I love fishing the Jock!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I love fishing the Jock!!!!

Post by Placide »

Last three outings, 4 walleye, numerous pike, a huge small mouth and a nice muskie caught tonight!!!! All caught on different parts of the river :D
I should really bring my camera with me.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

funny I you should post this about the Jock as a buddy and where coming back from fishing the Rideau and where wondering if the Jock had anything good left to offer. What size where the fish you caught?
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Please do. Would like to see some pics.

E
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

It's very underrrated ... I wanted to try out my new fly rod .. so me and the mutt went down prince hwy 16 to where the jock empties into the rideau and then followed it up into the woods ... caught tons of smallmouth ... no size nut lots and lots ... great spot
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Yes, I caught many of my first species there whan I was a child. I had a relative that owned a farm along the bank of that river. I never knew what I was going to catch. That was many years ago and that river still holds a special place to me in my heart.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

My buddy used to live backing on to the jock, I use to think he was lying about what he'd catch until I went to fish with him.....it is pretty underated for sure.
Homer Is King
Participant
Participant

Post by Homer Is King »

I grew up in Richmond, Ontario. The Jock River runs through it. I spent countless hours as a young kid on the banks of this river. My dad loves the outdoors but was into fishing much. I loved it and was mostly self taught. I caught sunfish, perch, rockbass, catfish, walleye, large and small mouth bass out of that river. I had even heard rumours of Musky but never hooked into one.

I was visiting my parents for the August long weekend last year. I took my canoe “The Mighty Bobber” out, loaded my dad and the 3 oldest into it and hit the Jock River!

We put in below "The Bridge" and paddled about 1 km up stream. We then drifted and fished back down stream. It only took us about 15 minutes but it was the hottest 15 minutes of fishing I had done all summer. There was a storm coming and the fish were biting!

We landed a bunch of little smallies. We then got to the bridge. I know there was a deep hole on one side...I cast my hair jig into it and BANG – fish on! After a good fight I land a 15” small mouth. Not a monster but a solid fish for this tiny river!

I wanted to do the run again but it was getting late and I had already lost one of my kids.

Even though it was short it is a trip the will remain in my memory. Fishing my old stomping grounds with my kids and my Dad on a beautiful evening - and we nailed fish! It doesn’t get much better than that.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Homer Is King wrote:I grew up in Richmond, Ontario. The Jock River runs through it. I spent countless hours as a young kid on the banks of this river. My dad loves the outdoors but was into fishing much. I loved it and was mostly self taught. I caught sunfish, perch, rockbass, catfish, walleye, large and small mouth bass out of that river. I had even heard rumours of Musky but never hooked into one.

I was visiting my parents for the August long weekend last year. I took my canoe “The Mighty Bobber” out, loaded my dad and the 3 oldest into it and hit the Jock River!

We put in below "The Bridge" and paddled about 1 km up stream. We then drifted and fished back down stream. It only took us about 15 minutes but it was the hottest 15 minutes of fishing I had done all summer. There was a storm coming and the fish were biting!

We landed a bunch of little smallies. We then got to the bridge. I know there was a deep hole on one side...I cast my hair jig into it and BANG – fish on! After a good fight I land a 15” small mouth. Not a monster but a solid fish for this tiny river!

I wanted to do the run again but it was getting late and I had already lost one of my kids.

Even though it was short it is a trip the will remain in my memory. Fishing my old stomping grounds with my kids and my Dad on a beautiful evening - and we nailed fish! It doesn’t get much better than that.

Awesome post.
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Placide »

The Jock is great, takes patience to fish, but usually pays off if you keep trying, not like fishing the Rideau or the Ottawa. When I am out in my Sportspal Canoe I rarely see anyone else! Nice and peaceful.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Homer Is King wrote:

Good thing you have a pic supporting this statement! he he he.

I'm thinking I should give the Jock a try before the end of the year....

E
Placide
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Placide »

Old report from fishing the Jock, but there are pictures of fish for you!

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... ht=placide
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

I fished the Jock for 30 minutes on Saturday and hooked into 4 nice 2lbs. smallies. I didn't know what kind of fish was in there and I tried for bss right of the bat and got rewarded. The wind wasn't really helping though so we headed back in. I will definitely try it again. I fished from shore in the Richmond area.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Me TOOOOOO!

Placide drove by my place today with his canoe on his truck....he only had to ask once if I wanted to go.

In 2 hours we boated 6 pike, biggest at 30 inches, and one big MOTHER bass that I think would qualify him for the nickel club.

Oh and of course all fish were caught on my spinnerbaits too.

Thanks bud, that was fun.