Muskie and Pike together

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Muskie and Pike together

Post by petawawarace »

Guys,

I've been fishing a body of water for my entire life, and have caught several nice Muskie out of it. It is known for its good Muskie fishing. I remember years ago someone mentioned that they had caught a pike, and everyone kind of said sure-sure it was probly a Muskie. My grandfather (now passed) had sworn there were no Pike in there (only Muskie)

Now this year I myself have caught several Pike (including 2 small ones last night)

Why would after so many years Pike start appearing here? It is a river system that feeds from some of the best Muskie fishing spots in Ontario (Mcmanus Lake)

And can the 2 survive together?

Thanks,
Jeff
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

Well it seems they can share some waters quite well like the Ottawa or great lakes, G-Bay, lac seul, eagle lake etc. On the other hand, for water systems like the kawarthas it's imbending doom. Prob is pike spawn earlier then muskie, by the time muskie fry hatch they are perfect size for juvinile pike food. An article i read recently stated that certain muskie populations have learned, or evolved to deal with this, whereas the kawarthas muskie have not. I assume in the kawarthas, since it is such shallow and weedy lakes( for the most part) that the 2 species would be forced to share habitat and spawning grounds, this would lead to the problem that these other larger, deeper lakes will not experience.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

warning, post from someone who knows nothing...

that said, i believe river musky are different than lake musky, the latter being significantly more "fragile" and even more so when it comes to competition from pike.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Hookup wrote:warning, post from someone who knows nothing...
That should be my sig file!

Musky and Pike...

According to the QC MNR... they see pike as an invasive species in some water systems and indicate that they will supplant musky in many areas.

Craig
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Or they make out and we get tiger muskie allover the place.

BM
Last edited by bm_attar on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

Jeff, McManus Lake is part of the Petawawa river system that flows into Black Bay and onto the Ottawa river. Pike in Mcmanus is only logical as there is both in Black Bay as well.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

The never used to be any Pike in Black Bay...My family has lived there for 50+ years and just in the last few years have we caught any Pike....I'm not sure if its affecting the Muskie yet, but I hope it doesn't