What's your rod and reel combo???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Rod and reel

Post by Hollywood »

Seaweed wrote:Think Pfleuger

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/

Experience and history Says it all
The only thing about Pfleuger is, as I understand it, it isn't truly pfleuger anymore. They are owned by Shakespere.
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Rod and reel

Post by biggs »

Hollywood wrote:
Seaweed wrote:Think Pfleuger

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/

Experience and history Says it all
The only thing about Pfleuger is, as I understand it, it isn't truly pfleuger anymore. They are owned by Shakespere.
Shakespeare does not own Pfleuger. Pflueger is owned by Pure Fishing and Pure Fishing also owns Shakespeare, Abu Garcia, Berkley, Penn, Fenwick and many others.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I like this post..you know I was sick the last few days so I organized my rods and reels and while doing this I realized two things.

1) I have 12 rod and reels

2) I do not and have never focused on the brand name really. I do have two faithfuls that I have tried other brands with and came back to them and that is my St-Criox for trout. I may have spelled that wrong :oops: The only thing I seem to focus on more now then I did before is the action on it. I guess I just have not tried enough brands to really notice or care about the difference between them but I do care about how they respond to the fish.

Huh...Now has this affected my fishing?? If it has then dang I am a very good fisherman because I thought I do pretty well. :lol: 8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

I think there was a time where Hollywood was right about that. Before Pure Fishing took over. I could be wrong though since i cant remember where i heard or read this.

Personally , my fave 3 combo's are

Stradic Ci4 2500 w/ 6ft Crucial
Abu garcia Revo Toro w/ 7ft Crucial
Calcutta or Corsair w/7 ft Compre

For anyone who hasn't tried out the Ci4 i strongly suggest trying one out. I was very sketical at first but was quickly made a firm believer.
8 foot St. Croix Legend Tournament,Medium light fast, matched with Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 x3
I would think Big-O would echo this, damn that is a sick arsenal you have! Did you balance those 8 footers Big-O or leave as is?
painter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Some of the stuff in my boat.

Post by painter »

This time last year I got rid of a whole bunch of older and "middle of the road" gear and went all new........

Flippin
7'5" G Loomis Mossy Back - Shimano Curado E7 - 50 lb Power Pro

Frog
G Loomis Mag Heavy Frog Rod - Shimano Curado E7 - 50 lb P.P.

Spinnerbait
G Loomis Spinnerbait Rod - Shimano Curado E7 - 20 lb P-line Co-poly

Tubes

G Loomis Bronzeback 7'6" - Shimano Saros - 30 lb P.P.
G Loomis Bronzeback 6'10" - Shimano Saro - 30 lb P.P.

Topwater
St. Croix Avid 6'6" M-H - Shimano Curado 101 - 17 lb Co-poly.

Dropshot
Shimano Crucial M-H - Shimano Symetre - 20 lb P.P.

Jig
HMX Custom rod 7' M-H (Built by MLS ........the man with the plan ! )
- Shimano Curado E7 - 50 lb P.P.

Crankbait & Senko......

Some assorted BPS spinning rods etc........don't really throw crankbaits so much........

Now get out on the water and get fishin' !!

T
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Mudpout wrote:I think there was a time where Hollywood was right about that. Before Pure Fishing took over. I could be wrong though since i cant remember where i heard or read this.

For anyone who hasn't tried out the Ci4 i strongly suggest trying one out. I was very sketical at first but was quickly made a firm believer.
8 foot St. Croix Legend Tournament,Medium light fast, matched with Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 x3
I would think Big-O would echo this, damn that is a sick arsenal you have! Did you balance those 8 footers Big-O or leave as is?
No I didn't, the CI4 are light and with the 8 foot rod it is a little tip heavy, but i can live with it, I took a 10 pound laker this spring jigging. from 100 feet, the Shimano CI4 Drag worked like a charm , when i got it to the surface.. and it seen the net.... it took off right back to the bottom, we watched it go on the graph :lol: I wrestled it back up to the net.... from the day on, I'm 100% believer ...a Fantastic reel... I was talking to ED today... another couple my be on tap, I'm going to replace the Stradic Mg's

Heres the fish

john c
Participant
Participant

Re: Some of the stuff in my boat.

