All anglers should be concerned about this

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

All anglers should be concerned about this

Post by mikemicropterus »

:D Once again the EPA is trying to ban lead for fishing tackle.

I know this is in the states but it will happen here if it happen there.

Go to this website and let your voice be heard so they don't BAN LEAD FROM FISHING TACKLE

http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/is ... b=16355526
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

You are sponsored by Tru_Tungsten weights.... yet are advocating for the continued use of lead in weights.

Can you explain??? (not trying to be rude, serious Q)
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

it's looking to the future

:D Good point and I'm glad you picked up on that.

I'm sponsored by Tru-Tungsten for three reasons.

1. Finesse fishing tungsten has a smaller profile for the same size weight in lead. Less visible to the fish.

2. Tungsten 1.5 ounce weigths are significanlty smaller than a comparable lead weight and when you are trying to punch a weight through thick matt the smaller the size of the weight the easier it is to get through than the same weight in lead. And a 1.5 ounce lead weight takes up a lot of room in a tackle box.

3. The future, I am a forward looking pro-active person who sees the big picture and I see eventually the lobby to ban lead as winning this debate no matter how misguided it maybe. I want to be ready to supply that demand when it comes. I see the average fisherman as not too concerned with this until it is on their fornt door step and that maybe too late. No offense meant. But being human beings with human nature as our guide and not logical thinking we will let this lobby win unless it is met with the same fervour as the opposition. Most of our legislation to-day is purpotrated by lobby or self interest groups who are concerned for only their own ideals not the whole. And a lot of their ideals not are based on science but emotion and shock value. :D

Thanks for the question. :D
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

My take ... and perhaps you are not going to like it ... whats the big deal with switching to another metal ... i've read the arguments in the article and there does not seem to be a compelling argument to continue using lead. Don't get me wrong, since I don't have a strong opinion either way however if I have to pay a little more $$ and it might work almost as good as lead (or perhaps as good eventually) then why not ... even the skeptics say it will reduce bird deaths, etc ... yes by only 1% or something but if it's a minor inconvenience for me than why not save a few animals. I have my doubts that anglers are going to give up the sport en masse given that they need to toss something other than lead to catch a fish.

Way back when we had the same questions about lead shot for hunting many of us voluntarily switched to non lead ... contrary to what everyone said I got just as many birds ... and it saved a few more in the process.

Thats just my take ... disagree if you wish ... it's a healthy debate ...
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

and I will sell you all the tungsten you want

:D I agree with you Paul. I'm just saying that it will drive up the costs and to some it may lead to a decline in the amount of fishing they do. It may also put a few companies out of business and what about the guys who make their own jigs that will not continue. The compnaies who see this as inevitable are already making weights from different materials.

You have to agree that the first substitites for lead in bird shot were not the best or so I have been told by duck and goose hunters.

It's mostly the way they(EPA) are trying to implement this ban. Based on special interest groups and not the science. I have read many studies on the effects on birds of lead sinkers and the way some groups state the facts they blow it way out of proportion for shock value. It's more about continued government intervention in your leisure time than anything. I'm not advocating anarchy just pragmatism.

wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

As with any debate, there are truths and exaggerations on both sides of the issue, I'm sure! :roll:

When we 1st started using the non-lead split shots, it was irritating only because they are not as malleable in the fingers. It's harder for me to pinch a metal split shot closed vs. the soft lead type.

I've taken to using a small pliers to assist with this job.

Other than that, I have no qualms about the switch. It was truly no skin off my nose and it hasn't caused me to fish less or differently or how many fish I catch. And like Dead Weight said, if it's even just a little better for the environment and wildlife, I'm all for that.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: and I will sell you all the tungsten you want

Post by Fishboy »

mikemicropterus wrote::D I agree with you Paul. I'm just saying that it will drive up the costs and to some it may lead to a decline in the amount of fishing they do. It may also put a few companies out of business and what about the guys who make their own jigs that will not continue. The compnaies who see this as inevitable are already making weights from different materials.
I don't mean this to attack you or to be rude, however, I believe there are flaws in these parts of your argument.

How much of an increase in costs are we talking about here? Would it really enough to prevent people fishing? Would it be hundreds of dollars per season or tens of dollars per season? Personally, I think the cost differential will be minimal to negligible over what it is now.

You wrote about companies going out of business, but in the same paragraph also wrote about these same companies adapting to the change. This also brings me to a point you failed to consider: more companies producing the same product usually results in more competition which can make costs to the consumer far more attractive than before. Also, more competition means more jobs.

Again, I'm not attacking you. I understand what you are saying, but I don't agree with your argument.

As for increased government intervention in our lives, that's a whole other argument. It's up to each of us to decide whether a lead ban would necessarily fall on the side of good or bad intervention. Personally, I see it as good intervention since it has a positive environmental impact.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

There has been a lead sinker ban in most National Parks for a few years now. At least in places like Gros Morne, Cape Breton Highlands and I'm pretty sure that the western Nat.Parks such as Baniff, Waterton Lakes are the same as well.
Steady Eddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steady Eddy »

When I go out and have a good day of fishing, it is not at all due to the lead weights I use. When I go out and have a bad day of fishing, it is not at all due to the lead weights I use. Kind of seems like a no brainer to me, unless you are'nt a fan of loons and the like....
Steady.

Born To Fish, Forced To Work.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

mikemicropterus wrote::

1 .I'm just saying that it will drive up the costs and to some it may lead to a decline in the amount of fishing they do.

2. It may also put a few companies out of business and what about the guys who make their own jigs that will not continue.

Bass Addict thinks for a couple of seconds.......

1 . Lead to the decline of fishing they do....What ?? Do you know guys/girls that spend thousands and thousands of Dollars a year on lead weights... :? :shock:

If the price of weed went up a dollar a joint ...Would that lead to the number of joints one smokes in a day... :roll:

2. Companies would go out of buisness ..So what....happens everyday .

Lead is poisonous , the less of it around the better ..
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Bass Addict wrote:
mikemicropterus wrote::

If the price of weed went up a dollar a joint ...Would that lead to the number of joints one smokes in a day... :roll:

Lead is poisonous , the less of it around the better ..

AS IS!

HANDS DOWN!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Bass Addict wrote:Bass Addict thinks for a couple of seconds.......

1 . Lead to the decline of fishing they do....What ?? Do you know guys/girls that spend thousands and thousands of Dollars a year on lead weights... :? :shock:

I do BA...that guy who was just caught cheating in the states....Bet he does!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

How would they enforce this????? Selling them I can see, but the guy who makes his own????? I'm just curious

Thanks
Jeff
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

almontefisher wrote:
Bass Addict wrote:Bass Addict thinks for a couple of seconds.......

I do BA...that guy who was just caught cheating in the states....Bet he does!!
Good one Peter.. :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

petawawarace wrote:How would they enforce this????? Selling them I can see, but the guy who makes his own????? I'm just curious

Thanks
Jeff
How do they enforce the led shot ban?

I would think it would apply the exact same way. There are people that still make their own shot a la led.. guaranteed. Just not being sold I suppose.

Craig