Drop Shotting in Current

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Drop Shotting in Current

Post by Seabass81 »

Alright so if the moons line up I make a early morning run to St-Francis this thursday . I have fished there only once and had little success. I am hoping there will be some smallies swimming on the shallow flats that surround the south lancaster area .

If thats not the case I plan on doing a little drop shotting for them. Last time I had a hard time telling myself that I was presenting the bait properly . I didnt have trouble with bottom contact but was constantly dragging the tungsten wait as the current pulled us a long at over 1mph .

What is the proper way to fish these heavy currents? I have an anchor but hate using it while bass fishing. Should I nose into the current and use the TM to try and hold my ground or is it alright to drag bottom with it ?

Off the drop shot topic but when do the fish usualy move on to the flats ? I know where I normaly fish as the season gets later they get deeper all the way into the fall. But I thought I heard late fall is when these guys moved in shallow .

All I want is to get into some big smallies . If there shallow any techniques that you recomend?
stclairhound
Participant
Participant

Post by stclairhound »

You will need an electric motor so you can match the current speed as you drift. You will have to adjust the speed of the electric motor to match the current speed. This may take some practice but will allow you to make the verticle presentation. We use the same method in the Detroit River jig fishing for walleye.
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

smallies

Post by boogie »

Hey Seabass81, find them with the spinnerbait/jerkbait, then tossed them the drop shot/jig, don't worry you'll find them.
Boogie
Poisson On !
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

smallies

Post by boogie »

Hey Seabass81, throw them the spinnerbait/jerkbait and once they've showed themselves, then you can finish them off with the drop shot/jig. Don't worry you'll get them.
Boogie
Poisson On !
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I'm not an expert on St Francis. However, I do fish smallmouth quite extensively on several other waterbodies.
I doubt you'll tie into many big smallies shallow unless you're night fishing. Esp with the heat this week - and certainly if it is bright & sunny, I'd recommend fishing deeper off the shoals. Start at 10' and work down until you find them. My $$ would be on 20'-30' mid-day.
Heavy Torpedo jigs w/ tubes would be my choice, with a dozen minnows as emergency backup.

FWIW
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

smallies

Post by boogie »

Seabass81, trust me, try 4 - 10 fow., you'll be surprised. My buddy won a tournament when the weather was hot, humid and sunny, and the water depth was 4-8 fow. Been practising for the B1, you can still get them pretty shallow.
Boogie
Poisson On !
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

One of the unfortunate problems faced with dropshotting is that most comercially produced weights top out at 1/2oz.

1/2oz is for the most part a boy doing a man's job in the St. Lawrence.

When I dropshot the St. Lawrence I usually start with a 5/8oz. D/S weight which is the heaviest I can pour from my Do-it D/S mold. I have some home made 3/4 & 1oz D/S weights that I use on the St. Lawrence. I prefer to fish vertical to keep the hang-ups to a minimum.

You need to control your boat's drift to match the speed of your D/S rig's drift in the current.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
uglyfish
Participant
Participant

Post by uglyfish »

i fish the niagara river all the time and most of the time, its hard to hold a bait verticle. we drag out dropshot rigs quite often, just as u would a tube and catch a lot of fish that way. thing to remember is, when ur dragging a dropshot rig, u need to extend ur lead. the more of an angle u have on ur line, the longer ur lead needs to be to keep it off the bottom and holding at the depth u want it too.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Lots of good Drop Shot'n info here... great stuff - thanks fellas.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

Have you tried carolina rigging? You can match weight to current easier and don't need to remain vertical,it will produce huge fish with live bait or you can twitch tubes along a shoal or dropoff,or walk it out into deeper water.