Post by john c »

painter wrote:This time last year I got rid of a whole bunch of older and "middle of the road" gear and went all new........
T
Caught the same bug a couple years ago, i've replaced everything with loomis as well. This year i was dumb enough to try out a glx and now i've got 3, plus the 10 other loomis i have, and they're all geared for walleye.

favorite set-up

Ci4 2500 w/ 6'8" glx, insane how much this weighs
a little confession though, it's actually the wife as it's a great way to get her out fishing.

john
John Cheng
Eastern Lake Ontario Walleye Guide - Kingston
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

I also love this thread, in the past 5 years I have focused on Carp fishing and have 20 rod/reel carp combos (yet can only fish one at a time :twisted: come on 2 line limit :idea: ).

My favorite rod and reel cobo "so far" is a 13' Nash Venom 3lbs TC rod and an incredibly smooth Daiwa Basia QDX reel.
Last edited by Iceman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CityIt
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CityIt »

Spinning: 7' Compre Medium w/ fast tip. Mated with a 2500 Shimano Symetery reel.

Casting: 7'2 Vendetta Extra heavy / fast tip. Mated to a Shimano Citica.

Crappie/Panfish: 6'6 Rapala, 2-piece. Crappy tire special.
Mike_D
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike_D »

Well I can't read all these posts and not include my collection to the discussion:

Spinning
Shimano Sustain 2500FE/3000FE Dobyns Extreme 743
Shimano Cumara 7'2' MH
Shimano Stradic 2500 CI4 Powell Max Wacky Rig Rod
Shimano Stradic 2500FH Shimano Crucial 6'8' M XF
Shimano Stradic 2500FH St. Croix Avid 6'8' M XF
Shimano Stradic 1000F Daiwa Fuego 6'9' ML XF

BAIT CASTING
Abu Garcia Toro 50-HS Dobyn's Champion Casting 795 ML SB
Shimano Curado 200E7 E21 Carrot Stix LTX 7'6' H F
Shimano Curado 200E7 Dobyn's Champion Casting 736
Shimano Curado 200E5 E21 Carrot Stix LTX 7'3'
Team Daiwa Zillion 100SHA Daiwa Zillion 7'0' MH F
Shimano Citica 200E St. Croix Avid 7'0' MH F
Team Daiwa Fuego Daiwa Zillion 6'9' MH XF
Shimano Curado 100D St. Croix Legend Elite 7' M F
Shimano Curado 100D St. Croix Avid 6'8 M XF
Shimano Curado 200E7 Shimano Crucial 6'6' M XF
Shimano Curado 200E5 E21 Carrot Stix LTX 7'2' M
Shimano Curado 200E5 Shimano Crucial Crankbait 7'0' M MF
2010 Revo Premier

CAMPING GEAR ALL 2 Piece Rods
Shimano Citica 100DSV St.Croix Premier 6'6' MH F
Shimano Symetre 2500 Shimano Compre 6'6' MH F
Team Daiwa Tierra 2000 Shimano Compre 7' M F

Those are my tools of the trade!

Mike D
Charles
Participant
Participant

Post by Charles »

almontefisher wrote:I like this post..you know I was sick the last few days so I organized my rods and reels and while doing this I realized two things.

1) I have 12 rod and reels

2) I do not and have never focused on the brand name really. I do have two faithfuls that I have tried other brands with and came back to them and that is my
St-Criox for trout

Which ST-Croix rod are you using for trout, are you jigging,still ot trolling with DR?
Just curious, I have gift certificate waiting to be spend!!!
C.
Charles
Participant
Participant

Post by Charles »

big-o wrote:
Mudpout wrote:I think there was a time where Hollywood was right about that. Before Pure Fishing took over. I could be wrong though since i cant remember where i heard or read this.

Do you prefer Ci4 or Calcutta? I am looking at getting the St-Croix rod but dont know what to get for the reel!! I`m fishing Lakers off the down riggers most of the time, would like your feed back, leening towrds th Ci4!!
Charles