Fishing Lake Scugog

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
hlolver
Participant
Participant

Fishing Lake Scugog

Post by hlolver »

I hope to spend most of a day fishing on Lake Scugog with a freind next week. We just hope to catch few fish -- bass, walleye, mucsky -- it doesn't matter. Any suggestions as to where to look and what to use.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I have only fished Scugog about a half dozen times and only for muskie. We always trolled along the end of the channel using 6" jointed Stalker lures by Drifter tackle, or larger buck tail spinner baits. Water visibility is usually very poor, so we always used bright colours and check your baits often for weeds. We usually trolled fast 3mph plus and our lure we usually only 50 feet or less behind the boat.

Good luck.

JimW
hlolver
Participant
Participant

Post by hlolver »

Thank you, we'll be sure to let you know if we catch a Musky.
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Scugog

Post by Joey Rat »

I was there at the end of July and we launched out of Scugog Island Marina. It's a shallow lake and maybe the only lake I fished this summer where the fish were where I thought they should be. No deep cold water spots for the fish to hide on this lake.

Anyhow I was throwing wacky worms in a black/brown garlic (BaitGirl), some black Gulp Sinking Minnows some shallow cranks and frogs on the pads. We had about a dozen bass all told with a 4.9 largie and 4.2 smallie as big fish, both came on a wacky worm. I also had a 3.6 largie on a spro popper frog.

We basically just cruised the lake at the north end of the island.

Good luck
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
hlolver
Participant
Participant

Post by hlolver »

Thanks for the great information and suggestions!
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

i get out there about 20 times a year. its the closest lake to the dirty shwa where i live. as far as bass goes, you can have good days or really really really bad ones depending on the weather. i tend to stick with jigs, punch baits and frogs to target the big girls. smaller baits will produce better numbers of fish

haven't fished for musky there yet this year. it has a good population of small to mid size esox, with the odd long & skinny one.

try fishing adjacent to the deeper water. don't get sucked into one of the big flats that goes on forever. all your classic dark water colors will produce for either buckets or skis.
hlolver
Participant
Participant

Post by hlolver »

Excellent info -- thank you