Canoe Pack vs Canoe Barrel ???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Canoe Pack vs Canoe Barrel ???

Post by dead_weight »

I am thinking of purchasing some decent gear for canoe or kayak trips ... I'm torn between getting a Canoe pack (e.g. Hooligan Gear Deluxe Canoe Pack) or a Canoe Barrel with harness. I know many of you don't canoe or kayak fish so I won't bore you with details, pros, cons, etc of each. I'm basically looking for some opinions from people that have used either or both and what you experience was like ... they are roughly the same price ... i am leaning towards a canoe pack but the barrel has some pretty good qualities as well ...

Thanks guys !!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

For general gear I guess I'd say that I'd prefer the canoe pack, even though you need to purchase separate waterproof storage bags for your gear. the barrels are definitely an advantage for carrying your food as they're easy to clean and offer pretty good protection from animals, though a persistant bear will still get into them.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
gwright
Participant
Participant

Post by gwright »

I prefer a pack. The outcast packs are waterproof.

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/pro ... t=11&id=44
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i got barrel and got pack.

i like them both....but the barrel is not mutch squizable like apack..ahahaha..you can pack the pack and tooss it in the corner etc..the barrel take a lot off space..and even wen you dont have stuff in it anymore its still the same size the pack if you have food or something it will get smaller.hahaha

pack is the way to go....and easy to store it the rest off the year.

joco
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Barrels are much more waterproof and reduce food smells. Although barrel harnesses have come a long way, they will never be as comfortable as a canoe pack or backpack. So, here is my pick:

white water trip:
Barrels only. They may have to take a swim down a set of rapids.

Flat water trip with little portaging:
canoe pack for gear
barrel for food, which I probably wont hang from a tree at night...

flat water trip with lots of portaging:
canoe packs
Food is hung from a tree at night

As far as which pack to get, if you plan to do any portaging make sure you get one with a good harness with hip belt. My buddy bought a Eureka Storm Shield 115 liter pack this year. The first trip we were in love with it. Waterproof, great harness, lots of grab handles, etc. The second trip several holes were worn into it. This pack was not abused. I am very disappointed in the durability.

I think my next purchase will probably be a Seal line pro pack (115 liter). They are super durable and seem to have an okay harness. A little more pricey at $165 though. I have used the Sealine boundary packs and find them annoying with no hip belt. They are cheap and durable, but a pain on long portages.

If you get a pack that isn't waterproof, do not forget to add the cost of waterproof pack liners. It may be worth spending a little more money for a fully waterproof pack.

As far as barrel harnesses go, I think the best one I have used is the Trailhead one. Which I noticed is on sale: http://www.trailhead.ca/node/800

I have a little pet peeve about barrels. They shouldn't cost nearly as much as they do. They are all recycled containers, and even marketed as such (eco-friendly recycled container!). My buddy's dad bought about 8 of them for $5 each a few years back from a recycler. Someone is making a lot of money when they charge us $70 for a recycled piece of plastic.

Hope this helps.
Rob
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Hi guys ... Rob .. .got your PM ... normally i am easily confused but I understand this one ... I think I'll likely get both eventually ... this year I'm leaning towards the pack and will check out the one you mention ... ditto on the one you also mention gwright ...

Thanks again guys ... this helps immensely ...