Boat operators card

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Nick
Participant
Participant

Boat operators card

Post by Nick »

Hello I'm new to this board.I've been to Canada 5 times in the past fishing for walleyes & pike.I have a US Coast Guard license since 1990.I'm licensed for inshore/offshore to 100 nm.Is my license good to operate vessels for pleasure fishing in Canada?I'd like to fish Bay of Quinte for Walleyes.Is there any shallow water light tackle fishing available there?If so when would be a good time to pick TIA Nick
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Hi ... I'll leave the fishing question to the others here since i haven't fished that area ... but I believe the boaters exam is a good question ... I know for residents it does not matter if you are a master seaman with 50 years at the helm, you still need the boaters card up here to use a 12 footer ... but for non residents I'm not sure .. .heres a website to browse around and see if your question is answered there ...

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nick
The prev link was a for-profit business.

This is the official site...
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/de ... r-1610.htm

If you are bringing your own boat, and will be here <45days, you don't need anything. If you are renting a boat up here, you only need the renters checklist. So save your money for gas instead. :D

As for the Quinte Walleye... end of October through November is primetime. Earlier in Oct is more comfortable, but the big eyes may be further out in the reach. I'll let others take if from here... Superdad and Eye-Tracker, or Scott at West Lake Willows are all members on this site and fish BOQ more than I do.

Have a good safe trip. And post a report on this site when you get home!
West Lake Willows
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by West Lake Willows »

Out 4 trout is spot on. Late october and november is prime time on quinte for the big fall walleye. These fish for the most part will be suspended over deep water until late november when they move in shallower but then they are usually tight to bottom.

Fall generally isn't a good time for shallow water walleye fishing as the fish push out of shallow water weed beds as they die and become oxygen depleted zones. This puts the fish in deeper lake basins. If you make it up soon there is still a shallow water weed line bite right now.

Scott
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

oops sorry nick .. i saw Bob on the web page I found first and I thought he was associated with the province of ON boaters exam .. i didn't even check the URL ... out4Trout is definitely on the ball with the non res info ...thanks
Nick
Participant
Participant

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys.How about spring?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Nick wrote:Thanks guys.How about spring?
Hey Nick.....check your pm I sent you!
Nick
Participant
Participant

Post by Nick »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Nick wrote:Thanks guys.How about spring?
Hey Nick.....check your pm I sent you![/quote I'm off next week.I keep a boat at a private club/marina near Baltimore.We're catching Stripers on top water,trolling & live baiting in the 24 in. range.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Nick,

You can get them shallow in the fall if you want to fish at night. Many of the points and shallow reefs will hold some fish under the protection of darkness.

The bite is a hit and miss depending on weather and bait movements, but as mentioned by Scott a majority of the fish are suspended over deep water or they can be jigged up on light tackle from 30 plus feet of water.

If you want fishing information/reports before you make your trip feel free in contacting me as I fish 4 to 6 days a week on Quinte during the October November rush.

-s
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye