, there was no one hiring so i did volunteer work to try and get my foot in the door. I've worked with Brookies, rainbows, browns, chinook, walleye, muskie and tilapia. The trout and salmon rearing is all pretty similar but last 3 are quite unique!

Not something I would care to do. If you have ever had to educate someone on anything... I mean anything... the first thing that you would know NOT to do is alienate your "students". Saying that throwing back a fish of your life is a "No brainer" to someone who has obviously chosen not to... well... it is kind of alienating. You have now lost them as a student
There were slot regs where i guided, all 'eyes over 19" and all pike over 27" had to be released. I did not sugar coat these rules, as a conservationist i welcomed them and was happy to reinforce them even if it meant missing out on a tip, which was rarely the case.

I got a question for you Craig, you are still after your official nickle on nasa lake. You pull up and see guys leaving with their limit of 5+lbs bass, they are allowed right? Would this not get under your skin? They arent doing anything wrong though. I apologize if i come off as combative, it seems alot of my emails or posts wether on a forum or at work are percieved that way. What i meant by the no brainer part is that if you really stop and look at the situation, morally the answer should be clear. It comes down to kill or let live.
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I gather all hunters will stop hunting so we keep our sustainable resources ............yap i'm sure there right on that !!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Mudpout wrote: I got a question for you Craig, you are still after your official nickle on nasa lake. You pull up and see guys leaving with their limit of 5+lbs bass, they are allowed right?
Already happened... and yes! They are totally allowed.
Mudpout wrote: Would this not get under your skin?
Absolutely!
Mudpout wrote:They arent doing anything wrong though.
Exactly. This is what I personally would not go off on people on an internet forum for doing so. They are allowed. If it bothered me to that point, I would be morally obligated to actually do something about it. At least try anyway!
Mudpout wrote: I apologize if i come off as combative, it seems alot of my emails or posts wether on a forum or at work are percieved that way.
No worries Mudpout. I like the fact that we can have this type of discussion without it degrading into a sandbox war! I actually agree with most of what you are saying. But my bone of contention is always the same; point that moralistic gun at those who can do something about it. Not at law abiding citizens.
Mudpout wrote: What i meant by the no brainer part is that if you really stop and look at the situation, morally the answer should be clear. It comes down to kill or let live.
This where it all falls apart in my opinion. There are basic morals that are universal.... no murder... no rape... love children... things like that. No argument from me. But the minute you start to force your peripheral morals on me... well... that is where we have a problem.

When I put a 303 bullet in the middle of a year old heifer's forehead to pay for some hay... and I have someone harping about how cruel I am... or when I eat a rabbit... or when I covet my neighbors wife.... and someone wants to tell me how wrong I am... unless you are her husband, that sets me off.

If I am within the law... enjoying the fruits of an adult and legal life... leave me and my choices alone.

Currently, the choice of weather or not to harvest any legal fish the that of the person who caught it. No one else. They should not be berated for exercising that right.

Craig
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

fatluke wrote:I don't see a problem keeping a giant eye for the wall...

I do see a problem keeping giant fish to eat.

Thats the best comment I have read on hear yet. I only harvest walleye in the winter but if it's over 4lbs it goes back to the water.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I gather all hunters will stop hunting so we keep our sustainable resources ............yap i'm sure there right on that !!
I hunt, its our heritage. On the same note i don't agree with trophy hunting. A big buck, and of course this is subjective, does not taste as good as a younger one. I've guided for black bear hunts and to be honest i thought it was kinda sad. We knew excactly when those big boars were coming to eat our bait. We'd plant a hunter a few dozen yards from it at the right time of day and if he can hit the side of a barn, he was getting a bear. Watch those bears come in, so curious, majestic beasts. Then have some american pop a 7mil mag into it and blow the opposite shoulder off with the exit wound, come back to camp proud as a peacock.

Craig, we had chickens and rabbits growing up, the rabbits were killed by swinging their heads onto the cocnrete steps, the chickens were beheaded. My father is a vet, heck, you might even know him, i think he goes that far. I've held family dogs while they are euthinized, watched him perform field autopsies with a chain saw. What i am getting at is that i am not overly sensitive, but perhaps somewhat desensitized to aminals and death, much like a farmer would be. I think there is a big diff between wild game and farm raised animals..apple and oranges.

Since we are debating morals vs law. Here is one you can appreciate as a father. Your daughter is 16 and is going out with a 45 yrs old. It's legal, but would you not greet that dude the same way you see your cows off?
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I FISH IT'S MY HERITAGE I EAT FISH IT'S MY HERITAGE AND I KEEP FISH IT'S MY RIGHT
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

You've compared a Bear and a mans daughter being dated by someone 3 x her age to a Walleye? Not cool!

Your hunting argument conflicts that of your fishing argument....beleive it or not hunting and fishing are both part of our heritage.